Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Valued Member

Question Grain Free Dog Food......

Our dog is drinking excessively (see post in Veterinary Forum). He is a senior dog, 9 years and 9 months to be exact. We have switched Sensi to Orijen from Innova because of it being grain free.

I just got off the phone with my stepdaughter who is a veterinarian. I read the report that was sent home with Sensi from our vet here in town. I had her explain things that I didn't understand and so forth. What came out of her mouth clear out of the blue set me back. She asked if we were feeding grain free. I said, "why yes". She said she has been seeing a pattern with SENIOR dogs and cats that are being feed grain free. TOO MUCH PROTEIN for these senior dogs/cats and it is making their kidneys over work which they are not use to. It is effecting the kidneys. She has had to deal with more renal/kidney failure in older animals then the norm. ALL of them have been on grain free!!! This has been her own observation and I have no clue if other vets have had the same experiences. As was said in few of the posts to my thread in the vets forum, people have heard of dogs drinking a lot more water when on Orijen. I wonder if those dogs were seniors also or if there is something in the food that makes them thirsty? Or one works hand in hand....over working kidneys/drinking water?

She is NOT saying that grain free is bad food. What she is saying is that she would not recommend grain free for senior animals due to the high protein content. Orijen is 42% protein. Sensi was not use to that high of protein, so I am probably not helping his condition.....whatever that is. Can't wait for all the blood work and the urine cultures to come back.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Old 02-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Ancient Valued Member

Re: Grain Free Dog Food......

I don't think Grain free kibbles are to blame. I have had good luck with Evo and old dogs. My 12 year old Shiba eats Evo exclusively and had bloodwork recently. It was THE most perfect 12 year old dog bloodwork my vet had ever seen

That said i DO add a LOT of water to the kibble when I feed it because it is a concentrated food. (I add enough water to make it simulate a raw diet)It looks like Cheerios floating in milk. about 1/4-1/2 cup water to a cup of food I'd guess?...

My friend had 5 geriatric dogs and feeds them 100% raw only, no grains and her dogs are doing great also, though she does have 1 with bad kidneys from damage due to illness when younger. His bloodwork is actually MUCH worse when he eats normal kibble

However every dog is different
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 02-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Valued Member

JoJo- I find that interesting. I would agree that a high protein food would be the way to go........However, sometimes actually more often than not, some of these old dogs that are living far longer than the norm are being fed purina or kibbles and bits. Both high in corn, grain, fillers ect.

A prime example of this is my sil's GSD mix. Toby is almost 17 and has always been fed grocery store food. Since I've known her which is 6 years he's been on Beneful(sp). No heart, liver, lung problems at all. Just the obvious old age creeping up. He also gets whatever junk food her two boys have in their hands.

While I am not discounting good premium food in any way it does seem that many of these old dogs have had horrible diets their whole lives.

I am sorry to hear about what is going on with you dear Sensi(love the name btw) and hope everything works out. My thoughts are with you.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:26 PM

I had Missy on the Innova (Evo) reduced fat for the last six or eight months. She did quite well on it... she always liked to drink water, regardless of the food she was on... I didn't see a change when she went to that food, and it really helped with her weight.

Forever my special angels.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Valued Member

I agree with you all. The only thing that I didn't mention which I should have is that Sensi is fighting an infection, what kind we don't know yet. His kidneys have been compromised so adding the high protein is making his kidneys work that much harder. Now also, Sensi is not use to such high protein, so I'm believing that one is leading to the other. I think this is what Kristen was saying. She was not against this food whatsoever. Even our vet was impressed on how Sensi looked. All I'm saying is what she has observed over time and grain free/high protein and senior animals and kidney problems. I found that to be interesting and truthfully a bit set back as she brought it up out of the blue. Coincidence, possibly, but I'm suspect.

Diane, I do add water to his kibble. Maybe I should add much more. We love Orijen food. He loves it. His stools are great also. He only gets 2 cups a day and his weight is perfect for him..108lbs His coat is good, eyes etc. I really don't want to change foods, but until we find out what is going on, I'm going to, but to what I don't know. What's a good kibble with low protein? At least for now.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Ancient Valued Member

As far as kibbles go the California natural lamb has a lower protein BUT since your dog has other issues you might be better off making his food.

There's a good book with recipies specifically for certain health issues (cooked diets) written by Strombeck. VERY scientifically oriented too so your vet should approve.

The book is pricey though so see if you can borrow it to photocopy (for your personal use) the section you need
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13