Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2002, 09:10 AM

Best Rottweiler foods??

Hello,

I will be receiving an 8 week rotty towards the end of July and am wondering what's the best kibble for the money to feed my future Rottweiler?

I have heard that probably the best food for Rotties and all dogs are whole natural foods. Is there anyone that has this nutrition program for their Rottie and about how much $$ are you spending every month in these natural whole foods for your dog??

thanks in advance :)

P.S. Any recipies in preparing these whole natural foods if anyone is doing the all natural route?

Old 06-16-2002, 01:46 PM

We feed BARF,

BARF we pay about $44.00/ mounth for about 60 lbs of food

Kibble (Nutro Natural) 8 Kg/ 21 lbs = $24.00/ bag

BARF = $0.73/ lbs
Kibble = $1.14/lbs

These are Canadian prices and this is buying our vegges at the grocery store. Probably could get them cheaper at the near by farmers market.

At the Bridge:

Marley
Myia

Old 06-16-2002, 02:04 PM
Valued Member

40 lbs of chicken backs or necks 12.00 a box pork neckbones .98 a lb about 5 to 7 lbs a month. Veggies and fruits = market price, I do look for sales on Brocoli and carrots and freeze for later use.
Because of the price of veggies and fruits it breaks out about even to a little bit cheaper to feed barf, but barf is time consuming to prepare, and time is money.
There are some that say BARF is best and others that say Premium kibble is best. That is a choice you need to make. If you go the Barf route, read up on it and know what you are doing to your dog. BARF done wrong could mean vet bills down the road.

Old 06-16-2002, 02:26 PM

Barf without a doubt for me.
Like Roscoe's dad said it is time consuming. No it isn't rocket science, but you do need to understand the nutritional requirements of a dog. I read up on barf for months and bought several books reading them cover to cover and asked MANY questions.
I started by adding fruits and veggies to my dogs diets.
After a few months of that, I made the plunge and went 100% barf.
I just finished giving my dogs their mid-day fruit snack. Today it was cantaloupe. They LOVE all types of fruit. :)

Old 06-17-2002, 02:24 AM

My girl is also raw fed, grain-free. Please follow the advice given and read about the diet. Raw feeding is NOT about just dropping raw meat in the dog's bowl. It's important that the diet is varied, and the ratios of calcium to phosphorus are balanced.
The problem with kibble is it's the same food day in and out.
When feeding a species-appropriate diet, you feed your dog as you'd feed yourself...lots of variety!
A young puppy can start on a raw diet as early as 4 wks. A good, easy-to-read book for beginner's is "Switching to Raw" by Sue Johnson. If you're interested, check it out www.switchingtoraw.com
Also, an excellent raw diet recipe for very young puppies is here:
http://www.b-naturals.com/spr00.htm
Best wishes to you and your new pup. Ask questions too, we're here to help each other!
kathy

Old 06-17-2002, 12:19 PM

I use..

Wellness Supermix 5 (Chicken). It's a premium kibble. He gets it twice a day. I also add a very small amount (maybe a tablespoon) of their (Wellness) canned chicken to his evening kibble. It is all consumed in a matter of a couple minutes.

Old 06-17-2002, 12:46 PM

I feed Canidae...its a wonderful kibble! I swear by it. My boy put on a well needed 12lbs, and his coat is the shiniest. I always have people commenting on how beautiful and shiny his coat is. They always think that he just had a bath...I am like yeah 2 months ago!!

His eyes are much brighter than when he was on the Nutro Natural Choice Chicken and Rice, but that is another good food as well I guess. Some dogs don't do well on foods other dogs do wonderful on. Its a trial and error thing I guess...

Wish you the best of luck finding a wonderful food!

Old 06-17-2002, 07:36 PM

I also feed Canidae - the best dog food in my opinion. I add to it a teaspoon of Abady canned dog food. This works well for me :)

Mommy to:
Isa the teenie cihuahua
Bandit the woncer-mutt rescue pitte
Ella - the 5 year old human child :)

Old 06-28-2002, 07:36 PM

I work for a Natural Foods Co-op and we feed Wysong kibble in the A.M. and for the P.M. meal we feed Wysong kibble mixed with Petgard canned,Petgard Yeast Powder and some yogurt.

Old 06-28-2002, 08:24 PM
Valued Member

Canidae kibble is still on the top of my list. 31.99 for 40 pounds! Great kibble........amoung others. But this one is the most convenient for me to get too...:D

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Old 06-28-2002, 09:49 PM
Valued Member

rottnkidd:

"The problem with kibble is it's the same food day in and out."

This doesn't have to be true. We rotate between the three Wellness meat-based formulations.

I assure you from taste tests I've personally conducted they don't taste the same.

Our dogs also get treats of frozen raw beef marrow bones and are also fed fruits & veggies.

Old 06-29-2002, 02:24 PM

Consider Innova. A wonderful food...learn more at www.naturapet.com.

Good luck

Old 06-29-2002, 03:41 PM

My three all eat Canidae and love it. It's one of the best kibbles I've ever fed....my vote is for Canidae!

Sara;)

Old 06-29-2002, 09:16 PM

Mya eats Innova- it is a wonderful super premuim kibble, which I would highly recommend. However there are also other wonderful kibbles, such as Canidae that others have mentioned. Good luck with your new puppy!! :D

Old 06-29-2002, 11:51 PM

My top 5

Canidae, Innova, Solid Gold, California Natural, and Wysong.