Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2004, 12:25 PM

Recipe with activated charcoal

I came across a recipe for "fresh breath" dog biscuits and I'm stumped by one of the ingredients. It says to use a teaspoon of activated charcoal. Is this the same stuff used in fish tank filters?

If anyone has any other suggestions, sources or alternatives for the activated charcoal please let me know. If it's the charcoal used in aquarium filters is it safe for dogs?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Old 07-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Valued Member

Re: Recipe with activated charcoal

I don't know about making your own biscuits with charcoal but I do know Mother Hubbard sells a brand for the breath with charcoal as an ingredient. Someone questioned on this forum before the possibility of charcoal being a carcinogen. I've given my dogs these biscuits before as part of a bulk purchase but I add very few of them and only on occasion - not because of the carcinogen fear but because they just don't have bad breath. I have no idea where you could purchase food grade activated charcoal - I'd move on to another recipe.

Old 07-10-2004, 11:10 PM

I am not exactly sure what activated charcoal is. I'm sure that some of the others may be able to tell you. But I'm pretty sure that it is something that you can get from the vet. Last year my mule got into our supplements and had a feast and in order to keep him from foundering, the vet came and pumped his stomach with activated charcoal and something else basically to induce his bowels to moves so the supplements would quickly move through his body and so that he wouldn't absorb very much of it. I don't know whether or not this would be something that would be healthy for your dog to eat?????

Andrea

Old 07-10-2004, 11:35 PM

Here's a source for activated charcoal powder. It's a bit pricey though.

http://www.kalyx.com/store/proddetai...740.0/file.htm

Old 07-11-2004, 11:36 AM

Sounded rather unusual so I did a google on it. Interesting article that came up:

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...25,832,00.html
http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz...activated.html

Seems to be associated with chocolate poisioning in dogs too (to help prevent absorption that is) as well as grape and raisin ingestion?:
http://www.thedachshundnetwork.com/foodtox.htm
http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/dechoc.html
http://www.vetinfo.com/doginfo.html

[SIZE=1]Well behaved women never make history.[/SIZE]

Old 07-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Valued Member

It has been used in poisoning to absorb toxins, but I can't think of any sensible reason to use it as a normal ingredient in a food product.

Old 07-11-2004, 12:07 PM

I would be afraid to use the activated charcoal! Maybe you could omit that ingredient and still make the recipe?

Old 07-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Valued Member

Also, keep in mind that activated charcoal is non-discriminatory. That means that along with toxins, it will also bind healthful molecules, such as vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. Unless there is a physiological need for it, I can't see any benefit to utilizing it as a "dietary supplement".

Here's a short article on how activated charcoal works:
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/11575-2.asp

Old 07-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Valued Member

Nor can I. It has a medical purpose, not a nutritional purpose. There are many recipes for dog cookies for those inclined to bake with good ingredients. Use one of them.

Old 07-11-2004, 06:27 PM

Thank you all very much for the replies....i threw the charcoal out i made the recipe without it and the cookies came out great!! They were nice and colorful...i put parsley and mint and carrots..in them. I have been baking dog cookies, biscuits, and cupcakes to raise money for my neighbor's 11 month old rotti that has cancer...and she needs to raise 7000.00 for his radiation. I have found quite a few recipes and then ran across the one that used activated charcoal, and since im always looking for new recipes, i went and bought the charcoal...but then was having second thoughts about giving it to dogs...so thanks to Vivianne she suggested...why don't you ask the forum , and once again you guys helped me out...thanks again!

Old 07-11-2004, 11:38 PM

The charcoal is the odor eliminator. Works like Baking Soda in the fridge. Sucks up odors instead of masking them.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:20 PM

A friend of mine has a lab and as a puppy he ate everything in site. He ate a pack of smokes one day so they brought him to the vet. I am not sure what they did to treat him at the vet, but they did suggest charcoal biscuits to settle his stomach. I bought a bag my self and when any of our dogs are a little off, I give them one or two and it helps to settle them out.
I dont think it is a cure to anything, I would bring them to a vet if the symptoms are serious. It just for those occasions when they are feeling a little off.

Raelin "daddy's little girl" DOB Nov 15th, 2003

Koen found his way to us Dec 20th 2007.