Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 05:02 AM

Gassy dog!

Our new rescued rottie Brad is 22mnts old and is the smelliest creature imaginable. How so much gas could come from one dog is unbelievable. I fear for the ozone layer! We've tried the recommended foods (James Wellbeloved) from the pet food supplier and as per his advice we've also tried adding charcoal to his food and no change. James Wellbeloved do a food which I'd have to order in especially that is completely grain free. Lamb & Vegetable Cereal Free Kibble
It's a good bit more expensive and I'm wondering if others have had good experience with it or with other foods in preventing this problem?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:07 PM

Re: Gassy dog!

Before you spend a lot more money for grain-free (cereal-free), what formulas have you tried with the grain in them? There are 4 formulas...did you try all 4? I noticed that there are no probiotics in the food. Not sure what the charcoal was supposed to accomplish, but I would try adding a probiotic.

The cereal-free does not have probiotics in it either, and you may (or may not) find your boy will have issues with the peas in it. Not to scare you away from it...just wanted you to be aware. I personally think that grain-free is the way to go as far as kibble is concerned.

That being said, James Wellbeloved may not agree with your boy at all, and you'll have to search for some other brand. Fun, isn't it?

BTW, welcome and thank you for rescuing!

Old 10-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Valued Member

Oh yes GAS! My boxer could run a fleet of trucks if it could be recovered. Charcoal definitely works but if you have any medicine/vitamins, they could be prevented from working correctly. We give Charcoal to patients who have tried to overdose on medicine. It prevents absorption of the drug into their system. Thick black gooey charcoal, about 8 oz. worth to drink! (Believe it or not, there's no taste). If there are any other gas remedies, I would love to hear them. Personally, I think my boy is just an above ground refinery.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosemom View Post
We give Charcoal to patients who have tried to overdose on medicine. It prevents absorption of the drug into their system.
Right, but as far as it helping gas...? You're not trying to block absorption, you're needing to aid digestion.
Quote:
If there are any other gas remedies, I would love to hear them.
I think Beano and/or GasX has been discussed on here...don't remember if they are ok for dogs or if they work.
Quote:
Personally, I think my boy is just an above ground refinery.
LOL -- that's hilarious!!

Old 10-07-2010, 02:26 PM

When my dogs are gassy, which is rare, being the ladies that they are
I give them a tablespoon of yogurt with the live yeast cultures in it.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Valued Member

Yep charcoal for gas too. I have some in capsule form for "hubby" you know? I give yogurt every morning on their breakfast. I'm pretty sure you can use simethicone for dogs too but never thought to try it.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:00 PM

I haven't seen the Beano or Gas X products before. Perhaps they are American? I'm in Ireland. I've tried three different formulaes, each for one month at a time. I'll try the yogurt suggestion. If that doesn't work I'll see the vet and ask about the anti gas products. I had to see the vet a couple of days after getting Brad as he had such bad stomach cramps he couldn't walk. He improved that time after an antibiotic but this gas problem continues. He seems to have a very delicate stomach as he throws up whenever he's in the car. Btw has anyone ever given car sickness tablets to a dog?

Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imokyrok View Post
I haven't seen the Beano or Gas X products before. Perhaps they are American? I'm in Ireland. I've tried three different formulaes, each for one month at a time. I'll try the yogurt suggestion. If that doesn't work I'll see the vet and ask about the anti gas products. I had to see the vet a couple of days after getting Brad as he had such bad stomach cramps he couldn't walk. He improved that time after an antibiotic but this gas problem continues. He seems to have a very delicate stomach as he throws up whenever he's in the car. Btw has anyone ever given car sickness tablets to a dog?
Some things that neutralize the stomach can interfere with calcium absorption.
(Calcium need acid to be absorbed.) Surely there must be probiotics in Ireland?

It takes awhile too for smell of the previous diet to go away.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Valued Member

Since switching to the raw prey model, canine gas is a rare occurance in our house.

This makes it questionable to blame gas on the dogs in our house...

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Valued Member

I'm in New Zealand so Gas X isn't available here. But as far as I know it's just a brand name. Look for 'simethicone' in the baby care area of your supermarket. It's probably called something less clinical, but it'll be listed on the back of the bottle, it's to make babies burp. Gripe water is a similar product.
Alison

Old 10-08-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajemons View Post
I'm in New Zealand so Gas X isn't available here. But as far as I know it's just a brand name. Look for 'simethicone' in the baby care area of your supermarket. It's probably called something less clinical, but it'll be listed on the back of the bottle, it's to make babies burp. Gripe water is a similar product.
Alison
Now gripe water I'm familiar with if only as a thankfully dim and distant memory. I'd imagine he'd need far more than the teaspoonful recommended for babies though?

xena - I should be able to get probiotic tablets in the health food shop. I'll try the yogurt first since I make it anyway.