Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 03:34 PM

Muscle Building Supplements

What Opinions may come of this Topic. To use or not to Use. If so, which ones are best suited for our Breed, and if not, which ones to stay away from.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:56 PM

Re: Muscle Building Supplements

I don't feel supplementing to "build" muscle is appropriate. Feed a food with a lot of meat for protein, and excercise a lot - and the dog will build muscle. I would say the key is variety of excercises.

43% of all statistics are worthless!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:35 PM

I agree - and genetics also play a part in the amount of muscle a dog will naturally build and carry. Some lines look more like body builders, others more sleek, still with muscle tone.

Dogs live such a short life as it is, I don't like to toy with their systems any more then is absolutely necessary.

Kristi

Ch. OTCH Jewel CDI RE BH RL2 CGN TT HIC
Ch. Seeker CD RE BH RL1 CGN TT HIC
Ch. Ruckus PCD RN TT HIC
Busy (super baby)
Jager HIC
[/FONT]

Old 03-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Valued Member

Here are a couple of threads for you to read:

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/nut...uscle+building

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/wor...uscle+building

I pretty much agree that I would never use any supplements to help build bulk, especially on a young dog. In terms of other dogs, it would all depend on the training regimine you have him on, what you are using him for (what type of work competition, etc) and what your desire is by wanting to bulk him up.

It's like humans, you CAN use some supplements, but none of them will take the place of good, quality food and a good, quality work schedule.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:06 PM

Thanks very much. I will say that she is an intact Female, and is just over 2yrs. I stared her a yr ago on a Muscle Up supplemnt without steriods in it, and she eats Premium Kibble, from Nutro, she has been in Agility Training for over a yr, still growing I know, my Breeder said by 2 she will be ready for full jump heights and full weave pole 's and that having her shoulders and hips x rayed will help in determining that her growth plates have mended, she IS a lean bitch, in her 3rd heat cycle, and weighed in last week at 71.2. She is from working lines, Parents are lighter in substance but still look real muscluar, I do have a workout schedual for her, and she completes 4 miles a day, at a light jog speed of 3.5. give or take a day off . I just thought that their might be a better supplemnt for her, that would enhance her physical build, because the supplemt she has been on, dosen't seem to be helping her.

Thanks so much, I appreiate your imput

Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 PM

I have to say I do wonder why anyone would even contemplate giving muscle building supplements to their dog. I would not give them to my dogs in a million years. People who takes steroids can exhibit aggressive behaviour and I can only wonder if it might also be the case with dogs.

Let the dog grow as he is meant to grow and don't mess around with what could be a dangerous substance to him.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:52 AM

honestly i would be afraid of all the extra supplements straining the dogs liver and kidneys. not to mention our larger breeds aren't known for super long lives i wouldn't risk a few muscles for shorter life span,
besides muscle growth is mostly genetic i have 2 pups right now both are the same age from different litters.barron has almost from birth been built like a tank very heavily muscled and ripped,remarkably the pup is pretty laid back not a runner or getting alot of exercise lke the usual "spaztaskic" puppy of norm,and ben is lean and narrow chested compared to the other yet slightly taller.they are only 9 months old and one looks like a 2 yr old already in stature.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:52 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Muscle Building Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogspa View Post
Thanks very much. I will say that she is an intact Female, and is just over 2yrs. I stared her a yr ago on a Muscle Up supplemnt without steriods in it, and she eats Premium Kibble, from Nutro, she has been in Agility Traiut
Nutro is not a premium kibble.
I would suggest you get her on something without so many grains. She may not muscle up more, but she will have more endurance with a more meat based diet.
Something like EVO www.naturapet.com
or something like Orijen
Orijen
or Timberwolf Organics.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 03-27-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I stared her a yr ago on a Muscle Up supplemnt without steriods in it, ........................... I just thought that their might be a better supplemnt for her, that would enhance her physical build, because the supplemt she has been on, dosen't seem to be helping her.
What type of muscle supplement? Name? Is it a whey or soy protein?
I can't think of any protein supplement or muscle building supplement that a dog would realisitically be able to metabolize. THey have short fast digestive tracts, and most likely it doesn't get absorbed.

Quote:
and she eats Premium Kibble, from Nutro, she has been in Agility Training for over a yr,
Already been said, but if you want to build muscle, you need to feed a food with higher meat protein content. Spend your money there, NOT on supplements. Dogs need meat. Dogs metabolize energy/muscle building properties from meat best.

