Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here


Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisiana
Images: 11
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

Thanks for the info...I am not sure if I am going to switch to Canidae or not at this point. I am going to finish the 18 lb. bag of 4Health and see how that sets with Titus. Right now, he has diarrhea with the new food.

About how long does the very very loose stool last when switching a puppy over to a new food? That way I can know if it agreeing with him or not.

He is not throwing up or anything, just diarrhea. Well his stool is formed once or twice during the day and then diarrhea a couple times a day. I am following the feeding instructions on the bag but I am feeding him on the upper end of the instructions. Today I am going to feed him the minimum that is recommended on the bag...Maybe that would help.

Just trying to get a feel for if this food is agreeing with him and about how long I should give it for his stool to harden up????
Reply With Quote


 
  #17  
Old 04-20-2011, 11:37 AM
brunie's mom's Avatar
One of the Old Folks
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Ontario, Canada
Images: 4
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

This puppy is only 9 weeks old? How many different foods has he been on since you had him? How many times has he been wormed? Worms can cause loose stools, as can overfeeding.
Feed him no more then 1/2-3/4 cup per meal....and see how he does. If he keeps having diarrhea...then he needs to see the vet with a fresh stool sample.

Gina
__________________
~~~


(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

* * * * * *
At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14
Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 04-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisiana
Images: 11
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunie's mom View Post
This puppy is only 9 weeks old? How many different foods has he been on since you had him? How many times has he been wormed? Worms can cause loose stools, as can overfeeding.
Feed him no more then 1/2-3/4 cup per meal....and see how he does. If he keeps having diarrhea...then he needs to see the vet with a fresh stool sample.

Gina
He has been wormed 3 times since birth. He was just wormed at the vet's on April 8th. His stool sample was clean, the vet said, but as routine, he worms them anyway.

He is 9 weeks and this is his 2nd dog food...I am feeding him less than the recommended amount. It calls for 2 1/3 - 3 1/2 cups daily for his age and weight.

I feed him 2 cups for the whole day...of course I break it up...but it equals 2 cups...

I was just wondering from those of you who have tried different foods...about how many days should I give him for his stool to harden before looking at a different food or bringing him to the vet, because I know it can take a little while for his lil tummy to adjust...I just don't know how long????
Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Houston/Galveston, TX
Images: 8
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

I have been really lucky, my puppy was 9 weeks when we got him and had been fed someting crappy like Pedigree. His breath reeked so bad I immediately switched him to Blue Buffalo LB puppy. He did great with no nticeable stool changes except gradually pooped less. Finished 15 lb. bag and bought TOTW at Tractor Supply because I wanted something to feed my 6 yr. rottie and puppy. At my tractor supply it was cheaper than BB and a few others. I love it. Again, there was no real stool changes except slightly softer maybe. He is now almost 14 weeks. Also, I used to have a really hard time geting my female to eat and she was super skinny, she loves both these brands and finishes all her meals and is now a healthy weight. Many will disagree, but if it works with your puppy I find switching sometimes keeps them interested and I like the variety of ingredients. That being said, My previous female couldn't barely look at another food without getting upset stomach! One thing I've noticed about Taste of the Wild is that my dogs aren't getting fat, (still doing the rib check), but are really building density and muscle mass. Good luck, I have heard great things about Kirklands but Costo is too far and a hassle for me.
Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 04-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisiana
Images: 11
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrtevino View Post
I have been really lucky, my puppy was 9 weeks when we got him and had been fed someting crappy like Pedigree. His breath reeked so bad I immediately switched him to Blue Buffalo LB puppy. He did great with no nticeable stool changes except gradually pooped less. Finished 15 lb. bag and bought TOTW at Tractor Supply because I wanted something to feed my 6 yr. rottie and puppy. At my tractor supply it was cheaper than BB and a few others. I love it. Again, there was no real stool changes except slightly softer maybe. He is now almost 14 weeks. Also, I used to have a really hard time geting my female to eat and she was super skinny, she loves both these brands and finishes all her meals and is now a healthy weight. Many will disagree, but if it works with your puppy I find switching sometimes keeps them interested and I like the variety of ingredients. That being said, My previous female couldn't barely look at another food without getting upset stomach! One thing I've noticed about Taste of the Wild is that my dogs aren't getting fat, (still doing the rib check), but are really building density and muscle mass. Good luck, I have heard great things about Kirklands but Costo is too far and a hassle for me.
Thanks for your personal encounter. It really is helpful. I was looking last night at Petsmart at Blue Buffalo because my Titus's stool isn't hardening with 4Health. I also noticed that eventhough there is 3 lbs less of BB than 4Health, BB requires much less to feed him. Approximately 1 cup a day!!! for his weight and age...I am now feeding at least double that of 4Health. So, I guess I am going to try to finish this bag of 4 Health and then go with BB....Maybe that will help a great deal!
Reply With Quote


  #21  
Old 04-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Newburyport, MA/USA
Images: 3
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

I'm not keen on that food either but changing his food too often can cause worse stomach upset. Try adding some canned pumpkin OR plain yogurt to your pups food for a few days.... just 2 teaspoons per feeding. It should help with the loose stools. Don't change his kibble for a few days unless he begins vomiting as well as the diarrhea.
Try to avoid gluten, dogs cannot metabolize gluten...wheat, wheat products, oats, barley, etc. You can google "gluten" for a list. Many dogs will have problems with skin, coat, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. if they have allergies to gluten as well.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote


  #22  
Old 04-25-2011, 01:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan USA
Images: 14
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

