Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2004, 11:32 AM

listerine...not just for fresh breath

my trainer is also a dog groomer and has been doing both for over 20 years. she gave me a tip a couple weeks ago for freshing up your dog's coat between baths. since i had to try last night and found how great it works, i thought i'd share....

while at class last night, maverick expressed his anal glands while doing the long down. it was the most disgusting thing i think i've ever smelled. of course, it was on his fur and i had to drive home 30 minutes with him stinkin' up my explorer. thank goodness we have one of those rubber mats in the back so i can just hose it off. anyway, when i got home, i realized i didn't have any minute groom left and was not thrilled about having to give him a bath (it was 10 pm and i don't bathe him in the house anyway). so he was about to spend the night in his crate in the garage, that is, until i remembered the trainer's grooming tip ... take listerine (any flavor will do..we have the orange) and dilute it with water. spray it on and wipe it off. the trainer said the same stuff that kills the odor causing bateria in your mouth will work on the dog's coat. i was skeptical at first but after using it last night, i'm a believer. no stinky smell and he doesn't smell like orange listerine either. i'll never buy that minute groom again. :)

Old 03-25-2004, 11:36 AM

Re: listerine...not just for fresh breath

How much Listerine to how much water? The only thing I might be concerned about is the alcohol content drying the skin and coat out. I suppose the water dilution takes care of that.

I have a very smelly dog at home I can use this for though! :)

Old 03-25-2004, 11:47 AM

i can't remember how much she said to use.. maybe 3 parts water 1 part listerine?? you know, not that i think about it, i don't think she said... anyway, since maverick was rather stinky, i probably used a little less water.

as far as the alcohol drying out the skin, i didn't think about that. hmmm...i suppose if you're not dousing (sp?) them with it AND you're not using it all the time maybe it wouldn't be a problem? plus, you're not using it full strength. i'll have to ask her next week.

Old 03-25-2004, 02:00 PM

I've always been told to use listerine to treat spring itch or tail itch (if it's not parasite related, obviously) for the horses. I've never had to, but I know plenty who have. Seems to work pretty well for that, too.

Old 03-25-2004, 03:22 PM

Actually I think Judy had a post recommending this sometime back. In Jan or Feb???

"Guts wins more games than ability"
Bob Zuppke

Old 03-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Valued Member

We've used Listerine for years on our show dogs. If your dog danders due to stress (like at a show), put one cup Listerine in a quart of water, take a washcloth, soak it in the mixture and rub your dog down well. You need to rub them until they are really damp (wet) with the mixture. Then brush them out and leave it in their coat. Listerine will put a sheen on their coat like you can't imagine and it really helps to cut down on the dander as well. It works as a conditioner.

For normal grooming, I would use 1/4 cup in a regular spray bottle and spray it on them. Wipe them down and they will be so much fresher.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:47 AM

Thanks Sharon:D does it work on horse Poop?? I actually love the way Jasmine smells. I am always sniffing her on that little spot just back of her eye.:) My husband thinks I'm nuts.

"Guts wins more games than ability"
Bob Zuppke

Old 03-26-2004, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Marples
We've used Listerine for years on our show dogs. If your dog danders due to stress (like at a show), put one cup Listerine in a quart of water, take a washcloth, soak it in the mixture and rub your dog down well. You need to rub them until they are really damp (wet) with the mixture. Then brush them out and leave it in their coat. Listerine will put a sheen on their coat like you can't imagine and it really helps to cut down on the dander as well. It works as a conditioner.

For normal grooming, I would use 1/4 cup in a regular spray bottle and spray it on them. Wipe them down and they will be so much fresher.
i'm surprized it works like a conditioner because of the alcohol. oh well, i'm a believer just the same! i'm still amazed how quickly it took the smell out of maverick's coat the other night. and it's so much cheaper than using that minute groom! :)

Old 03-26-2004, 10:53 AM

Quote:
WOW...thanks Sharon!!! One quick question on the above...by 1/4 cup do you mean 1/4 cup listerine in the spray bottle and top the rest off with water? Or straight 1/4 cup listerine and apply directly? Or were you talking about 1/4 cup of the 1 cup/1 quart mixture from above?

I have a very stinky dog (likes to roll) who can ebefit from this!

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2004, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Fantastic! Harley doesn't smell (at least not to me :D ) but she has been having a lot of dander. Because of the weather changing? I had a lady tell me to give her a tab of benedryl for this but I was kind of leary about trying that. Any opinions?

Harley (5y/o rescue Rotty)
Rory, Sheena and Thor waiting on the otherside

Old 03-26-2004, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw_2112
Fantastic! Harley doesn't smell (at least not to me :D ) but she has been having a lot of dander. Because of the weather changing? I had a lady tell me to give her a tab of benedryl for this but I was kind of leary about trying that. Any opinions?
i dont know why benadryl would help the dander but ive discussed benadryl with my vet and she told me that it is safe to use on our dogs for allergy reasons use the adult recomended dosage but instead of every 4 hours like the box says for people use it twice daily... this is a good thing to know especially with bee season coming up

Old 03-26-2004, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharon Marples
Listerine will put a sheen on their coat like you can't imagine and it really helps to cut down on the dander as well. It works as a conditioner.

Thanks, Sharon!! This information that listerine is also good for a dander problem will be helpful for Tiny!!

Old 03-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Valued Member

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try this.

Old 03-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Valued Member

We pour about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of listerine into a spray bottle and top it off with water. This can be used for normal grooming or just whenever your dog needs a bit of freshening up.

Old 03-27-2004, 11:37 AM

I'll be adding that to my grocery list! :D Who would have ever thought of that?! Thanks for passing the tip along.