Quote:
I do have a workout schedual for her, and she completes 4 miles a day, at a light jog speed of 3.5.
I've had this conversation recently, and people have different opinions on what type of excercise, pace a dog should run at etc.... IMO, running at a light jog speed may build endurance, but that type of excercise limits the intensity & number of muscles used. I see dogs who only do treadmill, or jog with bike constantly get injuries. WHen a dog injures himself it is because he strained a muscle that is not conditioned. There needs to be variety in excercise regime. Up the pace on a bike to a quick run, then down to a jog- interval training. If your dog is a great fetcher, swimming couldn't be any better, and fairly safe. The resistance of the water, and the intense drive of the dog to get the toy ASAP- couldn't be more intense and utilizes all sorts of muscles.

I kind of discovered this accidentally. My dog seems to lose 8lbs fairly quickly in the fall, and its because we cease the swimming, and the frequency of outdoor activities. I believe he really builds the most muscle with games of swimming fetch. (Check out my pics in the Gallery!) And you won't necessarily see a dog "build" muscle, but get more defined "ripped".

43% of all statistics are worthless!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupieindenial View Post
I see dogs who only do treadmill, or jog with bike constantly get injuries. WHen a dog injures himself it is because he strained a muscle that is not conditioned.
I would argue that dogs who do this kind of exercise get injured more often because this exercise is somewhat forced in the sense that it is the human, not the dog that decides when enough is enough...so of course the dog could be pushed past thier abilities/conditioning.

In the example of fetch/swimming, my dog will slow down when he is tired or stop and lay in the grass or refuse to bring back the ball for me to throw which is a great sign that he's had enough. At this time, we pack it in and go home to lay on the couch for a nice rest. the next time he can go a little longer, and we do.

Of course the relative intensity of "just" running/biking lends itself to lean dogs, where as sprinting (think fetch) and swimming leads to more muscle volume and definition. Think about the bodies of marathon runners vs. track runners/swimmers. None of those athletes could be considered fat by ANY stretch but they have distinctly different body shapes.

All to say the higher intensity exercise might help achieve more defnition as groupie said but I think you need to be careful in your approach to this as many dogs will do what we ask, even if it is too much for them. Over conditioning (or inappropriate conditioning) could be VERY hard on your dog's body and lead to underperformance.

Owned by:

CRMCH BEAR PCD, CGN, RA, FDCh, CRVCL, CRXT, ATD, HSS, SDS, HTAD1, AADC, AGDC

EPIC NTD, CRNCL, HT

Old 03-28-2007, 02:38 AM

Be sure to feed a diet high in animal protein! If you have a healthy and fit dog, then consider road work, which involves hill climbing. Also, uphill workouts are great! This builds muscle on you and the dog! Swimming is also an excellent muscle builder and is a low-impact exercise.
kathy

Old 03-28-2007, 02:50 AM

The only thing that will build muscle is lean protein and lots of excerise. Im not sure what kind of muscle building supplements are out there for dogs ,but there are other supplements out there that aid and can help with recovery. I use Martins Anit-Oxidant formula and the Energol. Both have a decent amount of Omega 3's which aid in recovery, and is a supplement that a dogs body cannot asymilate on its on.
High Performance Dog Food, Supplements and Nutritional Products - Martin's K9 Formula Online Shop

Old 03-28-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROYSMYBOY View Post
The only thing that will build muscle is lean protein and lots of excerise. Im not sure what kind of muscle building supplements are out there for dogs ,but there are other supplements out there that aid and can help with recovery. I use Martins Anit-Oxidant formula and the Energol. Both have a decent amount of Omega 3's which aid in recovery, and is a supplement that a dogs body cannot asymilate on its on.
High Performance Dog Food, Supplements and Nutritional Products - Martin's K9 Formula Online Shop
Nothing has been said to indicate that this dog is actually recoving from any complaint or injury.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
Nothing has been said to indicate that this dog is actually recoving from any complaint or injury.
Yes this is true, but as with Humans or any other type of animal, in order for the body to build muscle it must break it down first. When we excercise we deplete the nutrients in our body, the same goes for dogs or cats or whatever. That is what is meant by RECOVERY, not recovery from an injury.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:24 PM

Been a long time since this last Post, and alot has taken place, I won't bore any of you with the details, but I am very happy to report that soon after this post , last year, I did remove her from that supplement, I couldn't tell ya which one it was, I just recall tossing it in the garbage, you all made so much sense.

And the Kibble I too decided to change from Nutro, ( I sell , sold it in my store here) and now I bought into the Natura Pet ( Evo, Inovva) and she's turned out just fine, she's 3 1/2 now and uses her Treadmill stiil but I do it with more Incline and less distance now, and she gets plenty of swimming, since I moved to an area that we are walking distance from to the Lake.

I have pulled her from Agility and we just do walks every day and she comes to work with me also, sh''e my Offical Greeter here at my Store, so she has a daily ration of Love and children and dogs. What a Great dog she has become.

Love and Light, Kimberleigh
Ambassador for the Cesar & Illusion Millan Foundation, Inc.

Stay Calm and Assertive.

Last edited by kdogspa; 08-31-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: spelling