Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 12:23 AM

Monitoring water intake

I only feed my 13 month old in the morning and around dinner, as most people do. So his food intake is monitored, but with past dogs I've always left a bowl of water out all day for the dog to drink when he wants.

However my current rotti will chug as much water as you leave out for him, I feel bad because I go to work and his water dish is empty, and is obviously empty all day.

I guess I'm asking if it's normal for him to drink all his water at once, and if some of you have the same problem what do you do about it?

Old 08-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Valued Member

Re: Monitoring water intake

I have to monitor Baxter's water- he used to chug it all down then it would come back up - I swiched to wet food which cut back his thirst but also have had success using a crate bottle (in his case it is a small gerbil size) but they come in many sizes - you can mount the bottle and holder on anny flat surface and at a height that is appropriate. It keeps the water accessible - but since they have to "work for it" it limits how much is gone at a time.
It also allows you to see in oz how much is being taken in - there are a number of conditions where excessive thirst is a symptom of something wrong - so it is good to know how much they are drinking.
Gone Only From My Eyes - Forever in My Heart

Old 08-29-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky's Mom View Post
I have to monitor Baxter's water- he used to chug it all down then it would come back up.
I think it is normal for him to drink all of his water at once, and the above applies for Kobe as well. He'll chug a bowl and about 3-5 minutes later, it's all over my house. I now try to only give him 1-2 cups at a time, then refill his bowl about 30 minutes later.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:47 PM

Glad to know it's normal to have to watch his water intake.. I've never had to do it before with dogs so I wasn't too sure. Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Monitoring water intake

As someone that has been boarding dogs for many years, and know drinking patterns...it is not normal. The odd dog will drink anything and everything they get....and it's mostly Labs that behave this way. It becomes almost like a habit.
My own Rottweilers and other dogs I've owned have never drank much and we've always had a bowl of water full inside and outside. All of the foster dogs also have self regulated.

What I do with the boarding dogs that will just drink endlessly...is measure it out...about 4-5 times a day. Usually give them a cup or two of water at a time. and after about 6 or 7 p.m. don't give them anymore water.

It can be a medical problem....but if that's been cleared...it's often just a bad habit.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 08-29-2011, 04:57 PM

I leave water down for mine all day and unless it is unusually hot much is not drunk during the day. As soon as we get home and come in from potty there is a lineup at the water bowl. And if they drink as much as they want, which would be the whole bowl, two minutes later it is all over the floor. So they all know to stop drinking when asked.

I also add water to their kibble, to make it easier to go down and this adds to their water consumption.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:58 PM

Hmm okay good to know, I will bring it up at our next vet visit which will be when he gets neutered. I hope it's not a medical issue..