Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 04:13 PM

Laser Nail Trim

Hi, has anyone ever gotten their dog's nails trimmed with a laser? I am seriously considering it because Kane's nails grow like weeds and he absolutely will not let me touch them with a clipper or dremel. He has to be sedated, which is embarrassing, but it is what it is.

Apparently the laser trim allows them to get a 'deeper' trim without the pain and bleeding? I am assuming that means they are cutting the quick. I couldn't find a whole lot of information on it so I'm wondering if anyone has any information they can share.

Thanks!
tiffani

Old 05-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Valued Member

Re: Laser Nail Trim

Have you tried muzzling your dog and tieing him to a fence of post?

Our older girl is about 9 yo (rescue so we're not 100% sure). I do nails once or twice a week, so Tula's had years of me doing her nails. Each session was a struggle with Tula snapping, growling, bug-eyed, and flailing around. Finally a couple of years ago I muzzled her in exasperation.

It's made a significant difference. Tula is much more relaxed. She still struggles and fusses, but the intensity is gone. It's almost as tho she realizes she can't bite me so she doesn't have to struggle against me doing her nails and struggle against her knowledge that biting me will cause bad things to happen to her. By muzzling her, I removed her responsibility for herself, so the war that clearly raged in her to keep her bite inhibition in place in our pre-muzzle days isn't there.

I wish I had muzzled Tula years ago when it was clear that her weak, pet-store pup nerves couldn't stand the stress of nail trimming.

(BTW--I've never had a foster dog who needed muzzling and some of them initially didn't like having their nails done. They all left for their forever homes good about having their nails done. My DH and I have been fostering for 10 years for Rottie rescue. Tula is the only personal dog since I've had the breed (1984) who I've muzzled.)

Old 05-28-2008, 04:54 PM

No I haven't tried muzzling him. I hate that he's so scared and the throwing himself around, pulling his foot and licking at my hands makes me nervous that I'll get his quick. I also hate to think about what would happen if he did lose his mind and bite me. (I know that's what he's thinking when he's licking) It's really just me, when he was a pup some idiot, bootleg vet cut at least 6 of his quicks. And these were just the front feet. I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't snatched him off the table. Ever since then, I was too soft to do it thinking he remembers and that's why he panicks. It took me years to get him used to me just holding his feet.

I don't even own a muzzle, but it's worth a try. Usually I would do it while the dog was laying down, relaxed. That will probably also help that he'll be concentrating on balancing.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Valued Member

I have a soft nylon muzzle I use on Tula. The muzzle is big enough so she can easily eat the treats I feed her often during the session. I speak to her in a "Oh, don't be silly, it's only a nail trim!" type of tone, trying to buck her up.

When the nail trimming is over, I take off her muzzle, finish her go over, and give her a massage for being good.

I had one foster dog who would cry and fuss because he wanted his nail session to begin. He's sit behind the door while I did the girls, scratching the door to get outside. Lido couldn't get enough of being fussed over. I'd open the door when it was his turn and he'd dash out, throwing himself to the ground. I'd pick up a paw and start trimming his nails and he'd fall asleep. He loved having his ears checked and cleaned, his mouth and teeth examined, his eyes checked, being massaged to feel for ticks and boo-boos.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:20 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try the muzzle for sure and see how it goes. It's cheaper than the vet that's for sure and the laser is about $80 from what little I could find.

Lido was a spa dog! lol Kane likes all of those things but game over when you get to the toes. He has a sickness for getting his ears cleaned. As soon as he sees the cotton balls he puts his head on my lap and closes his eyes.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 PM

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I just couldn't let the opportunity go by to say to AngelBunny, you really are an angel! I'm so grateful that there are people like you willing to literally commit your life to the well-being of cast-off dogs who just need another chance. I know I speak for rottie lovers and all the rotties who have come into contact with you, thank you and bless you for your commitment to this breed!