Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2004, 10:05 PM

Food comparison questions

I know the whole topic of food is brought up on a regular basis here. I've searched the archives and am missing the info I am looking for. there are two local stores I buy dog food from. one carries canidae and the other store innova, healthwise and cal. nat. The two foods I like to feed are canidae and healthwise. the woman who has Hilda's "school" owns the store that sells healthwise and I do like to support her store. Healthwise has brown rice listed as 2nd ing. and I don't think contains probiotics. Canidae has meat meals as the 1st and 2nd ingredient and does have probiotics. Is Canidae a far superior food? if the first ing. is meat meal in both, but one can have more of the listed ing. right? and be equal foods? the dogs like both.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:15 PM

Re: food (sorry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiej
the woman who has Hilda's "school" owns the store that sells healthwise and I do like to support her store. .
She can order any food she wants to stock - explain this to her and give her a chance to stock what you want to feed.

I got my local groomer to stock Canidae - it is now their biggest selling premium food.
Gone Only From My Eyes - Forever in My Heart

Old 11-11-2004, 10:41 PM

I thought that if one store in town sold a food, no other store could sell it too. kind of like a franchise. If so, I will ask. right now they sell the innova line and the other store sells the canidae.

Old 11-12-2004, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I thought that if one store in town sold a food, no other store could sell it too. kind of like a franchise. If so, I will ask. right now they sell the innova line and the other store sells the canidae.
I think if that were the case you would see a lot of stores out of business. Not to mention the Innova and Canidae companies....Ask her if she can stock your brand, if not, buy what you like. Don't change the food your dog is doing well on for someone else's benefit.

Old 11-12-2004, 10:07 AM

they do well on both foods, I get a big bag of one then next time a big bag of the other. I was just wondering if one was superior based on the ingredients.

Old 11-12-2004, 10:10 AM

Quote:
they do well on both foods, I get a big bag of one then next time a big bag of the other. I was just wondering if one was superior based on the ingredients.
Oh, okay. Then if it were me I'd go with Canidae. I used to feed this but had to mail order it. My local store started carrying Natural Balance so I switched to that and am very happy with that switch.

Old 11-14-2004, 09:33 PM

Re: Food comparison questions

Canidae has a lot more meat in it than Healthwise. That would make it my choice.
@RB--Peaches, Dev, Jake, Cecil, Rocky, Delilah, & Homer

Old 11-14-2004, 10:07 PM

Natura (who makes Innova, Healthwise, California Natural, etc) only allows a single store to stock their product in a given area as far as I know (which is why I have to drive nearly 30 miles to get it). Healthwise is a good food, Canidae is a good food, whichever your dog does best on is the best choice, or rotate between different super premiums (which is what I do). I wouldn't choose a food based on probiotics or lack thereof, I don't think they're all that important.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:08 AM

I went in to get the Canidae and the owner suggested yet another food to consider. Healthfood for Dogs, by breeder's choice. she said she really liked it. so I thought I'd try a bag. It was on special, 35# for $24. the dogs love it, no gas no runs. They really don't have problems with any premium food.