Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Novice Member

Inexpensive food for my skinny dog.... HELP

My rotti was recently sick and lost a lot of weight. She is better now but VERY skinny and I need to get weight on her. Due to very high vet bills and minimal income I am struggling to afford the vet food. Can anyone help with inexpensive recipes or food to help me get her healthy again?

Old 12-29-2008, 05:16 PM

Re: Inexpensive food for my skinny dog.... HELP

What kind of food are you feeding her? Also what was she sick from?
I do not know of any cheap food that is good for her. You can go to dogfoodanalysis.com and go to reviews and search the food that is in your budget.
I hope your girl is doing well now.
Brandi

Old 12-29-2008, 05:31 PM

What is your budget for dog food?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:56 PM

Food isnt something you want to skimp on. How much can you spend?

Old 12-29-2008, 09:25 PM

There is another thread going at this time discussing the cost of raw feeding. If you have some time to establish raw sources, this might be your answer.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 PM

Is there anything your dog needs to stay away from? A good, inexpensive food here in the US is Healthwise. I can currently buy a 40 lb bag of Chicken & Oatmeal at my local feed store for $32.95.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokisteph5 View Post
Is there anything your dog needs to stay away from? A good, inexpensive food here in the US is Healthwise. I can currently buy a 40 lb bag of Chicken & Oatmeal at my local feed store for $32.95.
Yeah, I think Healthwise would be the best food for the $$ .

Old 12-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Novice Member

Thanks everyone,
I don't think it really is about the budget, well it is and isn't. I am feeding her Royal Canin at the moment and it is $40 for a 2 kilo bag, which doesn't last long at all. I would prefer to supplement it with a nice healthy (and hearty) puppy stew or something so that she isn't always eating the dry food. She had puppy gastro. I have spent thousands on vet bills over the years (she is a bit clumsy) but never thought it would be gastro! She can eat most foods, haven't had any issues re what she eats (except any spices which she wasn't supposed to eat but thought it looked pretty and gave it a crack). I am in Australia and we don't have the mentioned food here. I love giving her a warm meal which is why I thought about recipes..

Old 12-30-2008, 03:47 AM
Novice Member

I'm in Aus too, and one of the best foods I can find here would be Eagle Pack Holistic. This is what I have Bella on, and she is thriving! Growing nice and steadily by the day, and I get comments all the time about how healthy and lively she is, and how shiny her coat is. I am sold on it. The food seems expensive at first glance, but a little goes a long way. I get mine from petstock. It costs around 100 dollars for a 7.5 kilo bag, but that will last her (she's 4 months old) around 3 to 4 weeks.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:09 AM

Baileythedogsmum. I am also in Melbourne and I feed 90% raw to my dogs but they do have an occasional meal of dry food. I switched from Eagle Pack to Artemis Maximal because it's a grain free food. There is free delivery to the SE suburbs from Katzk9kitchen. Have a look at their website and you will find all the prices and a good variety of foods.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokisteph5 View Post
I agree, I have used Healthwise in the past for many of my dogs and had no problems with it. They loved it and for the money you can't beat it : )

Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 PM

Maybe looking for a high quality food-- that has a high calorie content will work for you. With a higher calorie content, you wouldn't have to feed her as much, being the calories are higher....Not sure if that made sense.

I wish I had raw recipes for you but I don't feed my pup raw food. I can barely feed myself the proper food portions, so I know I will only fatten up my pup with me!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Novice Member

Thank you everyone... food for thought... She has actually put some weight on in the last couple of days! I will look at some different options now. This forum is brilliant. I will be coming back

Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Novice Member

I feed canidae to all 4 of my dogs and they love it. having 4 dogs it is hard to afford a good food with a good price tag. it has panned out best for me, oh ya, by the way i feed the green and tan bag, maybe give them a call for coupons, they have always been very helpful to me in tough times. hope it works out :)