Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Novice Member

Talking Canidae for Large Breed Puppy?

Hi!

I have read through most of the posts here on Dog Food. I have a 7.5 year old Rottie Female. Our 10 year old Rottie male passed away recently and we have a new 8 week old male Rottie coming in a couple of weeks. I have just switched Savannah, our female to Canidae ALS as she has been itching like crazy all of a sudden on the Nutro Natural. My question is can I start the puppy on the same food? Is it ok even though it is not specifically for Large Breed puppies? Is all of the Glucosamine stuff just a bunch of hype, or should he be given supplements?

Thank you!

Chrissy

Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Canidae for Large Breed Puppy?

Feed the puppy the ALS Canidae. If your female needs gluc/chond. then buy some supplement at the health food store and add it to the diet. The small amount that is added to most dog foods is not enough for a dog with joint problems.

There is no need to be feeding most of the Large Breed foods...they are often low on calories and high on grains. Puppy does not need to be on gluc./chond. yet, and should be fine without it...unless he develops joint or hip problems.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 04-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Novice Member

Re: Canidae for Large Breed Puppy?

Thank you Gina.
My female doesn't have any joint problems yet either, so I'll just stick with the ALS for now. I was wondering though, she is still itching. Will it take a little while for that to go away if it was the other dog food causing it? She has been on the Canidae for 3 days and she just loves it. She doesn't have any sores or bald spots or anything. She's just itching like crazy, especially at night.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:32 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Canidae for Large Breed Puppy?

It takes a couple of weeks to notice a difference on the food. Have you looked for fleas? Have you changed anything with your laundry soap or fabric softener?
What about floor cleaners? or deodorizing sprays?

Have you given her a bath? rinsed out the shampoo well?

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Novice Member

She has a lot of new things going on in her life. She was mostly an outside dog before. We have nice kennels with dog houses that we always put wood shavings in. Our 10 year old male passed away recently and she has been so lonely and stricken with grief that we have been bringing her indoors from late afternoon to late morning the following day. We plan on doing this from now on. She doesn't have fleas. Our detergents and everything else are the same. The reason I thought that it was the Nutro is because she has always been on the Nutro Natural and when she was pregnant and nursing puppies, I put her on the Nutro Large breed puppy. It seems that's when she started itching so I have switched her to Canidae ALS.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Novice Member

I just wanted to conclude this with the fact that my female is now doing great on the Canidae ALS. She has completely stopped itching, her coat is healthy and shiny and she looks great. She loves the food too! We even put our 8 week old puppy on it when we brought him home. He loves it and is doing very well on it also.