Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 11:51 PM

How often should I brush their teeth?

Started Malley on raw honey to see if it will help her terrible allergies. Should I brush her teeth after every meal? I also read that gauze and peroxide is good or gauze and baking soda.

Any feedback as to the best method and how often I should brush?

Thanks!

Elvis Akita rescue 1998-2008

Cira von der Korperkraft TDI, CGC, TT "Cira"

Streitwein's Der MunchenDame TDI, CGC, TT "Malley"

Toby- Sheltie RE, TDI, CGC, TT

Old 11-11-2009, 06:33 AM

Re: How often should I brush their teeth?

I never brush teeth. My dogs get a fresh raw bone 2-3X per week to clean the toothies. They enjoy bones a lot more than gauze soaked with hydrogen peroxide!

Old 11-11-2009, 07:52 AM

I am worried that the honey will sit on her teeth - kindof like hard candy on a child's - and cause cavities. ( Do they get cavities?)

I will look for some raw bones - we have a good butcher in town. Thanks

Elvis Akita rescue 1998-2008

Cira von der Korperkraft TDI, CGC, TT "Cira"

Streitwein's Der MunchenDame TDI, CGC, TT "Malley"

Toby- Sheltie RE, TDI, CGC, TT

Old 11-11-2009, 11:34 AM

I brush Thunder's teeth once a week. I also give him big bones I buy dog toothpaste and he loves the taste. I love to see a dog with pearly whites. and fresh breath. and to answer your question yes they can get cavities. The enamel is the same as our teeth. Honey gets between their teeth and is hard to clean.

shimmer

Old 11-11-2009, 07:24 PM

It takes roughly 72 hours for plaque to start turning into tartar. I like Virbac Vanilla Mint paste and a finger brush. Every 3 days is sufficient.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Valued Member

I never brushed my dogs' teeth. When I fed kibble, the dogs had frozen raw beef marrow bones a couple of times/week. Now that I feed the raw prey model, I feel there's even less need to brush their teeth.

If you want lovely teeth--and lovely breath--feed the raw prey model.

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 11-11-2009, 11:02 PM

brookwood, I am in nw ga also. Like the other person said, juast a couple of raw bones a week keeps their teeth pretty clean

Old 11-12-2009, 06:10 AM

I've never brushed my dogs teeth and they all have clean white teeth. Even my girl who was nearly 8yo had beautiful teeth without ever needing a dental.

My small breed dogs (Cavaliers) are notorious for having teeth problems but my 5 1/2 yo and my 4 1/2yo have just had a check up and their teeth are in excellent shape.

All dogs here have a raw meaty bone almost every day. It keeps their teeth clean without me needing to brush.

The only dog here who has ever needed a dental is a 13yo rescue girl. Her teeth are appalling. They were very worn down and she needed a couple extracted. What's left of her teeth now are not exactly in good shape but they're clean.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:35 AM

I've never brushed any of my dog's teeth either. My rott has beautiful pearly whites at 6 yrs old thanks to the raw meaty bones she gets for an hour every day. They are frozen initially.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:11 PM

I brush almost daily using a chicken flavored tooth paste and either a finger brush or the puppy tooth brush we received from his vet. His teeth probably do not need to be brushed so often, but it is teaching him to let me open his mouth and examine his teeth. He is now quite comfortable with my hand reaching in... and he lets me softly wiggle his loose baby teeth.

Side not: Any chance I will be able to get one of his baby teeth to keep? I am not fond of sifting through his poop if he swallows them. >_<

Old 11-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoJ
...Any chance I will be able to get one of his baby teeth to keep?...
I have a tooth from one of my puppies. Tallinn was chewing on a rope toy and when she left it, there was one of her puppy teeth stuck in the fiber.

I think if you carefully watch during teeth time, you may be able to snare some.

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 11-12-2009, 05:38 PM

I brush my dog's teeth once a week with a doggy toothbrush. Tried with the finger ones, but she kept chewing on my finger while I was brushing, and that kinda hurt. I give raw marrow bones for cleaning, but it makes it easy to do a checkup on her teeth for myself, my vet, and when the evaluator who tested us for the CGN was checking the grooming portion of the test, she checked my dog's teeth, if they are brushed and touched.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:07 AM

what kind of bones are you all giving? as in what should i specifically ask the butcher for? and do they end up eating the bones or do you all just let them chew it for a while and then throw it out?

right now, i am currently brushing my 2yr old's teeth about once a week with doggy toothpaste and the finger cover thing. He doesn't mind it at all....because the toothpaste is peanut butter flavoured.

But I am very interested to know in details about the raw bones. any chance of them choking? does it have to be a certain size as a minimum requirement? pls advise. thanks.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:22 AM

I feed Teazle raw beef knuckle or marrow bones. I freeze them on the day I get them so when she is given a fresh one it is frozen, which is fine.

With the knuckle bones I take them off her when they are starting to get really chewed up and lots of bits coming off, but she also gets bored by this time as all the meaty bits are off. She has one for about an hour a day and they last about 3-4 days at the most before I throw it away. (I don't refreeze each day, just out it back in the fridge covered up).

The marrow bones don't last as long and it depends how long they are. Once the marrow is all out I throw it away as she doesn't gnaw at it any longer.

I think a dog could choke on anything but feeding a raw bone is a lot less risky than a cooked one, which I wouldn't feed anyway.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM

Where do you guys get the RAW bones? Excuse my ignorance. Is it an actual RAW bone that you buy at a grocery store? just a little confused.