Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2006, 11:33 PM

Talking How often do you bathe your dog?

Hey guys,

Just curious to see how often you all bathe your dogs. Marcino gets a bath with a mild shampoo every 4-6 weeks... (I'm really finicky about that doggy dog smell ). Even through I comb/groom him every day his rolling in the grass & dirt habbit gets him smelly really quick. Come the winter he only gets one every 3-4 months.

Cheers -

Vanessa

Old 10-28-2006, 12:18 AM

Re: How often do you bathe your dog?

I usually bathe my dogs about 2 times a year and that's only if they actually rolled around in the mud during the spring and fall..........
Alainn-9yr Calico cat
Punkin-RIP 11/1/200-3/21/2010
Church-14yr Black Cat
and the husband Nick

Old 10-28-2006, 12:22 AM

The dogs here are bathed twice yearly (spring & fall) unless they REALLY need it...I find with regular brushing they don't really need baths...

Old 10-28-2006, 07:00 AM

We play in the water often in the spring and summer. Unless needed, a good brushing is usually enough. I know there are some on here that don't bathe unless the dog has rolled in something stinky. But a rottie would NEVER do that would they? (sarcasm)
Jemar's V. Anything Goes Little Loki RA, CGC 10-07
Corabella von der Aunkst 09-10

Old 10-28-2006, 07:55 AM

I only bath Harley 2 times a year. Mind you he is a very clean dog, and hates mud and dirt, lol. Even puddles for that matter.

Taz 1/10-7/10 RIP Never had a chance :(
Roxy a rescued rott RIP Oct 27, 09
Mercy Rescued pup RIP May 19th 2011

Old 10-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Vintage Valued Member

I find their coats to be self cleaning to some degree. A good brushing will do most of the time. I bathe maybe twice a year. Brush often. If they get muddy paws, or a bit of mud on their back, I use premoistened doggy towelettes.

I have allergies and am sensitive to odors. Rottweilers, depending on their environment (perhaps food also) are the most odor-free breed I've ever encountered!

My Cocker Spaniel has to have at least a monthly bath. And I keep him trimmed! I had a Collie once. Again Peeyew!! My stepson's Golden? EW! No comparison.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:37 AM

Sorry everyone, I have never bathed my dogs. Teazle is not a show dog and I want her to retain all her natural oils for walking in all sorts of weather. However, if she rolls in something smelly, then I will wash that part of her body. But she doesn't do it very often thank goodness.

Her coat is soft and shiny and a delight to touch, perhaps just a tad too nice for a rottie as I think it should be a bit coarser.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:46 AM

I bathe daisy often. Every 8 weeks or so. She has a very shiny, soft coat. It has not damaged her in any way, no dry skin, no dandruff.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Novice Member

I was bathing Tara about every 8-10 weeks because I can NOT stand that nasty 'doggie' smell. However, I decided to try spacing out her baths this summer. The last time that she had a wet bath was mid-May, and the last dry bath was early-or mid-June. Interestingly enough, her coat is still shiny and she has no odor at all. Everyone always asks if she has been given a bath in the last couple of days. I truly think it is a product of the food that we feed (Canidae P.A.W.S.) and being an inside dog.
Unless she starts to produce an odor or she rolls in something (which she doesn't do), I am going to hold out as long as I can to give her another bath because I know it's better for her.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:36 AM

We bathe our dogs every 8 weeks, less in winter, with a very mild soap from the vet. Coco likes to bury things in the yard making her snout and paws very dirty every so often. The dogs are on the couches and Coco sleeps in the bed with us so we prefer to keep things on the cleaner side.

Karlan
Luna 6 yr old Rottie
Coco - Rainbow Bridge

Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 AM

Forgot to say that Teazle does not have a "doggy" smell either.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:15 PM

I think Abby got her last bath last Christmas. Generally I find brushing works well, and I also keep a towel handy and rub her down whenever she gets naturally wet from swimming or walking in the rain. No smell, no dandruff, just a shiny happy dog. However, I do think breeds and natural coat oils vary. My old male rottie was as maintenance-free as Abby, but his not-weiller sister, a Border Collie/Shepherd mix, could get quite rancid smelling if she were not bathed regularly...and they were on the same diet.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:27 PM

I gave each of my rotties a bath when I first got them. they have no doggie odor. I do wipe them down if they get deep down dusty, I clean ears if they look dirty.

My shar pei is so stinky a bath dosen't even help. I know some breeds are stinkier than others, and shar peis are stinky.

I think brushing a dog is better than a bath.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:37 PM

This is a very nice thread! The general concencus here points out a little-publicized fact; Rotweilers are clean low-maintenance dogs normally without excessive odour. My experience also. I also bath mine 8 - 10 weeks apart, brush almost every second day, a ritual he likes. They do shed heavily at times, brushing helps. Sometimes the brush takes off enough hair for a whole dog, by the looks. We have a small pool through which he wades every summer day, but doesn't swim own his own. Fell in when the pool was new, maybe a bit wary now. They do have a certain smell, but I actually like that Rottweiler aroma.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:10 PM

I usually give Mojo a bath 2 times per year unless she needs it more often. so far this year ive missed her second bath and just weekly brushings do the trick. She has no doggy odor. She loves brushings, but, HATES baths.