Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 07:31 PM

Talking when should i stop feeding puppy food?

should i keep my pup on puppy food for the first full year?or is it ok to feed adult food? she's getting big! already 50lbs and 5 1/2 months old!
is this normal? not that she is haveing any problems with the puppy food..
just wondered cause i can get bigger bags of the adult food for the same price of the puppy food...she goes thru so much!!!! please help!

Old 06-14-2005, 08:47 PM

I'd say its probably good to stop giving puppy food at around 8 months, that is when I did, you don't want to give it for too long because she may grow too quickly. And for the amount of food, if your just leaving it out there she'll be eating all day long, just give her the required amount, I think you feed pups at that age 3 times a day so leave the food out for a certain amount of time each time. What kind of food are you feeding?

Old 06-14-2005, 08:51 PM

What food do you feed her? How often is she fed?? How does she look (besides looking like a ganly growing dog...is she tubby??

I have had Ben since 10 months old and he always ate adult food. My sister got a Corgi at 14 weeks and she ate adult dog food from the get-go. I know alot of people feed an all life stage dog food from 12 weeks on...

Old 06-15-2005, 06:38 AM

i feed her purina puppy chow..she only gets three bowls a day..i don't leave out all day! cause yes she would have an all day feast! lol..plus i had a hard time with the potty thing and i didn't want her eating all day and "POOP" and she looks great..big but not unhealthy looking? if you know what i mean?..i have never had a dog before..believe it or not..have lots of questions sometimes..glad you guys are here to answer stupid questions!(kind of like being a first time mom at 40!lol)

Old 06-15-2005, 07:38 AM

Boudreaux has been on adult maintnece diet his whole life. His diet is supplemented with a daily new vet vitamin. When the dog self feeds they do not just eat all day long. Yours might for the first day but then he will realize "ok its not going anywhere" then the just nibble throught the day ( 1 piece here ant there )and will have a harty eats in the evening after bussiness and in the morning when hw wakes. The daily vitiman has really been a good experience. Because of it Boo has never gotten the dangly gauky puppy look. He has had a consistant even growth. without the accelerated growth stimulants in puppy food. These dogs get big enough on their own and really don need the help like other breeds.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:40 AM

You say she gets three bowls a day - how many cups per bowl??

Are her poops large? How often does she poop?? There are better foods than Purina Puppy Chow.....you will spend more per bag, but feed much less to get the maximum nutritin out of the food, and you'll have much less POOP to clean up - less unnecessary garbage coming out of the dog.

Here is the ingredient list - I don't see much in terms of MEAT in there...

Puppy Chow Complete Nutrition Formula Ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), pearled barley, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, animal digest, salt, egg product, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc proteinate, choline chloride, DL-Methionine, vitamin supplements (E, A, B 12, D 3), manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), niacin, brewers dried yeast, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:37 AM

Question

Purina - Puppy Chow Large Breed Formula

Ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, pearled barley, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), beet pulp, animal digest, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, l-lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, dl-methionine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (A, E, B12, D3), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein: 27%
Fat: 10%
Fiber: 5%
Moisture: 12%

Other Nutrient Guarantees
Calcium: min 1.1%
Phosphorus: min 0.9%

No list of caloric content, probably around 200 cal/cup, and thats giving the benefit of the doubt. High protein content for puppy food, 27%. You would be desiring a slow growth formula. Many people on this board do not recommend puppy food, let alone one that is for large breed.

How much for a bag of this? I bet can find you a better food that will cost you the same to feed monthly, or actually SAVE you money and you'd be feeding your dog better.

I honestly believe foods like this are cancer causing to our dogs. THe way these foods are processesed, the source of thier ingredients.

43% of all statistics are worthless!

Old 06-15-2005, 06:45 PM

Yea you should get her off of purina puppy chow, not the healthiest food around.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:28 PM

i thought purina was a good company? iams is a little expensive...
what do you use? and how much does it cost?..the 30lb bag of purina is..$18.99

Old 06-15-2005, 07:46 PM

Check out the Costco food thread in this forum. You might want to try it, it is affordable and much better food than what you are feeding.

Just to comment on this, we NEVER wean our puppies onto puppy, they go immediately onto the adult food. We have done this for over 20 years with all our show dogs and everyone looks fine, is healthy and developes just fine without all the extra fat and protein contained in the puppy formulas.

Old 06-15-2005, 08:17 PM

Iams and Eukanuba both arent that great either, try Nutro its a really good food, think its about the price range as Eukanuba but you wont need too feed as much.

Old 06-15-2005, 10:22 PM

i give her about 3 cups of food in her bowl..3 times a day...no i don't think her poop is over large..normal i guess?don't really know what normal is for a dog her size..
some tell me to go to costco..don't know that place..we have a pet smart right in the town i work..what food should i get? my gram use to mix can food with the dry once a day..meat chunks with lamb and rice? but she raised boxers..don't know if there's a difference?

Old 06-15-2005, 10:27 PM

Depends on how much ur willing to spend, royal canin, canidae are good foods but pretty expensive id stick with nutro, its gonna cost more than what you were feeding, I bought a 40 lb bag for about $40.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:32 AM

Canidae is one food,from puppy to senior.But others 18 moths when there bones and head stops growing!

Old 06-16-2005, 12:50 AM

canidae is the brand name of the food?..i'll look to see if i can find!
and 18months? omg...i think i'm going to have a big one here!
i just don't want her to get fat! nothing worse than seeing a fat dog!
if i find it i'll check back and let you know! thanks!

Closed Thread