Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2004, 08:08 PM

pumpkin to lose weight?

Have any of you ever personally tried using pumpkin to cut down weight in a dog? If so, how much do you feed per day of the pumpkin in relation to their dog food? Currently the dog is fed one cup per feeding, two feedings per day. Thanks for your input.
Papa Bear The Rottweiler (Rescue)
We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. -Immanuel Kant[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 10-10-2004, 09:36 PM

Re: pumpkin to lose weight?

hiyas,

I did a search on pumkin, the best details I saw where in this thread:

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/sho...ghlight=pumkin

basically, it firms the stool.

If the dog is overweight, why not just cut back on the food?

Others can answer in better detail than me, but in my personal experience:

I feed regular dog food, but then supplement with extras, like today, my 2 got 1 hamburger split between them - this was pure cooked ground beef as their extra. I count that in with their overall feeding- caloric in take. I also add sadrines, eggs, yogart and anything healthy I have on hand.

The best thing for loosing weight is diet & exercise. If the dog is already active ( daily walks, etc) then lower their caloric in take. They don't measure the food, you do. If they have special needs, see a vet and get them on weight management food.

Also, I feed a biscuit in morning, usually a snack if I'm home, it all counts against their evening meal. Both of mine are a healthy lean weight per their last vet visits - Max in August, Athena in Sept. Id' rather a lean dog, as 5 - 10 lbs overweight can easily lower their longevity.

As it is getting to be winter though, I did up their caloric intake a little bit, just to help keep off the cold. But, I check their 'blubber' and I plan on getting it off in the Spring. At most it was about a pound each. I did this consciously because we are set to have a really bad winter here.

Easiest way to loose dog weight, get rid of canned food and any 'table food' -empty calories - bread, etc.

Old 10-10-2004, 10:03 PM

I would hesitate to substitute pumpkin (at least not much) for dog food in an attempt at weight loss. Too much pumpkin can cause diarrhea. Better options would be green beans, peas, carrots. Better yet....just cut down the dog food and increase exercise.
and Co.

Old 10-10-2004, 11:04 PM

I went the green bean route and she loves them. I use the low sodium canned variety.

Old 10-11-2004, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Currently the dog is fed one cup per feeding, two feedings per day.
That's not much food for a full grown rottie. Do you feed him a high calorie food like Innova? Does he get a lot of treats? Maybe go to something lower in calories like Chicken Soup For The Dog Lovers Soul. It has 366Kcal/per cup.

Old 10-12-2004, 12:11 AM
100 yr old Valued Member

Pumpkin is good for the digestion... if your dog is loose, it'll firm it up... if your dog isn't 'putting out', it'll help things along... I've never heard of it as a weight management tool.

More exercise would likely take the weight off the dog. If your dog is out of shape, take it slowly and build up. 2 cups of food per day is minimal for a large dog, so exercise will likely help.

What has your vet said about a diet/exercise regimine? How overweight is your dog?

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

Old 10-12-2004, 12:50 AM
Valued Member

I suspect that pumpkin in this sense is meant to act as filler to make the dog feel less hungry. Since it's fibre, it's useful for this (same as green beans) as well as bowel issues.

As to two cups a day being "not much food", remember that all dogs are different - depending on the food and the amount of exercise, and in the absence of medical issues, the "right" amount is the amount that keeps the dog at a healthy weight, not the amount that other dogs of that breed/size eat.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:02 PM

I feed "Bear" 4 cups of kibble a day, two different feedings. With the occasional soup bone maybe twice a month. Does this sound sufficient?
He seems very energetic and healthy.
He gets a walk everyday, and runs in the backyard.

(9.5 months, 87 pounds)

C.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman
I feed "Bear" 4 cups of kibble a day, two different feedings. With the occasional soup bone maybe twice a month. Does this sound sufficient?
He seems very energetic and healthy.
He gets a walk everyday, and runs in the backyard.

(9.5 months, 87 pounds)

C.
If you can feel his ribs easily (if he looks close to the "ideal" on this chart) and he has energy, then he's eating the right amount.

Not to sound like a broken record, but the right amount is the right amount for your dog, not what someone else feeds, not what it says on the bag, and not what other dogs of your breed eats. My sister's 85lb Irish Setter eats twice as much as more than one much larger dog I know, including other Irish Setters, my 27lb Vallhund eats almost twice as much as a friend's 35lb Vallhund - you cannot judge the right amount to feed your dog by how much other dogs eat in any way other than a very vague guideline. We hear all the time of people whose dogs are over/underweight because they follow the food bag's guidelines or other people's guidelines ("Rottweilers should eat 6 cups a day") rather than what their own dog's body condition is telling them. Learn what a dog of your breed in good condition should look like, and compare your dog to that, and adjust the food accordingly, your dog's condition is the ONLY thing that should be used to determine how much to feed (in the absence of medical issues), in my opinion. Okay, rant over!

Old 10-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Valued Member

Just for another example, both of my dogs are fed 1 cup of Natural Balance twice daily with a large spoonful of canned mixed in. Breakfast includes a large spoonful of yogurt. Dinner includes an added protein (1 raw egg, 1/2 can tuna, 1/2 can of sardines) 4-5 days a week alternating with about 1/3 can green beans or peas added 2-3 days a week. They get healthy training treats 2-3 times throughout the day, Rocco more so than Perle because I train more with him. Exercise is 1-3 miles per day each dog. Rocco weighs 98 pounds and Perle is 82. Both are fit and lean.

As others have said, dogs vary in the amounts they need. Less is needed when using premium kibble. Exercise is a large determining factor.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman
but after reading about patty1231's raw feeding's makes me wonder. Do you know any good articles i could read on raw feedings?
What I add to my kibble is far from raw feeding. Do a search here as this subject has been discussed many times and should provide you with helpful information. I do not feed raw because I don't have a freezer to buy in bulk nor do I care to do the research necessary to feed this way properly. I'm very happy with kibble feeding with some additions.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the input. Actually this is not for my dog - it's for a friend of mine. I, too, believe that diet and exercise are the main keys to keeping a good weight. I know with my own dogs, I usually just back down the portions I feed and increase their exercise. It has always worked for me. I just have heard of people saying to use "pumpkin" to help the dog loose weight fast, and I wondered what all of you thought about it.
On another side note, I actually feed my Rott Papa Bear 1 cup two times per day. That works well for him and plus he gets at least a two-mile walk every day plus training time. He only weighs 90 pounds, which is a little lower than what I think a male should approx. be. But every dog is an individual and the "rib test" is what I go by. Papa is more than fine with what he gets, plus I do use food as a big training motivator with him - but he has aggression issues, and food is my best friend in helping that. Thanks again!
Papa Bear The Rottweiler (Rescue)
We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. -Immanuel Kant[/SIZE][/FONT]