Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2004, 11:37 PM

When to switch to adult food?

When is the proper time to switch a puppy to an adult food? I've heard anywhere from 6 months (you don't want them growing too fast due to their hips) to 2 years (they're still growing, so still need puppy food). Forgive me for the terribly newbie-like question, but it's kind of confusing.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Valued Member

Re: When to switch to adult food?

There has been quite a few debates over this. Myself I did not feed puppy food when I had Guido as a pup. I believe at the time I was feeding the super 7 food from a premium food company I can't recall right now.. If you feed a all life stages food you would just feed according to the recomdations on the bag. With Roscoe The pet food shop had her on puppy food till 1.5 years which looking back might have been a little to long.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:53 PM

How old is your pup? If you are feeding a food like Candidae for example, I believe that is an all life stages dog food (it would not matter what age the dog is) what are you feeding now and how many cups?

Old 12-30-2004, 11:58 PM
Valued Member

When Guerin came to us, from his breeder he was on adult food, and we kept him on it.
Casey&Tedy Rescued Pugs

Lakina's Cosmic Force

Old 12-31-2004, 12:11 AM

Julius was on adult food from day one as well...

Old 12-31-2004, 12:12 AM

I switched mine from puppy food to adult food around 4 months. I've since learned that puppy food isn't necessary at all and to just feed the adult formula.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:15 AM

Our pup is 5 months old and 62 pounds. Right now we feed him 6 cups of Nutro Large Breed puppy food.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:19 AM

Oh, and my sister also has an adult Rottweiler and feeds him Flint River Ranch. Any thoughts on this food?

Old 12-31-2004, 07:46 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: When to switch to adult food?

For a 5 month old pup that seems like alot of weight. It could be that he is big boned or that he is gaining weight fast. Generally a 5 month old male pup would weigh about 50 lbs (more or less) at 5 months and gain about 10 lbs a month.

My pup is 9 month old now and weighs in at about 90lbs, his growth has slowed down. He has never eaten any puppy food. He came home from the breeders and has been on Canidae www.canidae.com an All-Life Stages food, along with some raw food too.
You could do much better then Nutro, there is alot of grain in this food and they do not use human grade ingredients in their products.
Get him on a better grade food and you will have to feed much less food, and much less will be coming out the other end too. I have never fed my pup more then 4 cups of food in total per day.

Canidae or Innova or any of the other super premium brands may cost more per bag, but they usually cost less per feeding.

You want your pup to grow slow and steady and avoid joint and liagament problems.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 12-31-2004, 08:10 AM

if you searched this you will find tons of info... myself i have fed every pup ive had nutro natural choice lb puppy my gsd's until twelve months and rotts until 16 months it does just as it says a slow controled growth rate and a few ingrediants and supplemants are differant..one of the main is calcium while adults need more a growing pup does not need the large amounts of calcium..you want a slim and trim pup for various health reasons dysplaysia is not one of those reasons it is simply an inherited trait.. but what ever you decide to feed the important thing is you feed your pup by how he looks and not just the quanity the bag says....but do a search and you will find more info then you can read in 2005

Old 12-31-2004, 01:03 PM

Tuck is definitely not overweight. He is slim, but very well proportioned. He has yet to reach the gangly stage, but he has always weighed more than other pups his age. He seems to do really well on the 6 cups, but I'm considering switching him to a higher quality food.

Old 12-31-2004, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucksmom
Oh, and my sister also has an adult Rottweiler and feeds him Flint River Ranch. Any thoughts on this food?
Bastian has been on flint river since we got him (at 8 weeks) adult formula. I think the food is fantastic and won't feed anything else unless medically necessary. I've heard that you feed less with flint river because it is richer, but since I haven't had him on anything else I can't say for sure. I will say that out of his litter, he's the only one on it and his coat is the shiniest and nicest of them all. Our vet, breeder and trainer all think he is incredibly healthy. It's also way convenient as it comes delivered to your home and can set it up on a schedule to just be automatically delivered. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2005, 07:07 AM

Logan has been on all life stages food from Kirkland since he was 4 months old. He too never hit a gangly stage, he is now 9 months. He had lost interest in the puppy food we were feeding him and wanted to eat what everyone else was getting anyway.
Logan DD RA HTADIs 2/3HS TT CGC TDI BH - 5 yrs rottweiler (NM)
Cain AD BH SCHI- 3 yrs rottweiler (M)
Raven - 17 mo rottweiler (F)

Old 01-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Valued Member

I feed a puppy forumla as long as the dog's framework is still being built. Dogs until about 18 months of age and bitches until about 12 months. I believe that the growth that must take place does best with nutrition that is designed to support that growth as opposed to maintainence.

Old 01-01-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi W
I feed a puppy forumla as long as the dog's framework is still being built. Dogs until about 18 months of age and bitches until about 12 months. I believe that the growth that must take place does best with nutrition that is designed to support that growth as opposed to maintainence.
thats exactly how i feed also and are my feelings... the new formulated puppy food is not the old puppy chow of the past and it really does perform as they state..the thought of switching to adult or feeding the adult maintanance formula's from the start was started basically by veterinarians and breeders that produced questionable hips in there lines back in the old puppy chow days as a attempt to keep the dog thin enough to minimize its already genetic defect...