Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 01:16 AM

Bad Breath!!!!

recently my boy has developed breath that is so bad it makes my teeth tingle when he breaths on me.

here's the run down on his food nutro large breed (reg flavor, he didn't like the lamb and rice). i know this is a low grade premium food, but it is with in my budget and he really likes it. since he was 1 1/2 years old i have given him 1 raw egg with every meal (bowl full of nutro kibble). since i found out the food has some deficiencies (by joining this forum ) i had started feeding him frozen veggies too. (usually pees, carrots, broccoli,& cauliflower)
this has been his usual diet up until the end of Aug when i was severely burned in an accident at work and spent 3 months in hospital. (also away from him) while i was away my roommate took care of him, but didn't give him the eggs or veggies.
i have been home for 1 1/2 months and started giving him the eggs and veggies again as soon as i got back home, recently he had developed RANK breath.
i brush his teeth every month or so and he has lots of rope toys and raw beef bones to chew on and clean his teeth. i brushed his teeth this week end and he has a little bit of tartar build up on 4 of his teeth, otherwise they are nice and clean.

his poops are regular, so i am pretty sure the return to the previous diet isn't causing it.

anyone have any suggestions?

greg

Old 12-05-2007, 09:43 AM

Re: Bad Breath!!!!

If the stinky breath is sudden-I would check with a vet to make sure there are no abcesses or other problems with his mouth. My girl had funky breath before I started feeding raw-now she gets I marrow bone a week and her breath is great-well not great-but she has no oder or tartar.
Also, does he eat stuff outside-every once in a while my guys find kitty poop to munch on-makes their breath STINK for a few days!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:05 AM

Is this the food?

I found that bear was stinky overall (skin, breath, farts, poop) when we had him on food with corn in it.

Another thing I have observed in my cats since we took them off food with so many grains was that their teeth, gums and breath are WAAAAY better. My theory is that the starchiness of corn and wheat especially might sit around in an animals mouth and cause stinky breath.

It's worth a trip to the vet to check out any possible abcesses.

Owned by B.A. BEARacus PCD, CGN, RA, FDCh, CRVCL, CRXT, CRS, ATD, HT, JHDs, ADC, SGDC

Old 12-05-2007, 11:55 AM

Gracie had bad breath also, and I thought I would try giving her a little probiotic yogurt every day (I don't know, I thought maybe the active cultures etc. might help). Well, I've been giving it to her dailiy for about a week now and no more bad breath!

Could be coincedence, but could also be the cure!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 AM

I had Jaycee on Nutro for awhile, but when I read up about Canidae, I looked into the prices. It's actually cheaper around here than the nutro. A 20pd bag of nutro is $25.00 and 40pd bad of Canidae is $32.00....Jaycee's teeth are pearly white, no bad breath and her coat is beautiful. Not sure how much prices very in different places, but it might be something to look into. Also, if the veggies are raw they could be attributing to it. Especially broccoli.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:16 PM

Also, if the veggies are raw they could be attributing to it. Especially broccoli.[/QUOTE]

i had wondered about that, but isn't that basically what the "raw" diet is? raw veggies and meats? he loves his broccoli, he is OK with the colliflower, seems to be OK with the peas, and only eats the carrots if they are cubed. i know that the broccoli gives him gas, but it is almost never smelly (just loud) and there is lots of good stuff in all those veggies. i could steam them, but he seems to get a lot of enjoyment out of the crunchiness of them being frozen (just like he likes to chew on ice)

sadly, though right now $$ is really tight, because of being out of work on disability because of the accident, and as of last week i started back at work only 4 hours a day and no more than 20 a week (DR's orders), sooooo i am trying to avoid going to the vet right now. when i brushed his teeth i looked them over really well aand poked and proded at them and he didn't seem to mind. based on that i am leaning towards something other than tooth decay or gum dammage
greg

Old 12-06-2007, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der affe View Post
Also, if the veggies are raw they could be attributing to it. Especially broccoli.
i had wondered about that, but isn't that basically what the "raw" diet is? raw veggies and meats? he loves his broccoli, he is OK with the colliflower, seems to be OK with the peas, and only eats the carrots if they are cubed. i know that the broccoli gives him gas, but it is almost never smelly (just loud) and there is lots of good stuff in all those veggies. i could steam them, but he seems to get a lot of enjoyment out of the crunchiness of them being frozen (just like he likes to chew on ice)
[/QUOTE]

A raw diet should have the vegetables blended to a pulp in a blender. Dogs digestive systems can't break down the cellulose in whole raw vegies.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:55 PM

ahhh, gotcha! to the blender with his veggies!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 12:06 PM

Thanks Ann, that's what I was about to say! Everything is blended up in the raw diet.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:33 PM

You can also give him a raw, frozen turkey neck once a week...those little bones really work themselves through the teeth...and I bet he'd love it!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der affe
...but isn't that basically what the "raw" diet is? raw veggies and meats?
Not according to some raw feeders who do not believe dogs need anything other than various meats and bones, fish, and organs. They follow the raw prey model.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:03 PM

You could get away without feeding the vegies if you feed a lot of animal organs as they will contain the broken down vegies from the other animals. There is a riusk with this of Hydatis worms and why most people seek to have vegies ans stay away from organs. If you got human quality organs from a butcher etc it would be ok but that will get pretty expensive.

Mick.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBunny View Post
Not according to some raw feeders who do not believe dogs need anything other than various meats and bones, fish, and organs. They follow the raw prey model.
Yes some folk do feed this way. Is isn't the way I choose to feed. My dogs are fed raw meat that includes vegetables pulped in a juicer or blender. However Der Affe mentioned that his dog is already being fed raw vegetables so I presume he wishes to continue along those lines.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:42 PM

in think the raw (unblenderized) veggies were doing it to his breath. i started blending the veggies (it's been 3 days) and his breath is getting better (still bad but now at least my teeth don't tingle when he breaths on me).
he looked at me when i poured veggie mush on his food like "what the hell are you doing??"
i told him to eat it and he dove in and polished it all off. his poops don't seem to smell as bad either. not that they were that bad before i guess you could say less pungent when i have to pick them up as i walk him in the park

i will have to try the turkey neck thing too.

thank you to everyone for the advice
Greg

Old 12-08-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne
Yes some folk do feed this way.
Yes, I know.

I feed the raw prey model.