Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2004, 02:06 PM

How long is too long with nails?

My husband and I dremmel Duce's nails - We know it is time to cut his nails when they make noise on our tile/hardwood floors. we were at the vet's office for a checkup and we asked him to cut his nails - (why not we were there anyway) - but the vet said his nails were fine and he thought the quick was close and said we should wait. when should you cut their nails? dremmel vs nail clippers

Old 03-16-2004, 02:58 PM

Re: How long is too long with nails?

I never cut nails. Once a week I use the dremmel and grind them back. There have been times that I've done them every other week but I prefer to stay in a weekly routine.

Old 03-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Valued Member

I take the tips off the front nails every week, the back nails wear by themselves, but I check them every week (haven't started Dremelling yet). The quicks will usually move back if you keep the nails short. I don't think it's a good idea to wait until they're long enough to click on the floor, myself, I think doing it regularly is preferable (not least because nails long enough to touch the floor are often long enough to affect the way the foot sits on the floor). If you keep taking the ends off, you'll gradually move the quicks back and eventually get the nails much shorter than if you wait until they're long before cutting them.

Old 03-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Judy Chrusch

Jo, I do what Amanda does as far as taking the tips back each week or every other and as you know, we do nails often not just bc they could use it but for behavior reasons as well. If Ducey is giving you a bit of attitude then by all means do them weekly :) . How is your sweet boy doing?

Judy

Old 03-16-2004, 03:54 PM

he is fine, but we had to buy him a muzzle - for dremmeling. he can be such a pain - i just wanted to know how long a nail should or shouldn't be

Old 03-16-2004, 04:13 PM

Rottweiler nails are supposed to be worn short. From the AKC Standard:

Forequarters
Shoulder blade is long and well laid back. Upper arm equal in length to shoulder blade, set so elbows are well under body. Distance from withers to elbow and elbow to ground is equal. Legs are strongly developed with straight, heavy bone, not set close together. Pasterns are strong, springy and almost perpendicular to the ground. Feet are round, compact with well arched toes, turning neither in nor out. Pads are thick and hard. Nails short, strong and black. Dewclaws may be removed.

From the FCI Standard:
Feet: Round, tight and well arched; pads hard; nails short, black and strong.

Here is a link from the ARC site as to how to properly trim your Rottweiler's Nails
http://www.amrottclub.org/nails.htm

Here is a picture to show you proper length:

HTH!

Old 03-17-2004, 02:34 PM

thank you for the picture!!!!

Old 03-17-2004, 02:42 PM

I am glad it helped! :) There is a whole long article on my web site that shows you step by step how to dremel nails from start to finish. :) I always liked picture books! :D

Old 03-17-2004, 02:57 PM

were on your web site is this article on nails?

Old 03-18-2004, 01:11 PM

samanthac, thanks for the pic and article - very helpful!
my rott still has his dew claws in the back. i read on rott.net before that that is not normal but it's not worth it to have them removed. (we adopted him 7 months ago from rescue - he's 2 now) anyhow, i try to keep his nails back and working on them getting shorter. i don't think they are a problem or anything, but the back dew claw, should i be worried about them or just keep an eye on them and keep them cut back?
Papa Bear The Rottweiler (Rescue)
We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. -Immanuel Kant[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 03-18-2004, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUCE
were on your web site is this article on nails?
Its in the Rottweiler Education Center in articles and should be under General Care.

Old 03-18-2004, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa bear's mom
samanthac, thanks for the pic and article - very helpful!
my rott still has his dew claws in the back. i read on rott.net before that that is not normal but it's not worth it to have them removed. (we adopted him 7 months ago from rescue - he's 2 now) anyhow, i try to keep his nails back and working on them getting shorter. i don't think they are a problem or anything, but the back dew claw, should i be worried about them or just keep an eye on them and keep them cut back?
You are welcome. The only reason dews are a pain is that they tend to get caught on things. Just try to keep them short and cared for, but be aware that they can and often do rip them. Its will bleed lots like any other nail, but heel back to normal.

Old 03-18-2004, 04:19 PM

Thank you Samanthac! I printed that out! :) good info & will definitely help me trim the dogs nails. <-- my pet project this weekend!