Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 04:14 PM

Is it safe to use human shampoo on a dog?

Just wondering if it's safe to use human shampoo on a puppy? Chloe is getting pretty smelly and I want to give her a bath tonight but I don't have any dog shampoo...should I wait until I'm able to get dog shampoo or is the human stuff okay?

Old 04-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Valued Member

Re: Is it safe to use human shampoo on a dog?

I'd use it. I do if I run out of dog shampoo.
I wouldn't on a coated breed which requires trimming, as the texture goes weird, but for a wash and wear Rottie I cannot see a problem. (Actually I always use no tears baby shampoo on their heads anyway).
Don't use one with a built in conditioner though - just straight shampoo.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 PM

Some brands of shampoo can be a bit harsh and may dry out their skin... I'm not sure there's really a problem with it although I've always used a dog shampoo for my dog.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:52 PM

We only use baby shampoo on our dogs...its the best!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 PM

I also use baby shampoo. We used it a lot as a puppy when he had accidents and somehow managed to get poop all over himself. Now we usually give him a full bath/shower about once every month or two. He plays out in the rain all the time so he usually doesn't need a bath often. It's a plus that they smell like a little cuddly baby after too :)

We used regular shampoo when we had an accident at a friends house and never noticed anything different with his fur or skin.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Novice Member

I made the mistake of bathing my Shih Tzu with people shampoo/conditioner.. once. She felt like a greaseball no matter how much I washed her afterwards, until she went to the groomers. I think like was mentioned earlier tho, that it would be ok with your Chloe, totally diff scenario.
And be ready for the tons of Rotti hair that will be everywhere... XD
I highly suggest taking a comb with you and get as much off as possible before you let her out of the bathroom! Same goes when they have been outside in the rain..

Old 04-25-2011, 10:13 PM

Perhaps someone more experienced can chime in on this but I have read that it was a bad idea. I dont remember the exact context but it had something to do with human shampoos are not meant for a dogs use let alone a puppy.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 PM

Ditto the baby shampoo. It's inexpensive, gentle, smells good, and leaves the coat nice and soft.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:23 PM

Dogs shampoo has a different ph than human shampoo. I don't think it would hurt for 1 use, though. I wet a hand towel with warm water and wipe Katie from head to toe about once a week. It really helps with that dogie smell. I know you are not supposed to bathe Rotties alot but sometimes you just have to, like when they roll on a dead squirrel!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:58 AM

Yes, dog shampoo and people shampoo do have a different pH and it can dry out their coat if used excessively but for a qucik bath every now and then it would be fine to use baby shampoo.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:10 PM

I used to work for a factory that made shampoo and all the beauty supply stuff and we bottled the same shampoo that we used for humans for other animals.and charged more for it. I have used some dog shampoos that dried out his skin and he ended up with scabs all over.So I have to be carfull too.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:03 PM

My Vet used to tell me that Head & Shoulders dandruff shampoo is fine for dogs. I've never tried myself.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:21 PM

Baby shampoo every time - I wouldn't dream of paying over the odds for "dog" shampoo unless it was for a medical reason!

Old 04-27-2011, 06:04 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I used the human stuff and she hasn't seemed itchy or anything, I did get some of the "puppy shampoo" from walmart today so I have some for next time though :)