Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 07:21 PM

Canidae makes puppys stool soft

Hey! I have noticed that although she does well with the Canidae, likes the taste, eats it all, healthy coat, good energy. She does have very soft stool and normally has to go twice (goes, then moves a few steps and goes again) the second time always softer than the first. It's also usually REALLY stinky (dunno if that's just a puppy thing though). I do know that my friend said that her puppies (Aussies) don't do well with Canidae but when they are older they are fine. Should I just keep her on it (she's 12 weeks, she is fed Grain-Free ALS 1 cup three times a day) or should I change it and if I should does anyone know whats good for puppies then?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:45 PM

Re: Canidae makes puppys stool soft

I just started my puppy on the Large Breed Canidae and have noticed the same thing. We have also been giving him Sweet Potato rawhides so I though that might be causing the looser stools. Hmmmmm.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Valued Member

The grain free has more calories than the regular canidae.

I know nothing about how much to feed puppies as I adopt/rescue older dogs so hopefully someone will chime in about the amount.

I will say though that if you were feeding 3 cups a day of a different food and switched to this, it's possible she's getting more calories and so being overfed. That's one of the signs....not quite solid poops.

Just curious, what were you feeding before and how long has she been on the canidae grainless? Oh and what flavor? I have found with my crew that poop consistency can vary slightly depending on what brand and what meat source.

**We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant

Old 08-02-2011, 06:33 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Canidae makes puppys stool soft

I agree, you may just be overfeeding her. The food is high in calories. Try cutting back to 3/4 cup of food , three times per day and see what happens.

Also, are you giving any treats, or chewies,etc.?

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSweetK View Post
I just started my puppy on the Large Breed Canidae and have noticed the same thing. We have also been giving him Sweet Potato rawhides so I though that might be causing the looser stools. Hmmmmm.
Rawhides are horrible for dogs. I wouldn't be suprised if it was the rawhides causing your pups loose stool.

Horrible ingredients, no quality control, most of them made overseas. They are notorious for causing stomach upsets and dang near impossible for a dog to digest.

If you want something for you pup to chew on and to keep them busy, go buy some leg bones at the grocery store. Heck any raw meaty bone will do, but the leg bones are nice because the marrow inside. If there is too much marrow it can also cause loose stools so scoop some out, freeze it and refil the bone with the left over marrow at a later time. Knuckle bones are good too.

I bet if you stop the rawhides your pups poop will firm up.

**We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant

Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 AM

Thanks guys! I'll try cutting back her food and see what happens.

I do give her treats but most times its very little (Like I break up the treat into really tiny bits), anybody have any suggestions on good treats to give her? sometimes I'll use her kibbles for the treat, but right now she gets the kibble, or the training blue buffalo treats, or if I want to give her a big treat to munch on she'll get milkbone

Old 08-04-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychik66 View Post
Rawhides are horrible for dogs. I wouldn't be suprised if it was the rawhides causing your pups loose stool.

Horrible ingredients, no quality control, most of them made overseas. They are notorious for causing stomach upsets and dang near impossible for a dog to digest.

If you want something for you pup to chew on and to keep them busy, go buy some leg bones at the grocery store. Heck any raw meaty bone will do, but the leg bones are nice because the marrow inside. If there is too much marrow it can also cause loose stools so scoop some out, freeze it and refil the bone with the left over marrow at a later time. Knuckle bones are good too.

I bet if you stop the rawhides your pups poop will firm up.
I give him Sweet Potato Rawhides made from sweet potatoes. I buy them at the All Natural Pet Store. I am assuming you may of read over the Sweet Potato part. He also gets beef ears, antlers, and a knuckle bone. Nothing store bought or artificial. I have been reading online and some consumer reports said Canidae caused bacterial infections in their dogs due to new formulation. He is still transitioning so I assume this is causing the loose stools. We have almost completely phased out his old food. Thanks for the concern though.