Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:21 AM

Talking An alternative to Cosequin DS?

I'm looking for a new brand of glucosamine/chondroitin (possibly with MSM too) and want to pick brains.

I'm well aware of the lack of consistancy in quality amongst many of the neutraceuticals and am leary of most brands. The Cosequin DS has been great, but it's quite pricey and if I can find an equivalent for less (especially for 4 dogs), that would be great.

I want something that gives high levels of glucos/chondroit without me having to give 5 or 6 pills/spoonfuls per dog. I'd love to find a good liquid if one is out there, but any "good" form will do.

I'd like to hear what people are using, if there is any quality guarantee with it, and what the amount per dose is (i.e. 500mg chondroitin per dose).

I am not interested in generics or "super cheap" brands, as I don't trust their quality.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2006, 11:37 AM

Re: An alternative to Cosequin DS?

this stuff is honestly the only supplement we used that I ever saw indisputable improvement for Hilda. not even the cosequin ds helped as much. I don't know if it was the combination of the other ingredients or what. Lots of horse supplements supposedly aren't safe for dogs, but this one says it is.

http://www.farnamhorse.com/product.p...03&key=200005#

there is label info on this site, and the only thing I didn't like was the sugar. it can be hard to find, we used to get it every time we drove to Albuq. now we have a PetSmart with an equine department, so I can get it closer.

Last edited by debbiej; 01-12-2006 at 12:07 PM.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Valued Member

We use Schiff "Move-Free." I"m not sure what the levels are, the bottle is at home.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:49 AM

Thank you ladies!

Here is a great article I found, presenting research to back up the claims of false labelling. I only wish that they'd tell you which brands were which!

Re: the absorptivity of chondroitin sulfate:

"it would appear that the molecular weight of chondroitin sulfate has a direct influence on its permeability across the gastrointestinal tract, where higher permeability is observed for chondroitin sulfate with lower molecular weight."

Does quality vary with the price? In this study, any product which was less than $1.00 per daily dose of 1200mg chondroitin sulfate showed VERY poor quality and extreme variance from the labelled concentration (i.e. they found far less in the samples than was said to exist).

"Our initial hypothesis was that the quality of product may be a function of retail price. In a separate analysis of the data contained in Figure 3, the supplement retail purchased prices, not including any consumer rebates, were
transformed to reflect a standard retail price (SP) per daily dose of 1200 mg of chondroitin sulfate as reflected on the label. The content-analyzed products and their percentages relative to each product’s label claim (PLC) were calculated. Figure 3 is a scatter plot showing that products with a
standard retail price of less than or equal to one dollar are seriously deficient in meeting label claim (less than 10% PLC). When the retail price exceeds one dollar, the figure indicates that there are two different clusters of products,
with the majority having less than acceptable label claim. Only a few products (5 out of 32) satisfied the industry accepted 10% variation in label claim in levels of chondroitin sulfate. Variation greater than 10% suggests poor quality of raw material or poor manufacturing processes and lack of quality control."

Is there variation from the labelled amount?

"As can be seen from the figure, the amount found after analysis was significantly different from the label claim in some products, with deviations from label claims ranging from as low as 25% to over 115%."

Full article: Eddington Study

It's pretty easy to read and the graphs of variance from labelled content are of great interest.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiej
this stuff is honestly the only supplement we used that I ever saw indisputable improvement for Hilda. not even the cosequin ds helped as much. I don't know if it was the combination of the other ingredients or what. Lots of horse supplements supposedly aren't safe for dogs, but this one says it is.

http://www.farnamhorse.com/product.p...03&key=200005#

there is label info on this site, and the only thing I didn't like was the sugar. it can be hard to find, we used to get it every time we drove to Albuq. now there is a PetSmart with an equine department, so I can get it closer.
Thank you! I'm going to call them (the mfgr) and see if they can provide me with analysis data on the purity, as well as the molecular weight of the chondroitin. Shall we guess how many people I get passed around to on the phone?!

