Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2004, 09:47 AM

What you CAN and CANNOT feed your dog?

I dunno if this topic is allready here,but the "table food" topic here had me thinking...about what you can and cannot feed your dog. I saw where somone mentioned anything that was spicey or had spices in it, and corn on the cob. Meat and other veggies I supose are okay? Wanted to ask about stuff like, bologna,hotdogs,cheese..well actually my list is too long. Are there many people food items that wont make your doggy "run" as well? Thanks

Old 08-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Novice Member

Re: What you CAN and CANNOT feed your dog?

I've read that onions are bad. Something about the chemical reaction in the blood makes them anemic. I will find a link and post it for you.

Onions are bad!

Last edited by ladycricket; 08-12-2004 at 10:49 AM. Reason: found link

Old 08-12-2004, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie
I dunno if this topic is allready here,but the "table food" topic here had me thinking...about what you can and cannot feed your dog.
Yep! you can do a search and there are alot of threads on here about what you can and cannot feed your dog.

Quote:
I saw where somone mentioned anything that was spicey or had spices in it, and corn on the cob. Meat and other veggies I supose are okay? Wanted to ask about stuff like, bologna,hotdogs,cheese..well actually my list is too long. Are there many people food items that wont make your doggy "run" as well? Thanks
I wouldn't give my dog spicey food. And definately not corn on the cob.I do give her other meat and vegetables, but I also make it low salt content. Anything like bologna or other processed meats I don't give to Squeak because they are very high in salts. Cheese, well can't take away cheese lol. Of course the brick cheese is much better then the sliced, but Squeak will get some of both the odd time and cottage cheese too!

Old 08-12-2004, 11:03 AM

when you say veggies, are peas, green beans,carrots okay? I would like to know if rice is okay for dogs too, my family says it not, other people say its okay?

Old 08-12-2004, 11:18 AM

I just discovered this post a couple of days ago. It's about veggies/fruits, http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/nutrition-grooming/26462-feeding-veggies.html

also, check out bowchow.com too. Both are very informative

Old 08-12-2004, 11:38 AM

Onions cause Heinz body anemia in dogs and cats. Cats are much more sensitive, but enough onions can also cause serious issues or death in dogs.

http://mmpinschersminiature.homestea...NG_Onions2.htm

Other things I don't give dogs are: cooked bones, corn cobs, cooked fat (such as fat trimmings off of your plate, chicken skin, etc), chocolate, alcohol. I keep the cruficerous veggies to a minimum as well, since they can suppress thyroid function in dogs. (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy to name a few)

Old 08-12-2004, 12:03 PM

Quote:
when you say veggies, are peas, green beans,carrots okay? I would like to know if rice is okay for dogs too, my family says it not, other people say its okay?

I try to stay away from the starchier vegetables such as peas and carrots. I don't use peas at all, but carrots occasionally.

Rice would be good on occasion, but I would not feed it to my dogs on a regular basis. If I DID use it, I'd only feed brown rice.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:21 PM

Carrots are great, especially frozen (and especially for teething pups).

Wookie gets a little of everything. She LOVES rice and pasta, so when we eat them, she gets a little bit in her dinner (she has no weight problems, in fact I would like her to gain a little weight). A good thing to remember is that most things are OK in MODERATION.

Some no-nos I know of:
Chocolate
Onions (and garlic although I know some people use it as a natual flea repelant)
Macadamia Nuts
Caffine in anything
Grapes and Rasins
Green parts of potatos

Wookie-Rott (mix?) girl
born January 2003

Old 08-12-2004, 12:48 PM

Garlic is fine, onions are not.

Also add to the list xylitol-a sweetener found in some sugar-free chewing gum, candies and other products. It can potentially cause serious, even life-threatening problems.

No avocados either.

Here's a list from the ASPCA Poision Control Center

Also a list of toxic plants.
Vegas 11/92-1/04

Old 08-12-2004, 01:07 PM

Well everything I've read has led me to believe that since onions and garlic are in the same family and garlic does conatain thiosulphate (which is the toxic chemical in onions) that they are toxic. If you want to believe differently that is your business, however I just thought I should mention the fact that they could be considered toxic. I'm certainly not feeding Wookie any garlic, just to be on the safe side...there are plenty of other yummy things she can eat with no possibility of poisoning.

Wookie-Rott (mix?) girl
born January 2003

Old 08-12-2004, 01:47 PM

Garlic is excellent in dogs when used with reason. Most raw feeders feed garlic.

No more than an amount equaling one clove per day, in most cases.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:40 PM

Check out this thread:

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/nutrition-grooming/34017-human-foods-toxic-your-pets.html

Brooke

Old 08-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Valued Member

My girls have weight issues, so green beans are a regular part of their diet.

When I was in Germany, I had a collie that had garlic powder on her food daily all summer long. It kept the tick problem down and there are LOTS of ticks in the woods in Germany.

Chase - Forever in my heart
Sky Valley's Mythic Dreamer aka Stark

Old 08-13-2004, 02:46 PM

Some no-nos I know of:
Chocolate
Onions (and garlic although I know some people use it as a natual flea repelant)
Macadamia Nuts
Caffine in anything
Grapes and Rasins
Green parts of potatos[/QUOTE]

I undersatand the other things here, but why grapes and rasins. Are they toxic, or is a choking issue? Just curious cause our dogs LOVE grapes.

Raelin "daddy's little girl" DOB Nov 15th, 2003

Koen found his way to us Dec 20th 2007.

Old 08-13-2004, 02:56 PM

Grapes and raisins have been indicated in serious health issues in some dogs, if I am not mistaken. They ARE a hazard and should not be on your dog's treat list.