Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2006, 12:57 AM

Unhappy rawhide fattening?

my dog eats nutreince low fat food. he was toned until we started giving him the raw hide bones to chew...he goes through one a night. he's now 160 pounds..double my size almost...are they making him fat?????????????

Old 02-02-2006, 08:41 AM

Re: rawhide fattening?

that is something i'd like to know as well. my vet suggested we give our's rawhides to help reduce the tarter build up. our vet says ours is slightly overweight so we switched to eukanuba restricted calorie feed. she is losing the weight, which will be good for the hips down the road. we give her 2 rawhides per week. maybe one a day is too much for your dog. the only bad thing i have to say with rawhides is it makes her extremely gassy. she could clear a room! this is hardly worth mentioning, but....we are about 20 minutes from punxsutawney.....six more weeks of winter! YUCK!!!!!

Old 02-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Valued Member

I just found the following on a pet health website

"There are calories in rawhide. There is also protein and it is digestible but is not considered a “food” item. Rawhide should only be offered in addition to a balanced diet. Although there are mentioned benefits of rawhides, the calories can add up. Moderation is the key. Some suggest that two hours worth of chewing a day is adequate for most pets."

I never would have known this had you not asked....I don't feed my dog rawhide because he demolished it in minutes and then barfs up large piecers of rawhide as it's not highly digestible.

Assuming you don;t feed him lots of treats and he doesn't "steal" food out of the garbage can AND he gets lots of exercise, maybe it IS the rawhide! However, thyroid problems can cause weight gain too...might be worth a blood test.

In the meantime, if you want to give your dog something to chew on try a nylabone...it's calorie free AND good for his teeth.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:43 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: rawhide fattening?

Yes...rawhides have calories...I would suggest you give only one a week and brush your dogs teeth 2-3 times per week.

You must get the weight off of your dog...cut back on the food (way back), more exercise and if you must give treats give fruit or baby carrots.

If this does not work, then get his thyroid levels tested. It is a common problem with Rotts.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 02-08-2006, 03:55 PM

I was always under the understanding that rawhides were not good for them because they aren't digestible and can swell up in their stomach. We stay away from them and give Tara nylabones for her teeth.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Valued Member

I used to give my dogs rawhide & and pig's ears as treats from time to time until I read, years ago, that if they are imported and not 100% made in the US, these items can contain chemicals used in their treatment that aren't healthy or good for our cainine friends. At this point, I don't remember what these chemicals were, only that I stopped feeding these items. The only time I'll give a dog rawhide or a pig's ear is during an evaluation of the dog for my rescue program. There are better, healthier treats to give your dog than rawhide.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:16 AM

Wow I didn't know that.

Thanks for that info. really helps!

Old 02-10-2006, 02:19 AM

Question Re: rawhide fattening?

he was toned until we started giving him the raw hide bones to chew...he goes through one a night. he's now 160 pounds..double my size almost...are they making him fat?????????????[/QUOTE]

Holy cow how old is your dog, he is 3 times my pups weight (she is 9 mo) WOW, super huge or a super fatty?

Old 02-10-2006, 12:47 PM

I used to give my dogs rawhide, and yes the calories added up. I always suspected hormones in the rawhide also. I switched to the nylabone and our first Rott chewed it into pieces. I thought that was not possible. The second one I switched to Kongs and the little puppy teeth pierced those in no time. I am planning on getting another puppy, and I they need to chew something, or they will chew me or my furniture. Any suggstions?

The rawhide also used to get swollen and gt stuck in dog 2's throat. Had to stick my hand half way down to go get it. Good thing I have a small hand and dog had big mouth.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:17 PM

I don't give rawhides because I read somewhere (maybe here) that they are treated/preserved with chemicals. Since they don't typically have nutrition labels on them, you don't really know for sure, so I just avoid them.

Ganko -- my Rott chews the nylabone in half and the chews down and eats the halves, and that's the durable nylabone at that. Yes, it's definitely possible, and probable given the powerful jaws these guys have. I also have a Galileo bone, and that thing is as hard as a rock. I don't think it's as flavored as the nylabones, so he doesn't chew on it a lot, however he hardly makes a dent in it when he does.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:23 PM

Personally, I do not feed any of my dogs rawhides. They all have there Kongs and Nylabones. If I want them to have something edible to chew on, I usually give them Bully Sticks! They love them!

Old 02-10-2006, 04:33 PM

when I feed a big rawhidebone:diarea guarateed.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Novice Member

I would never give a dog rawhide chews or bones, or anything made of rawhide. Choking, obstructions forming in the stomach or intestines, transfer of salmonella, and in unregulated production they can be preserved with toxic chemicals are some of the hazards.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:39 PM

I just found an article on rawhides that our puppy trainer passed along to us during a class. According to this article, in some countries the hides may contain residues of arsenic, lead, antibiotics or insecticides. These types are often bargain priced and unlabeled. So if you like giving rawhides, stay away from the cheapies for sure.

This article also says that rawhides may not necessarily work for tartar, either. They may not get up into the gumline where the tarter is.