Old 01-12-2006, 11:57 AM

Hi Gretchen,
My vet recommends GlycoFlex as an alternative to Cosequin DS. I had excellent results using Glycoflex II with my rescue Maddy who had moderate HD when I adopted her. I also give it to Jazz to keep his joints healthy at his advanced age. Maintenance dose for Jazz at 110 lbs is 1 1/2 tablets OR 3 soft chews per day. There are 3 formulas:

GlycoFlex I (one pill or 2 soft chews)
Perna Mussel 600mg
Glucosamine HCl 500mg
DMG 100mg

GlycoFlex II (1 pill or 2 soft chews)
Glucosamine HCl 750mg
Perna mussel 600mg
MSM 500mg
DMG 100mg
Manganese (amino acid Chelate) 10mg

GlycoFlex III (1 pill or 2 soft chews)
Glucosamine HCl 1000mg
MSM 1000mg
Perna mussel 600mg
DMG 100mg
Vitamin E 50 IU
Vitamin C 30mg
Manganese (amino acid Chelate) 10mg
Grape seed extract 5mg
L-Glutathione 2mg
Selenium .002mg

I found the best price for this supplement at Countryside Pet Supply at http://www.countrysidepet.com/. BTW, they also have a discount price on Cosequin DS). Before purchasing from them, I contacted the manufacturer of GlycoFlex to verify that they are a customer.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:05 PM

I'll be glad to reap the efforts of your research Gretchen, I have often thought about giving it to her again, although the adequan injections are really helping. It runs about $40-$50 for a quart, and that is 32 doses for a big dog.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:07 PM

hi 2rotties2luv sorry to sidetrack bostonrott
but how did you get your dog to take glcoflex? our vet gave us this for jasper for HD and arthritis. but would not touch it, those pills are huge and the smell(yuk) the vet did say these were the best but jasper didnt think so so now on synoquin much easier for jasper
boston rott hope you find something maybe try the glcoflex?

Old 01-12-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julies
hi 2rotties2luv sorry to sidetrack bostonrott
but how did you get your dog to take glcoflex? our vet gave us this for jasper for HD and arthritis. but would not touch it, those pills are huge and the smell(yuk) the vet did say these were the best but jasper didnt think so so now on synoquin much easier for jasper
boston rott hope you find something maybe try the glcoflex?
Jazz doesn't like the taste of either the pills or the soft chews. I bury them in a spoonful of chicken or turkey baby food or peanut butter and he swallows them right down!

Also , some time ago I tried K9 Liquid Health, but Jazz would not touch it if I mixed it in food or water.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Novice Member

I am currently using both NutriFlex and SynFlex...both liquids along with Lakota in capsules...

http://www.lakotaherbs.com/english/2_canine.php

http://www.synflexamerica.com/index.php

http://www.nakaherbs.com/

Old 01-12-2006, 01:05 PM

I second the suggestion of GlycoFlex, it's a quality product. The manufacturer is Vetri-Science Labs of Vermont, http://www.vetriscience.com/.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:05 PM

I have Bella on Canine Liquid Health. I switch around every 3-6 mnths but honestly they all seem to be the same to me. I purchased this from a vendor at a dog show and it has the highest amounts of Gluc I have seen so far (I belive around 2500 mgs per Tbsp). a $50 bottle lasts 2 mnths so price was right as well. Because of Bella's current regimine (adequan and HA shots) it's harder to isolate the effectiveness of just the Glucosomine...I can get you more info on this product if you would like...

[SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Old 01-12-2006, 01:42 PM

I've been wanting to start Missy on something like this. She's willing to eat most anything, so I think I'll give the Glycoflex chews a try. If she balks, I'll wrap them in her generic Velveeta and go from there.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:18 PM

I use the Liquid Health...

http://www.countrysidepet.com/level.itml/icOid/2043

"Guts wins more games than ability"
Bob Zuppke

Old 01-12-2006, 03:04 PM

I think Liquid Health manufactures a few different types - the line I am using (its says 5000 or 500 or something on label) is a much stronger dosage.

[SIZE=1] [/SIZE]