Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2002, 07:52 PM

Feeding Raw Pork Neck Bones...

I also have a question about feeding RAW pork neck bones, do those of you who feed RAW, feed pork neck bones, and if so are the bones in the neck bones any more dangerous than the bones in chicken wings etc?

My butcher gave me some pork necks today and as I was bagging them the bones seemed sharper.. and I am feeling a little hesitant about their safety...

Amber - 4 year old female rottie (adopted)
Jade - 2.5 year old female rottie (adopted)
2 parakeets

rescue group- www.tails-of-hope.org

Old 09-06-2002, 07:56 PM

I feed raw pork neck bones on occasion. My guys love them and I don't find them a problem. They are just hard to find in my area.

A/C CH Darlburgs Fatal Attraction CD RE HSAs CX TT
GCH Darrlburgs Something Special V Ikier CD RE CX TT
CH Lucky CDX TT CGC 01/17/94 - 05/17/07
CH Moe CD RE TT CGC 11/18/99 - 02/18/08

Old 09-06-2002, 08:16 PM

This is a very hard o find item in my area, but based on what I have read there should be no promlems feeding raw pork neck bones.

Old 09-06-2002, 09:49 PM

Thanks Guys..... I wish I could send you some, my butcher gets me 50lb boxes in each week.
2 parakeets

Old 09-06-2002, 10:20 PM
Valued Member

Guido gets pork neckbones about 1 to 2 x a month. she loves them. And I make neckbones , red beans and rice as a treat for me (cooked)

Old 09-06-2002, 11:12 PM

Hey Roscoes Dad... how do you prepare the neckbones red beans and rice for Guido.... - I am sure my dogs would love that...
Do you ever feed Guido Pasta? - sometimes I give them (once a week) pasta, veggie slop, raw egg and yogurt for dinner... I am not sure how good pasta is for them, I did buy some brown rice so maybe they wil get some brown rice this weekend...

Is there any particular reason why Guido only gets pork neck bones once or twice a month?
2 parakeets

Old 09-06-2002, 11:31 PM

...Oh I just realized the Pork neckbones, red beans and rice was for YOU :p NOt Guido ;)
2 parakeets

Old 09-07-2002, 12:01 AM

I feed them all the time, usually once or twice per week, never a problem except few moths ago he didn't want to eat them. They are easy to find in my area and pretty cheap. Beef necks are different story, too hard for my lazy bum.

Old 09-07-2002, 02:29 AM

Janet - Pork neckbones are plentiful in this area. The major grocery stores carry them as a stock item. The 'shape' depends on who's doing the cutting. The one store here cuts them in square chunks, and the other store cuts them in a longer strip, almost resembling a rib cut. I alternate the pork neckbones with
beef necks and beef ribs for the late-night 'snack'.
One day last wk I 'cooked' up a variety of these bones with some old veggies and a clove of garlic, and used the 'broth' to add some 'flavor' to her p.m. meals. Wow, was that a hit with Diva! She's been looking in her bowl all week like "ok, where's the soup?" lol
kathy

Old 09-07-2002, 08:15 AM
Valued Member

I give her neckbones about 1-2x a month just as a matter of choice, no real reason behind it. Its like a special meal for her.

Old 09-07-2002, 02:59 PM

I use to get them from my local grocery store, I discovered my butcher can get them "dirt" cheap for me... he got a 30lb box for me yesterday and they were huge - rib/vertabrae (sp) - I just felt the rib end looked sharp and was concerned about splintering...

... can someone put my mind at rest once and for all - is it safe to give RAW Pork.... are the parasites an issue? I keep hearing conflicting arguments about this and now I have a freezer full, I am wondering if I should feed them sparingly...
2 parakeets

Old 09-07-2002, 04:05 PM

Hi Janet - I've been feeding ground raw pork, pork heart, liver and kidneys, as well as pork brisket and neckbones since the
Diva-girl was a young pup. She's almost 2.5yrs now, and has
had no parasites lurking within. The stool exams at the vet have
yielded no worms or parasites. I have an article 'somewhere' amidst the rubble of my notes from reading, and I'll look for it. I know it stated that trichinosis no longer poses the threat it had in the past. The pork is now hard-frozen before it hits the grocer's. I also know for one's peace of mind, you can freeze the pork at home, for 3 wks, and that would destroy any parasites, should you be concerned. Hope this helps you!
kathy

Old 09-07-2002, 04:33 PM

I found it!

Janet - Here's an article on the pork concerns. It's apparent that
the risk of trich is more of a concern in wild game meats, even with the deep-freezing methods.
http://www.abs.sdstate.edu/flcs/ecoli/trich.htm

I've fed fresh ground pork from the store, out of the package and into the bowl. I truly believe that the pork farmers' feeding methods to hogs, have improved and that has significantly reduced the incidence of trichinosis. But please, feed what you're comfortable with. If you don't want to feed raw pork, it's ok!
kathy

Old 09-08-2002, 08:43 AM
Valued Member

Kathy is correct about pig farming in the present. I eat my own pork medium, in the old days I would not dare to eat pork unless it was well to well done. I have no problem giving Guido raw pork, but wether you feed your dog raw pork is something you need to be comfortable with. The first time I gave her neckbones I was a little concerned about the size and shape of the bones and kept an eye on her to make sure she ground them up good before swallowing. If your dog is a good chewer and grinds her bones before swallowing she should be ok.

Old 09-08-2002, 10:04 AM

That's great - thanks so much Kathy...you are such a fountain of knowledge:)

....I feel better now... so pork neck bones it is for tonights snack.

...Oh Kathy just one other question... you said you feed pork brisket...I had not heard of Pork brisket, I get an abundance of beef brisket - which is awesome because the bone is so soft they can eat the whole thing - even my "fussy" little shep/mix loves the beef brisket... I will check with my butcher and see if he can get me pork brisket also... is it fatty? - I find I have to trim a lot of the fat off the beef brisket...

Thanks again ;)
2 parakeets