Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Novice Member

Pro-Plan versus Purina One

For all you Pro-Plan folk out there. Purina for a while has been doing a nasty slight of hand. I have seen a new "raw" version called Pro-Plan Selects, so I do not know about the formulation, but Pro-Plan and Purina One are the same dog foods. Apparently Purina just changed the name and the nugget shapes to give Pro-Plan some cache at the big box warehouse pet stores, and specialty stores. Purina One was originally meant only for Supermarkets.

Don't believe me? Take a look for yourselves!!

http://www.proplan.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=81

http://www.purinaone.com/products_dog_chickenrice.asp

Yes folks, Purina is pulling a fast one. So don't be like me, and buy Pro-Plan believing it is a better formula than Purina One. For the record, I did call Purina to have them tell me the difference between the two, other than kibble shape. Their response, after putting me on hold, was the send me $5 and $7 coupons to bring the price inline with Purina One!!

Certainly if your Rottie is doing well on Pro-Plan, I by no means am saying you change - I am not a vet. But I do know if you paying more money thinking Pro-Plan is a superior formula, just compare the ingredients!!!

Old 04-29-2006, 08:37 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Pro-Plan versus Purina One

I suggest you do some reading on the forums.
There are so many more good foods out there.....and they are not anything "Purina".
Both of the foods that you posted about are not quality foods....full of poor quality meat and tons of grains.

Your dog will do so much better and you will need to feed so much less food. Stay away from any foods containing, corn or wheat or soya or by-product meal.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 04-30-2006, 01:40 AM
Novice Member

Re: Pro-Plan versus Purina One

Oh, LOL. Sorry, I meant to put the rest of my message in. If you look on the poll thread, "What do you feed your Rottie?" I posted that I feed her Natural Balance.

I just posted this, because according to the poll, some people listed Pro-Plan and Purina One - so I just wanted to point it out.

Thank you for the advice though. When I first adopted Athina I was pretty ignorant about formulas, especially the unnecessary corn in food.

She does well on Natural Balance, though, so I am happy with that.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:58 AM
One of the Old Folks

Cool Re: Pro-Plan versus Purina One

Good to hear!
I try to encourage dog owner's to feed a quality food....and so many think feeding Purina is quality.
For the same price or a few dollars more they could be feeding quality.

Gina

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 04-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Valued Member

Well, first, the ingredients lists are NOT the same, which means the formulas aren't the same:

Pro Plan's first 5 ingredients: Chicken, brewers rice, whole grain wheat, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, whole grain corn,

Purina ONE's first 5 ingredients: Chicken (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine),

Second, it's entirely possible that even if they DID have the same ingredients list (which they don't) that the quality of the ingredients was different. That said, both foods are crap in my opinion, I don't feed wheat OR corn, and I don't feed by-products (the quality controls are far too loose).

Last edited by spidey; 04-30-2006 at 10:29 AM.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:38 AM

hmmm -- glad i switched jack off of proplan -- no wonder he was pooping like a racehorse when i first brought him home!

Old 05-06-2006, 08:55 PM

I've been slowly switching from Proplan to California Natural, but his poops seem to be much more loose. Any ideas???

Old 05-07-2006, 11:09 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: Pro-Plan versus Purina One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo'sMom
I've been slowly switching from Proplan to California Natural, but his poops seem to be much more loose. Any ideas???
Good for you for switching to a better quality food.
You are probably overfeeding the California Natural...and that's why your dog has loose poops.
So much more Proplan has to be fed because there are less calories and more grains and fillers. I would cut back by about at least 1 cup per day and see how things go. California Natural has over 500 calories per cup...so your dog would need much less.

How old is your dog and how much does he weigh?

Gina

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China