Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2004, 12:28 PM

FOOD and VITAMINS

I have an 5 month old Rottie male. What would be a good food for him? And does anyone give there dogs vitamins. A friend of mine gives their mastiff a bunch of vitamins and he is the same age.

Old 05-31-2004, 03:00 PM

Re: FOOD and VITAMINS

If you provide a premium quality dog food no supplements should be needed other than those recommended for specific ailments. Assuming your puppy is healthy, Ester-C is a widely used supplement along with Vitamin E and fish oil for healthy coats. Do a search on food here as it has been discussed many times. I am currently feeding Natural Balance, prior to which I used Canidae. California Natural also appears to be well respected, among others.

Old 05-31-2004, 03:01 PM

Check out this link which tells the top dog foods as rated by the Whole Dog Journal..

http://www.simplyschnauzer.net/wdjtopten.html

Old 05-31-2004, 03:26 PM

i use california natural for one dog and canidae for the other.. i have equally good results with both dogs health and coat wise i would just feed a good food and not supplemant at all unless a situation warrants it to much of a good thing is not a good thing...

Old 05-31-2004, 03:27 PM

I think supplementing is as individual a decision as how or what we feed is. It's probably not necessary for a healthy dog, however, I supplement to cover any possible nutrient gaps in the raw diet I feed. I also supplement my own diet.
Best wishes -
kathy