Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2000, 08:03 PM

How do I get out that Kennel smell??

Hi, I adopted my 5 mo old Iskendar a few weeks ago. Unfortunatly, she was in a pound, with her sister, in a tiny smelly little concrete run, with no seperate bathroom facilities. The kennel smell wasn't too noticable till yesterday, when the dogs were out in the mist/rain, and came in wet...uuuggghhh eeewwww! Kennel smell dog! She smelled like urine, not surprising given the conditions she was living in.
I gave her a bath today using Vetrolin shampoo, and she is only somewhat better, but still smells like a rotting-fish dog when you bury your nose in her fur.
HOW do I get that awful smell out?? I'm not into giving her a million baths, I don't think it's good for her, and it's terribly cold around here (about 40F and rainy).

Old 08-30-2000, 08:28 PM

Hi there! Just wanted to say, I can feel your pain! LOL!!
I had the same problem with Rescue. I bathed her twice within three days, when she first came to my home, because she had that "shelter stench". I thought the problem was solved after the second bath, but it came back a few days later. I also hate giving the dogs a bath so I broke down and took her to a groomer that would let me stay with her while she was getting groomed. (I won't ever (again) leave my dogs unattended with a groomer.) Anyway, she used something that had eucalyptus in it, and Rescue smells great now, even deep down! Maybe you could find a shampoo with eucalyptus in it. Good Luck!
Lindylu

Old 08-30-2000, 10:04 PM

I use a horse shampoo called Orvis. If it can get the stink off a horse it can freshen up a kennel dog.

------------------
Tri-Star Rottweiler's
Champions & Companions

Old 09-01-2000, 08:18 AM
Novice Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Starten2Rott:
Hi, I adopted my 5 mo old Iskendar a few weeks ago. Unfortunatly, she was in a pound, with her sister, in a tiny smelly little concrete run, with no seperate bathroom facilities. The kennel smell wasn't too noticable till yesterday, when the dogs were out in the mist/rain, and came in wet...uuuggghhh eeewwww! Kennel smell dog! She smelled like urine, not surprising given the conditions she was living in.
I gave her a bath today using Vetrolin shampoo, and she is only somewhat better, but still smells like a rotting-fish dog when you bury your nose in her fur.
HOW do I get that awful smell out?? I'm not into giving her a million baths, I don't think it's good for her, and it's terribly cold around here (about 40F and rainy).
petsmart carries a product called skunk oder emimanitor, it works on kennel smell too

------------------
Ruth & Baron Xavier CKC, CGC

Old 09-01-2000, 09:10 AM

Even dogs that have never lived a day in a kennel STINK when wet..like gag me stink.

Brushing the dog helps stimulate the natural oils in the skin and would also serve to "rid" the skin of the old oils and let the newer (fresher) oils surface.

After a rain-play for my dogs, my 16 year old daughter informed me that the house smells like "Straight DOG MOM!" Yeah?! Well I can remember a few diaper changes when she was a baby that SHE didn't smell like a petunia EITHER!

Old 09-01-2000, 09:22 AM

I get that smell all the time because I foster dogs that come from shelters and nothing is worse than "shelter smell". A couple of things will help first of course the bath and I do it every other day for a week, the second is when she starts eating good food, it makes a big difference. Two things you want to rule out 1)check her ears make sure they have no odor and they aren't hot she could have a yeast infection and that has an awful odor 2)mange if she has any bare spots on her head or leg areas you might want to take her to the vet demodex mange is very common in shelter dogs I won't get into the long explanation but the stress of the shelter evironment can bring out this type of none contagious mange.

Good luck with your baby.

Old 09-03-2000, 02:34 PM

I have heard of people using "Tail&Mane" shampoo. I don't know if it works or not but for that kind of smell I would try just about anything!.

Old 09-08-2000, 02:36 PM
Sylken&Co

When I was younger we had daschunds and they just used to reak! But everytime they went to the vets for an overnight they'd come home smelling wonderful with really soft fur. Same for the cat. Finally I asked our vet what was being used and she gave us a bottle of Sebolux. Its a soothing shampoo (sort of like an itchy scalp shampoo for dogs and cats) and normally you can only get through a vet. You can call around to the vets in your area and see if they carry it or anything similar. Hope this helps.

------------------
Cheers! Shauna

[This message has been edited by Hawk (edited December 11, 2000).]