Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2004, 10:38 PM

Re: should bully sticks have an odor?

All the ones I've gotten just smell smoked. They are pulled (stretched, this is why they are so loonnngg and skinny) dried and smoked. They've never smelled like a slaughterhouse. Ewww. They are very ooey after having been chewed, but in my experience, the more chewed, the less smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicka
I had gotten some bully sticks off an auction on ebay and boy do these smell! I'm wondering if this is normal..I've gotten others that have a slight odor, and others that have none but I've heard some are bleached and others not..
and Co.

Old 10-02-2004, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty1231
All things being equal in regards to chewability and digestibility, I would prefer the ones that don't smell. After all, I won't be giving them for nutritional benefit. Just to keep the little dears busy doing something they love to do.
Yes, all things being equal, I would ABSOLUTELY go for the "no smell" variety. I work hard at keeping my house clean and as odor free as possible.

Old 10-02-2004, 07:57 PM

Question Re: should bully sticks have an odor?

I bought a pack of bully sticks once... the manufacturer was CADET the ingredients listed was Steer Pizzle translation: Ox Penis... lovely.... but the worst part was the smell. Beyond my wildest imagination.... nothing like poop at all. More like rotting flesh....NEVER AGAIN.

I just saw a packet of CADET's Ox Penis's the other day at a pet store. A 4 pack of 6 inchers sells for about $3.50....product of Brazil distributed by IMS Pet Industries in New Jersey. They do include a warning on the packaging: Not for human consumption! Be warned

Karlan
Luna 6 yr old Rottie
Coco - Rainbow Bridge

Old 10-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Valued Member

When I was describing them coming from the slaughterhouse floor, I did not mean that the floor was what they smelled like. It is the contamination. I'm sure they are cleaned off, but doubt that many of them are thoroughly sterilized.

Old 10-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Novice Member

Gloves off......Bullysticks are just plain GROSS and likely loaded with contamination......I wonder what the fascination is ??????and I don't think it's the dogs that are fascinated.

Old 10-02-2004, 10:15 PM

We have a slaughterhouse here so I can get them well fresh shall I say. They offer bones of the cows I am just wondering how safe it is.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemypuppy
I wonder what the fascination is ??????and I don't think it's the dogs that are fascinated.
Are you serious with a comment like that? Get a grip. Dogs love to chew. We're considering alternatives to rawhide, something digestible. They can't have marrow bones every day.

Anyway, I got my bully sticks in the mail yesterday and the dogs loved them. I ordered them from a company that said they didn't smell but they did have an odor. It didn't take over the house but you could smell them as long as they were actively chewing on them and the odor was gone when the stick was gone. No lingering smell, no stains. Smelled more like a very heavy rawhide smell but I could see where you'd get the "cow maneur" thing.

I got the super thick ones and it lasted Rocco about an hour, and Perle about two and a half.

Old 10-03-2004, 03:03 PM

There is no doubt that the dogs love them!

Karlan
Luna 6 yr old Rottie
Coco - Rainbow Bridge

Old 10-03-2004, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemypuppy
......I wonder what the fascination is ??????and I don't think it's the dogs that are fascinated.
hmmm..then perhaps you should come over and see all 3 of my dog's reactions when I dole out bully sticks. They go absolutely bonkers over them and are quite for at least an hour chewing away..

Old 10-03-2004, 10:26 PM

well lets see here i am confused everyone is looking for a alternative to rawhides because of the slight chance that one might swell up and cause a blockage.. but are willing to give there dogs some differant skin from a bull that has been described as smelling from smoked/ to cow manure/ to rotting flesh hm doesnt make sense to me