Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 07:54 PM

How Often Do You Bathe Your Rottie?

Just curious. I give Mel a bath every three weeks. I have heard that is too often? He is an indoor dog.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:01 PM

Re: How Often Do You Bathe Your Rottie?

This has been discussed here many times, if you use the search button in the menu bar above. Every three weeks is really frequent, why do you need to bathe Mel that often? A healthy dog eating a quality diet should not smell.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:21 PM

We bathe Lola as soon as she stinks.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:21 PM

My dog gets a bath once in a blue moon.... Mud gets a squirt with the hose (no soap), as does sand from the beach.

A good grooming/massage with a rubber nubbie along with a good diet is better for healthy skin and coat than a soap bath.

Chili von der Frolikind UDX3 OM3 RE NJP CGC
SilverHeart's StoryBook "Pippi"
BamBoo! of Rascaltown BOH^
^Sweet Angel Luna^ 1995-2004

Old 08-18-2007, 10:39 PM

Over washing your dog destroys the natural oil balance in your dog's skin/coat. You can promote many problems that you may be trying to eliminate(dry skin, lack of shine, shedding). Good diet and regular brushings are all your dog really needs. My girls may get one or two bathes a year and that all depends on the time of year that I'm showing them as I have often gone without. A house dog shouldn't get that filthy. I've mentioned the samething to a Yorky owner that used to wash her pooch on a very regular basis. Her complaint was that her dog's coat only shined when it was freshly washed. Now the dog has an unhealthy looking coat due to the lack of oils!

Does Mel go swimming? If so, at most a good rinse followed by a good brushing should be all he needs. The Florida sun is harsh on the coat, even more reason to make sure that it's protected with natural oils.

Last edited by spoiledgirls; 08-18-2007 at 10:44 PM.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:09 AM

Static is an outside dog - so he tends to get smelly if he spends too much time lying in the garden. We wash him on average, every 5-6 weeks. If he doesn't smell, we wait till he does - and obviously if he starts stinking before that time, he gets a bath. In summer we take him to the beach at least once a week, if not more, so we tend to bath him less - as he gets rinsed off after each trip.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:02 AM

We wash sheena whenever she gets mud all over her (thats w/out soap), and on every 3 months with soap.
It gets really hot in here during summer (97 degrees fahrenheit now, on a cloudy day), we wash her legs and feet with hose if shes out in evenings, to prevent her from getting too hot...
Ares, my am.bullie, stinks. He really does and its not related to being washed too often or his diet. His skin smells, so he gets to be washed every month with an antiseptic solution (not soap)

Old 08-19-2007, 09:00 AM

Thank you all so much..I definately have been bathing him too often. This will make him happy

Old 08-19-2007, 10:16 AM

we give Shelby a bath every few months unless she's been out and is overly dirty. She rolls in mud and stuff so we just rinse her out. She gets shampooed every few months though.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:36 AM

Gypsy doesnt get bathed very often, she really doesnt smell all that bad, the last time she had was about 6 weeks ago and she still smells fine, I just wash her bedding 1-2xs a week and that cuts back as well. Now its different when she is at my FIL and rolls in horse poo

Old 08-19-2007, 01:23 PM

Ranger gets a 'bath' when he goes into the lake to chase minnows. I wash him after he rolls in decaying/stinky rodents my cats delivers to him. So I wash only when he's smelly.