Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 12:13 PM

Question Is galvanized steel okay to use as a water dish?

I'm on the search for a big drinking water tub. I'd like to get a big stainless steel tub but haven't found anything yet. I did find a 9 gallon galvanized steel tub that fits the bill, but I'm not sure if it will be safe for drinking. Does anyone know if it will make my dog sick? Thanks!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Valued Member

Re: Is galvanized steel okay to use as a water dish?

Why do you need something that big? Stainless steel is usually a better choice, they do make very big drinking bowls in stainless steel, but since you should be changing the water regularly 9 gallons seems pretty excessive.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM

I use small stainless steel and galvanized steel buckets in my dog's crates. While the stainless steel cleans up nicer and just looks better, the galvinized steel is fine and you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:07 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Is galvanized steel okay to use as a water dish?

I was just at our local farm feed store the other day, and saw galvanized steel horse waterers...I would think they would be fine to use for your dogs water also.

I'm also wondering why you need something so big for your dog?? You can buy a kiddie pool and fill it halfway everyday. This way the dog can also cool off in it, and you can still spill it everyday and fill with fresh water.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 04-01-2010, 02:09 PM

I use a stainless steel bucket in my kennels with my dogs. The bigger bucket, but I change the water daily. Each dog has their own bucket. I buy my buckets at from an "amish" harness shop. They use them for the horses. Works very well for me.
I think a 9 gallon bucket is too extreme, especially when you should change the water daily or at the very least, every other day.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:51 PM

I use a 3 gallon galvanized steel bucket in the kennel. I got it at my local feed store.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the replies :)
I like the kiddie pool idea for the summer, Brunie's mom, thanks!
Right now I've got a one gallon-ish plastic tub that I change twice or three times a day. It always seems low and gunky with drool. I've filled the 9 gal. tub a little less than halfway full so that I can carry it in. I think this might do the trick so I need only to change his water once daily.