I believe 4health is made by Diamond for TSC as their store brand. I looked into it when we first got Bella. The contact number on the bags of food of both 4Health and Diamond are the same. We ended up going with TOTW (also a Diamond food) from 5 months to 13 months and were very happy with it. We only switched to Blue Wilderness (Blue's premium brand) at 13 months because Bella's appetite diminished for a week and we thought she might be inclined to eat more if it was a new food. Her appetite was about the same as on the TOTW so the change in food didn't really matter, after about one more week her appetite returned to normal. We ended up staying with the Blue Wilderness because we noticed she had less gas than on the TOTW.

Personally if my choice was between regular Blue Buffalo or 4Health, I would prefer Blue.

Last edited by urfguy; 04-25-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #23  
Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisiana
Images: 11
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

Thanks everyone,

Yesterday was one week that Titus has been on 4Health. His stool is very very loose and smells terribly bad....his breath has even started to smell odd (bad) as well.

I'm not sure, at this point, what to do??

I'm not sure when I should try Blue Buffalo? I don't want to switch his dog food too often.
Reply With Quote


  #24  
Old 04-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Houston/Galveston, TX
Images: 8
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

If its not getting any better, my personal opinion would be to start changing before your 4heaklh runs out. If any thing changes for the worse cut back on the new food. Again, I'm super lucky because food changes don't bother my curent babies and I can switch cold turkey, but if his food is already not agreeing with him, I would start the switch gradually progressively adding more of the new food. Good luck!
Reply With Quote


  #25  
Old 04-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Images: 3
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

I highly recommend ORIGEN, ACANA grain-free, CANIDAE ALS grain-free, or CANIDAE single-grain. I personally like to limit the grain in food since its not a natural part of their diet.
Reply With Quote


  #26  
Old 04-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisiana
Images: 11
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

Which one should I choose between Blue Buffalo and Canidae Chicken Meal and Rice?
Reply With Quote


  #27  
Old 04-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Washington, NC
Images: 5
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

I am currently feeding Solid Gold Wolfking and Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul...actually my puppy is getting Chicken Soup, Lrg Breed Puppy. I tried 4 Health and had no problems with it. I wrote to all 3 companies asking specifically if they used any 4D meats in their products. 4Health didn't write back; the other 2 did so I quit using 4Health. I think they're tolerating both well...they're all gassy though-my old boxer in particular. I do add some other "tasty" items occasionally for a change: string beans, carrots, tuna in oil, salmon, eggs, yogurt & when I'm brave I throw in a little raw hamburger :)
Reply With Quote


  #28  
Old 04-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisiana
Images: 11
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

As I was studying the feeding directions for Canidae ALS Chicken Meal and Rice and Blue Buffalo for puppies, I noticed that Blue Buffalo requires so much LESS food than Canidae. It is half the amount needed for the same weight range.

Why?
Reply With Quote


  #29  
Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Newburyport, MA/USA
Images: 3
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

I feed Orijen as well, neither of my dogs are gassy and almost never have anything but firm stools however they did have these issues on previous foods...canidae, totw, EVO, etc. You really need to see what is best for each dog. I've met really beautiful, healthy looking dogs who were being fed store brand Purina or Iams. I do think we "are what we eat" so I feed the best quality food that works for us. ACANA is made by the same company which makes Orijen and is a little less expensive.
If you can go grain-free for your dog...I'd recommend doing so as it is closest you can get to a natural diet other than going raw. Find which one works and stick with it.
If the prices are too high at the stores you can search for an online store. I buy online, I have 2-30lb bags of Orijen, 1-15lb bag of grain-free cat food and 10lbs of organic rabbit food delivered to my front porch monthly. I'm on an auto-ship plan so I save 15% per month which makes up for the shipping costs and/or what it would cost me to drive to the store to pick it up. The prices per bag are lower and the convenience is worth it for me.
Lastly, if your pup has had diarrhea for more than 2-3 days I'd recommend seeing the Vet. He or she should put him on Flagyl or Metrodiazal (sorry for the spelling) to control the diarrhea before Roc becomes dehydrated and organs begin to shut down.
Reply With Quote


  #30  
Old 04-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisiana
Images: 11
Re: 4Health Dog Food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmom View Post
I feed Orijen as well, neither of my dogs are gassy and almost never have anything but firm stools however they did have these issues on previous foods...canidae, totw, EVO, etc. You really need to see what is best for each dog. I've met really beautiful, healthy looking dogs who were being fed store brand Purina or Iams. I do think we "are what we eat" so I feed the best quality food that works for us. ACANA is made by the same company which makes Orijen and is a little less expensive.
If you can go grain-free for your dog...I'd recommend doing so as it is closest you can get to a natural diet other than going raw. Find which one works and stick with it.
If the prices are too high at the stores you can search for an online store. I buy online, I have 2-30lb bags of Orijen, 1-15lb bag of grain-free cat food and 10lbs of organic rabbit food delivered to my front porch monthly. I'm on an auto-ship plan so I save 15% per month which makes up for the shipping costs and/or what it would cost me to drive to the store to pick it up. The prices per bag are lower and the convenience is worth it for me.
Lastly, if your pup has had diarrhea for more than 2-3 days I'd recommend seeing the Vet. He or she should put him on Flagyl or Metrodiazal (sorry for the spelling) to control the diarrhea before Roc becomes dehydrated and organs begin to shut down.
Is it the "grain free" that actually hardens the stool? If so, Canidae has a grain free dog food?
Reply With Quote


Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4health onejon Nutrition and Grooming 7 11-04-2010 12:34 AM
Older dog not eating food until puppy has finished her food. Xena Rio's Mum Puppy Development 0 09-22-2008 10:19 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

The thoughts expressed in the interviews and/or commentary contained within these forums are solely those of the individual(s) providing them and do not represent and/or reflect the opinions of Rottweiler Dot Net, it's parent site or it's affiliates.

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 Rottweiler Discussion Forums-All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced without permission.