Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 07:00 PM

10 Week old puppy, how much Kibble should I be feeding ?

How many feedings per day?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:46 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: 10 Week old puppy, how much Kibble should I be feeding ?

Puppy at that age should be eating 3 times per day. Usually 3 times per day till about 5 months or so, then they stop showing interest in the noon meal. After that twice a day is good.

As far as how much should a puppy eat? Depends on what you are feeding? If you are feeding a good quality, high calorie food..usually around 3/4 cup three times per day is enough. It depends? some puppies need a bit more some need a bit less. Some are going through a growth spurt and start looking ribby and need an extra 1/2 cup per day.

As they get heavier and older...you can go up to 3 cups per day in total. I've never needed to feed more then that to any of my Rottweilers...most are very easy keepers...that put and keep weight on easily.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 04-05-2011, 09:02 PM

Re: 10 Week old puppy, how much Kibble should I be feeding ?

Ok Thats about what I am feeding him now, I am feeding him Blue Seal Puppy Food. All He ever wants to do is eat it seems.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:23 AM

Brunie's mom, I remember reading that youre a half and half breeder (raw and kibble). can you take a look at this post I threw up week or so ago? I havent seen a response yet and figured you would know the answer. thanks.

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/nat...new-puppy.html

Old 04-06-2011, 03:32 PM
One of the Old Folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce'spop View Post
Brunie's mom, I remember reading that youre a half and half breeder (raw and kibble). can you take a look at this post I threw up week or so ago? I havent seen a response yet and figured you would know the answer. thanks.

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/nat...new-puppy.html
I remember reading that post...just didn't quite know how to answer it.
I've always fed not exact amount, and watch to see what the puppy looks like. If puppy is ribby, feed more, if puppy starts looking like a dumpling feed less.
How's that for a scientific answer???

I usually fed at a young age when puppy still need 3 meals per day...kibble for breakfast and lunch...with maybe a scrambled egg on top, or yogurt, then for the evening meal I fed raw. A couple of chicken necks, or larger chicken back (depending on size). I then would start changing the meat around...try some beef, added with a bit of tripe, or a bit of raw beef heart. Not too many changes at once. I was lucky enough to find a meat processor that sold 40 lb blocks of beef that was all mixed with organ meat, tripe, heart and beef...and cut into 2 lb blocks. By the time Jemma was 6 months old she was down to two feedings per day. She got about a cup of kibble in the a.m., and then either chicken necks or backs, and some days the beef blocks....usually about a pound for a meal.

Again...if she was looking chunky...I cut back, or if she had a very busy day with lots of walks,etc. I would feed her a bit more.
I just eyeballed the amount of raw that I fed her.

Gina

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 04-06-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE G View Post

How many feedings per day?
Congrats on the new puppy!

Here are the first new ingredients of this Blue Seal Puppy food you are feeding.

"Chicken Meal, Ground Corn, Ground Barley, Rice Bran, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Ground Oats....."

Assuming you are sticking with kibble, I would suggest searching the forum for some better food choices. Innova, Canidae, Wellness, Orijen, just to name a few :)

Old 04-06-2011, 03:59 PM
One of the Old Folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by X ROTTS X View Post
Congrats on the new puppy!

Here are the first new ingredients of this Blue Seal Puppy food you are feeding.

"Chicken Meal, Ground Corn, Ground Barley, Rice Bran, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Ground Oats....."

Assuming you are sticking with kibble, I would suggest searching the forum for some better food choices. Innova, Canidae, Wellness, Orijen, just to name a few :)
YUCK!!! For some reason I thought the OP meant Blue Buffalo. I would not feed this food to a puppy, or any dog.

Gina

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 04-06-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunie's mom View Post
YUCK!!! For some reason I thought the OP meant Blue Buffalo. I would not feed this food to a puppy, or any dog.

Gina
Gina, I thought the same thing when I first read the post

Old 04-06-2011, 07:06 PM

I researched all over the net and it seemed like Blue seal was a good food. So you guys are saying it isnt good. I even asked on the boards and I didnt get bad replys.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:11 PM
One of the Old Folks

Quote:
I researched all over the net and it seemed like Blue seal was a good food. So you guys are saying it isnt good. I even asked on the boards and I didnt get bad replys.
There is very little meat in this food...it consists mainly of grains.
Not sure who told you it was a good food...but maybe they also thought you were talking about Blue Buffalo??

I would get your pup on a meat based food. Orijen, Acana, Taste of The Wild, Canidae, Innova,Blue Buffalo,etc.

Gina

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 04-06-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunie's mom View Post
I remember reading that post...just didn't quite know how to answer it.
I've always fed not exact amount, and watch to see what the puppy looks like. If puppy is ribby, feed more, if puppy starts looking like a dumpling feed less.
How's that for a scientific answer???

I usually fed at a young age when puppy still need 3 meals per day...kibble for breakfast and lunch...with maybe a scrambled egg on top, or yogurt, then for the evening meal I fed raw. A couple of chicken necks, or larger chicken back (depending on size). I then would start changing the meat around...try some beef, added with a bit of tripe, or a bit of raw beef heart. Not too many changes at once. I was lucky enough to find a meat processor that sold 40 lb blocks of beef that was all mixed with organ meat, tripe, heart and beef...and cut into 2 lb blocks. By the time Jemma was 6 months old she was down to two feedings per day. She got about a cup of kibble in the a.m., and then either chicken necks or backs, and some days the beef blocks....usually about a pound for a meal.

Again...if she was looking chunky...I cut back, or if she had a very busy day with lots of walks,etc. I would feed her a bit more.
I just eyeballed the amount of raw that I fed her.

Gina
That actually helps a lot. it gives me an idea of how to start and then play it by how the pup is taking to it. Thank you.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Taste of The Wild or Canidae would you recommend me to try? They are both sold local, What flavor? Puppy food or Regular? thanks

Old 04-12-2011, 08:40 PM
One of the Old Folks

Quote:
Taste of The Wild or Canidae would you recommend me to try? They are both sold local, What flavor? Puppy food or Regular? thanks
Which Canidae are you thinking of trying? The All-Life-Stages Canidae is good, and it's fine for a puppy to an older dog. Canidae also makes a Grainless Canidae, again fine for puppies and adult dogs.
Taste of The Wild is a grainless food...the only thing I'm not sure of is if all of the varieties are good for puppies?? It's also lower in calories then any of the Canidae products, and more must be fed of it.

Try a bag of one, then another...it does not hurt to rotate foods...you don't have to keep your pup on the same food.

Whatever food you chose, it will be a better quality food, then what you have been feeding now.

Gina

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 PM

I am unsure what type they carry at the local sore I just know that they have those brands there. I ll Have to check to see what they have. When you say feed more would it be like a cup a day more when he is an adult?

Old 05-12-2011, 01:52 PM

Blue seal makes equine feed. I didn't even know they make dog or puppy food. I have an 11 week old puppy. The breeder was feeding eukanuba. We got him at 7 1/2 weeks.(too young in my opinion). This week we transitioned him to raw. On eukanuba he was getting 1 cup breakfast, lunch and1 1/2 cups dinner. With the raw I am trying to figure out lb. To cup conversion. He has growth spirts but I don't want to over feed and hurt his growing joints. Should I also only give one type of meat per meal or can I mix it up? So many questions but I think this forum is great!