Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 03:46 PM

Iams My God, the Gas!!!!!

So we are running low on money and have to get Gunner alot of winter things too, and Christmas and all....blah blah blah. I guess that is my excuse for getting a bag of IAMS!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH.

That poor dog. We agreed it would only be one bag and back to his reg food. (Eagle Holistic Natural Formula) I am feeling so bad for him. He has to Gobble down twice as much, poop twice as much and his poop smells!!!!! BAD!!!

I might take some Iams and dump them in the yard to get this bag done quicker (I know that s not saving money) But I feel so bad for him.

All in all he will survive, but I was wondering if there is anything helpful I could add in the meantime (wich I totally get defeats the puropose of saving money as well) to add a little more nourishment for him?

Has anyone else ever skimped on their dog food during a crunched time?

Old 12-01-2006, 04:31 PM

Re: Iams My God, the Gas!!!!!

Why not donate the Iams to a local shelter or rescue group?

We've never scrimped on dog food...

For those that feed Natures Variety Prairie (or want to try it), go to www.naturesvariety.com\iloveit and get a coupon for a FREE 4-6 pound bag of food!

Old 12-01-2006, 04:37 PM

Have you tried yogurt for the gas? Things I like to give (and they like to get) are yogurt, apples, carrots, bananas. I tried green beans and only Gretchen ate them (Samson ate around them). Neither really liked broccoli, but I couldn't blame them
since I don't like it either.

ETA: Yes, they've been given a feeding of Purina One once or twice since I switched to the good stuff. I was on business travel and my mom was dog sitting. Their good stuff ran out and my mom couldn't get to the feed store.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:40 PM

If I can feed myself, then I can feed the dog! You can mix in some healthy leftovers to the Iams; like scrambled or soft cooked egg; canned fish (sardines in water, mackerel or pink salmon); lightly browned ground beef (drain well); plain yogurt. You can add cooked and deboned, chicken or turkey, cooked vegetables, cottage cheese. These are just ideas of what you can feed your dog temporarily(assuming this is a healthy adult!). These are NOT recipes!
Best wishes-
kathy

Old 12-01-2006, 05:53 PM

Ok, I will admit quite a few years ago I had to feed Cheerios w/veggies and yogurt for one morning meal until I could get to the feed store after work that night. I felt like a bad parent but at least he wasn't hungry for that day!

Old 12-01-2006, 10:45 PM

He is very healthy, and almost into his 16th month. I have to admit I will probably not skimp on the food again. I have been adding a daily egg to his kibble and he gets daily yogurt as well either mixed with his food or in a Kong.

I thought I would put this thread out there so people would see that while it seems like youare saving money and all, you really arent. Once you add up all the stuff you add in, you are really back to the price of the bag of food you should have gotten in the firts place---sans the gassy dog, and the three extra monster piles of poop in the yard......

Old 12-01-2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsey'sMom View Post
He is very healthy, and almost into his 16th month. I have to admit I will probably not skimp on the food again. I have been adding a daily egg to his kibble and he gets daily yogurt as well either mixed with his food or in a Kong.

I thought I would put this thread out there so people would see that while it seems like youare saving money and all, you really arent. Once you add up all the stuff you add in, you are really back to the price of the bag of food you should have gotten in the firts place---sans the gassy dog, and the three extra monster piles of poop in the yard......
LOL and soooo true. I only skimped on food once and my dog not only refused to eat it for a day, when I hand fed it to her one meal she threw it all back up within an hour. Huge STINKY pile of dog vomit on my favorite rug!!! I promptly bought her a bag of her regular food and donated the other bag to the shelter here in town..... I can skimp on my food (buy store brands instead of name brands) but never again will I skimp on my dogs food!
Alainn-9yr Calico cat
Punkin-RIP 11/1/200-3/21/2010
Church-14yr Black Cat
and the husband Nick

Old 12-02-2006, 07:51 AM

The last show we went to we get there and realize we packed all but Serena's food! Couldn't find a pet store. So I bought a bag of Purina one and mixed it with some raw food we had brought for ring bait. She only had to live with two meals of this. Then when we got home, my middle child thought he was helping and mixed the purina in with Serena's Canidae. Now since I let the kids feed Serena, it was a couple days before I realized she was still eating it. I discoverwed it because I noticed the tremendously LARGE pile of poop. If this ever happens again, I'll just go to the grocery store and work up some raw meals.
Jemar's V. Anything Goes Little Loki RA, CGC 10-07
Corabella von der Aunkst 09-10

Old 12-02-2006, 12:09 PM

We have had to scrimp a couple of times in the last few years when it came to the dog and cats food. Normally they are fed California Natural. When the budget got tight we went back to giving them Nutro Natural, which is what we fed before we switched them to Cal. Nat., for a few months.

Jaime
11 yr. Male DSH - Baxter

Old 12-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Valued Member

I had to take some time off work last winter and did have a $$ shortage but I was able to get some samples from the local place where I get my food. It's an independant local store I know the staff and they understood my problem and why it was important for me to keep Bear who had jus come from a shelter 2 months earlier on a reasonable food. They also know that I only buy my food at this store and after their generosity, I'm sure I'll never buy anywhere's else.

Know anyone that works in a feed store that can get you samples or food that had passed it's SELL BY date? You usually have some time at least 6 months to feed after the sell by date but many retailers can't/won't sell it by then.

As an aside, I don't know what Iams costs where you are but here Iams and Healthwise (made by the same company as Innova) are within 10$ of each other and Healthwise is far superior ingredients-wise.

Owned by:

CRMCH BEAR PCD, CGN, RA, FDCh, CRVCL, CRXT, ATD, HSS, SDS, HTAD1, AADC, AGDC

EPIC NTD, CRNCL, HT

Old 12-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsey'sMom View Post
but I was wondering if there is anything helpful I could add in the meantime :
Prime Rib and Crab Imperial
Gone Only From My Eyes - Forever in My Heart

Old 12-05-2006, 02:49 PM

LOL, Thanks BM!!!!

I think I have definately learned my lesson!!! Gunner's little buddy, Shadow is chowing down on his Iams at the moment, he he!

Old 12-05-2006, 03:04 PM

I used to feed my dogs Iams, until I started reading here about the different kinds of dog foods. I'm not sure how prices are in your area, but I was pleased (to say the least) when I found out that I can buy a bag of Canidae at a local store for half the price of what I was paying for Iams. I know that Canidae is not your regular food, but maybe it will be cheaper than the Iams that you bought to save money.

Good Luck.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:10 PM

Thank you!! Everyone!!! Poor Gunner is doing okay----there is definately extra poo to clean up. I bought some sardines in water at the market for him this week and am alternating that with his egg. I also bought some low sodium makeral as well. The Iams is disspearing fast too-so that is good.

His energy level is good and he has been so busy playing with a tire daddy snagged from work (racing tire) he couldnt care less about his food....