Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 11:03 AM

Good Dog Foods in South Africa

Hi There, have been reading around the site a bit, but would like some pro advice regarding the "premium" dog foods that we have here in South Africa. Butch is currently on Eukanuba - which is rated "Top 5" in SA - but clearly not that grand in comparison. What we do have are: Euk, Royal Canin, Ultra Dog, Vet's Choice, Hills, Purina One, to name some of the the best avail. Not sure which of these are local / international. Also, what would be the best things to look for / avoid regarding ingredients. Appreciate the responses - but i can only respond tomorrow - internet usage very limited. Thanks again.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:34 PM

Re: Good Dog Foods in South Africa

Of all of those listed I think Royal Canin would be the best bet. Chicken meal is first ingredient.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 PM

Post Re: Good Dog Foods in South Africa

Not really great choices. I do know that Eagle Pack Holistic is available world wide...you may want to go to their website and see what countries it is available in.

Eukanuba is a mid-quality food....you could just enhance the diet by adding some fresh meats, as well as yogurt, sardines, and fruits and veggies. Keep it to about a third of the diet..and it will be fine.

Things to avoid in a dog food are: corn, wheat, soya, poultry by-product meal, as well as meat meals (when there is no specific meat mentioned).

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN
Duncan (Rescue)~A work in progress
At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 07-27-2009, 03:33 PM

Eagle Pack is a good food. When I get a young pup or a dog that is what I feed them. I also feed Canidae. I go with that when they hit maturity.

You can go to the Eagle Pack website.

You can search on that site for a store that you can buy from. Maybe they have one local to you.

Last edited by Patinka; 07-28-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:46 PM

Hi Buick, nice to have a fellow South African on the forum!

As far a I know, we don't have Eagle Pack available here. No Canidae either. Almost all the food available in the country have grains in them, and it seems a lot of rotties are sensitive to grains. Maize and sorghum are usually the culprits, rice is a better option. In my opinion (after lots of research and from reading the labels) Royal Canin Rottweiler and Ultra Dog (specifically the one with ostrich and rice) are our best choices. RC contains more actual meat and less grain than Eukanuba. Some vets stock a German food called Mera Dog, but I've no idea whether it's ok or not. Perhaps some other members have experience with this food?

We started Luna (now 11 months old) on Eukanuba, but she seemed sensitive to it and had a chronic runny tummy for two months. She was the runt of her litter and we were really worried that she wasn't absorbing the nutrients she needed for proper development. We eventually switched her over to Raw (BARF diet) when she was 4 months old, and she's been doing great, tummy's recovered and her condition's better than most other rotties at our club. We feed a mixture of dirty tripe, chicken, beef heart, fish and cooked pulped pumkin and rice.

We just got our second Rottie, Mars, three days ago. His breeder feeds Royal Canin Rottweiler Junior to their pups, and Raw to the older dogs. Mars seems to be doing great on the RC, but we're substituting about 1/4 of his food with Raw (minced tripe, chicken, beef heart and fish) and will switch him over to 100% raw eventually.

If you're interested in Raw feeding, have a look in the Nutrition and Grooming section of the forum, under Natural Diets - Raw and Cooked. In my opinion it's the best way to go, even though it takes a bit of research at first. It does not require too much effort, and in terms of cost works out a little less expensive than feeding 100% Royal Canin Rottweiler or even Eukanuba.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! I'd love to hear another South African's opinion and experiences regarding feeding.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:35 AM

Thanks so much people. Realy appreciate the responses. I will be looking into the Raw diets as explained Lunabelle. Will also check out the Eagle Pack website - hopefully some importers in and around SA. Thanks also to Kash, Brunie's Mom, and Rytek1 - really valuable feedback.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 PM

Since you mentioned Royal Canin, do you have access to Sensible Choice? It's made by Royal Canin and is a very good food if you can find it. I'm not sure if they're even making it anymore.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Novice Member

Lunabelle,
Where do you get BARF in Johannesburg? I have friends with Dobermans and am trying to help them find a good raw diet resource there.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:57 AM

Hi cdegabrielle,

We shop around quite a bit, as I prepare the BARF myself. I usually buy ox liver as well as whole chicken with giblets from Woolworths (believe it or not, when they have a sale it is the cheapest chicken around). I prefer Woollies for this, since they screen their suppliers very well, and the liver is organic.

I also buy beef heart, green tripe, chicken necks and mackerel. Siabutt's in Edenvale, Johannesburg (you can look it up on google) sell pre-packeged minced green tripe of reasonable quality. The beef heart is available at some butchers in bulk, we buy 10kg batches from Beefeater Butchery (also in Edenvale). The mackerel and chicken necks we buy frozen from any supermarket, they are easy to find.

I have seen pre-prepared BARF food at some pet shops and vets, Fourway's Vet (in northern Johannesburg) has a supply. I have not tried it, since I can feed my dogs much cheaper by buying in bulk and mixing everything, but for a first-time BARF feeder this may be the way to go. I don't remember the name of the supplier, but you can ask your friends to look up Fourway's Vet on the internet and give them a call. They would be able to give them more info.

Good luck!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Novice Member

Thank you so much. I will forward your message to my friends in JoBurg. Their dogs will be happy!