Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2000, 09:27 AM

Pork and dogs

My mom had a vet that once told her that Pork can kill a dog. He said that a person can feed a dog pork for years and not have an effect then one day give him a slice of bacon and It will kill him. Also that some dogs it won't effect at all. He said that if you check dog foods you won't see pork in them. Granted this was in the 70's. Since then my mom has always insisted that you never give a dog pork. Of course because of that I don't, but I have never seen the subject discussed here so I wondered if that was in fact true or something that was thought to be true years ago and proven not to be true. I only give Starr dog food and no people food although I have thought about giving her veggies because of what I've read here. Please answer as I would really like to know.

[This message has been edited by Starsmom (edited September 15, 2000).]

Old 09-15-2000, 10:54 AM

As far as I know pork meat will not harm dogs. It disagrees with a lot dogs. I know the "Eagle" brand dog food used pork for it's protein a few years ago. I don't know if they still do.

Old 09-15-2000, 09:41 PM

I home cook for my dogs & they get pork once in a while, if its bad I've not heard of it. Although I have heard that pork is definately not good for them if its raw.

Old 09-15-2000, 09:48 PM

Pork is very high in fat and sodium. Most of the time; when a dog comes in with rip roaring pancreatitis it's either from a pork product or prime rib fat.

Much better option is chicken

Old 09-17-2000, 06:06 PM

Workingdogz,

Is the same the case with unprocessed, lean pork?

Old 09-18-2000, 12:18 AM

Having just gone through a very mild case of pancreatitis I agree with workindogz. Seems their dad was feeding them bacon and sausage on an almost daily basis -- he didn't know better but sure does now! Dogs simply are not meant to deal with alot of fat.

The cost to your dog -- probably a chronic condition which could lead to diabetes. If its acute then there is risk of secondary damage to the heart, lungs, kidneys, liver and brain, blood clotting problems and infection.

The cost to you for an acute episode -- about 2-5 days at the vets on IV fluids, antibiotics and antiacids at whatever the going rate is in your community. Mine at the ER vets cost me $500 for just a 24 hour period.

Just the facts, Ma'am, just the facts .

Old 09-18-2000, 12:25 AM
Soapie&Buddy'sMom

wow this is interesting and something i never thought about! i don't feed my dogs pork on a regular basis, but i often buy a ham and cheese hoagie and give them the ham as a treat, since i don't eat meat.
i haven't eaten meat for almost 20 years, and i'm a little out of it - is ham as bad as pork? should i start buying turkey and cheese hoagies?
hmmmmmmmm

Old 09-18-2000, 02:48 AM

I never have given my dogs PORK, I don't give them pork bones either!!! I guess it because of Trichinosis(SP)a parasite that lives in pork..Even if it is cooked well,it much to salty as said above and fatty,I prefer Chicken and beef bones(No chicken bones tho')But I would check with a vet with experience with nutrition,LOOK ONLINE,I can't believe what all is on this thing,stuff you dont even want to know So No I wouldn't give pork,and those pig ears,someone on here stated that it did something to their dogs,like made them Hyper or something???? JEAN

Old 09-18-2000, 07:50 AM

My eskie became seriously ill after eating a tiny piece of cooked pork. It probably depends a lot on the type dog because my other dogs never had a problem with it but I don't feed it now.

Old 09-18-2000, 08:03 AM

Dei,

Processed (cured) pork seems to present more of a problem than the unprocessed; however, since accute pancreatitis isn't a rare or unusual thing, I recall several owners giving pork roast (an uncured product) with the same results as ham.

Accute pancreatitis can turn into a chronic condition unfortunately and really is an uncomfortable (and potentially deadly) condition for the dog. They are just miserable

Really good rule of thumb just to be safe...eat your ham and toss out the scraps from the Outback Steak House

Turkey and chicken are the "real" white meat

Old 09-18-2000, 11:56 AM

Hi All,
Well I kinda have to disagree as I have given my dogs RAW pork neck bones & feet for years! I have never had any problems with this of course I don't do it all the time they get neck bones about 1 time weekly & feet about once a month! They love it & since since I haven't had a problem in over 15 years I guess I will continue to do it! JMHO

------------------
BETTY HASTY
NO LIMIT ROTTS
(FORMERLY REED'S/VON LUKEGAROO)

Old 10-05-2000, 02:31 PM

Let's just say I have found that both of my girls (Rottie and Poodle) are "Pork Intolerant" I don't know what the Chemistry is on that but needless to say, we stay away from Pork.

Have you hugged your Rottie Today???