Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2004, 12:02 PM

Dogs eating flies?

Is it okay to let your dog catch and eat a fly or two every now and again? It's really gross to me, but he's better and catching them in the house than I am. Being the dirty little creatures they are, Hercules won't get sick from it will he?

Do you think I should discourage this? I was thinking that come summer if a bee is buzzing around him and he tries to eat it, he might get stung in the mouth. That could be dangerous couldn't it?

[SIZE=1]Well behaved women never make history.[/SIZE]

Old 06-02-2004, 12:11 PM

Re: Dogs eating flies?

I don't know for sure about flies but I kinda doubt it would be a problem. Given the stuff Rocco has managed to put in his mouth on our walks (less so now than in the past, but still..) I would think something would have come up by now but it hasn't. I would imagine a bee could be a problem and a sting would need checked by a vet. Unless they are allergic I would imagine just some localized swelling.

My two are an embarrassment to the "fearsome Rottweiler" stigma. Rocco chases flower petals blowing down the street and Perle chases butterflies.

Old 06-02-2004, 12:18 PM

My Rhodesdian Ridgeback used to eat wasps and bees all the time. The first time he did it his lip looked like it had a golf ball hanging from it, it was so swollen. After a few years he continued eating them but never got the swelling from being stung again. He really had a hate on for those insects.

Old 06-02-2004, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty1231
I don't know for sure about flies but I kinda doubt it would be a problem. Given the stuff Rocco has managed to put in his mouth on our walks (less so now than in the past, but still..) I would think something would have come up by now but it hasn't. I would imagine a bee could be a problem and a sting would need checked by a vet. Unless they are allergic I would imagine just some localized swelling.

My two are an embarrassment to the "fearsome Rottweiler" stigma. Rocco chases flower petals blowing down the street and Perle chases butterflies.

LOL! Cyrus chases the flower petals too! The squirrells, skunks and opossums have nothing to fear as long as there are dangerous, deadly flower petals around.

Cyrus spent Saturday and Sunday afternoon hanging outside with me and I all I heard was "snap... snap...snapsnapsnap". I don't even want to think about how many bugs he snapped up.

He seems absolutely fine!

Cyrus CGC, adopted 3/27/04 -May 21, 2009. Forever in my heart.

Lady Harriett, Pitmix Princess

James, Alpha-Cat

Nichevo, Scratch and Babe, playing at the bridge, I miss you

Old 06-02-2004, 12:22 PM

I don't think it will harm him. Here in SC we have these huge bumble bees on steroids that like to drill into wood. They think our porch is yummy. Anyways, Jager will spend hours jumping up and trying to eat the bumble bees. He has yet to catch one, I think. But the bees seem to buzz around him and tease him like crazy!

At the Bridge waiting:
^Dixie^ GSD/Rott Rescue 4/11/05
^Sampson^ Rottie 03/06/06
^Princess^ Rottie 10/9/96 - 05/01/06

Old 06-02-2004, 12:38 PM

HAHA!! I though Harley was going nuts , she was bouncing around on her hind legs snapping at the air, I had no idea what she was doing! I finally saw the fly she was chasing, it was just too funny! I tried taking some pics but she just moves so fast I can't get a good action shot. She's merciless too she won't stop until she's got them all. I now have to replace several screens from all the puncture wounds they've recieved from her trapping the flies in the window. She's the first one of mine I 've seen do this.

P.S. It's just a little extra protein in their diet, right? If they can eat cat poo and not get sick what's a few flies?

Harley (5y/o rescue Rotty)
Rory, Sheena and Thor waiting on the otherside

Old 06-02-2004, 12:43 PM

Flies are known to be the dirtiest of bugs, hence the poop they like to lure around, and they eat with thier feet, I think. I don't think theres much you can do about that, if he's wanting to catch them, he's going to try. One thing for sure, if he ever does get a bee, he'll never try that one again! Just think of it as extra protein.

Old 06-02-2004, 02:05 PM

Julius will occasionally catch the random fly or ant & it's not a big deal. He munches on them when he is able to catch them.

Now worms on the other hand....he would eat as many as you let him. They're a delicacy for Jules. Wouldn't want to see what he'd do with slugs.... Ugh!

I really wouldn't worry about it....

Brooke

Old 06-02-2004, 02:24 PM

Athena tries to get them, I have yet to see her catch one.

My late Carrien Terrier, Scruffy, used to catch them really good! Never upset his tummy, but I think he had a strong stomach anyway.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:55 AM

Okay, let me weigh in on this one...if it helps, I am a physiologist/entomologist by training, and I would say that there's absolutely nothing in flies that can cause real problems to a dog.

In fact, there's nothing in flies that can cause real problems to humans, as many of you have probably proved riding bicycles and/or driving with the top down!

I know, I know, they seem to be horrible little creatures, but they're just an assemblage of muscles and organs in a wee shell. It's true that some flies can carry disease, but for the most part, they would need to walk around on an open wound to spread it, so swallowing them into the acid-pit probably spares everybody else that. On the other hand, most flies are really really clean. They spend up to 8 hours a day grooming themselves and their surfaces are much cleaner than ours!

My partner's Toby can sure catch flies, he'll sit all hunkered down and all the sudden shoot out his neck and big head and >SNAP< another one bites the dust. He's earned the nickname "Toady" by doing that.

And he's a lot more accurate than me with the fly-swatter!

Old 06-10-2004, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilard
I don't think it will harm him. Here in SC we have these huge bumble bees on steroids that like to drill into wood. They think our porch is yummy. Anyways, Jager will spend hours jumping up and trying to eat the bumble bees. He has yet to catch one, I think. But the bees seem to buzz around him and tease him like crazy!
The correct name is called Carpenter Bee's, think about getting an exterminator in treating the infestation, they can do structual damage to your wood over time.

Rottweilers tend to eat alot of things they are not suppose too. My former Rottie use to like to eat poop, she would eat lots of it. I once caught her eating poop as it was coming out of my other Rotties butt.

The vet suggested using a meat tenderizer in her food so it would discourage her from eating more poop, well that didn't work and she continued to eat poop.

I use to tell people, yea, she is a great dog, she even cleans up after herself and the other dog.

Old 06-10-2004, 07:57 AM

Chivas used to LOVE to eat flies!! And she was quick in catching them. I figured it was some extra protein and not too worry!!
Baby (the kitten who came to me on the first anniversary of Chiva's passing); loves to eat flies too!!! I really think Chivas sent him to me, he has so many of her habits!
Kim

Old 06-10-2004, 02:04 PM

Liesel eats flys, lightning bugs, and specializes in dried worms found on the brick walk. So far none of them seem to bother her. She does try for the Carpenter bees but hasn't been successful on that species. From what I've read, the male carpenter bees do not sting, but the females can pack a wallop of a sting. I don't know how to differentiate them.

Old 06-10-2004, 02:24 PM

Athena tried to eat a small spider the other day. It must have bite her tongue because she spat it out fast enough!

Non-poisonious, she's doing fine. the stinker.

Old 06-10-2004, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilard
oh my goodness, that sounds just like at our house. i've often wondered if those huge bees tease maverick "just for the fun of it."

he likes to chase the flies to. i think it's quite humorous to watch! :)