Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2002, 07:33 PM

How do you get paint out of dog's fur?

My sister just called me and said her pup somehow managed to get a smear of paint on his backside and she doesn't know how to remove it.

She says the hair is to short to clip and she tried giving him a bath but that didn't work.

Has anyone here dealt with this before and if so could you give me some ideas on how to remove paint from the fur?

Old 04-08-2002, 08:53 PM

I don't know how good of advice this :

What type of paint? If there's not a whole lot, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Try brushing or combing it out gently.

LOL, I asked my hubby what he'd do if that happened to us and he said he'd take a little rag with a little paint thinner and rub it, trying not to touch the skin and then bathe the dog after! I don't think so!!! NOT what I'd do! Personally, I feel better about using a brush or a comb on the dog and work it out gently...

Old 04-08-2002, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.:)

Someone else had also suggested paint thinner but she is afraid it will cause chemical burns or he'll try to lick at it and get more toxins into his system.

She didn't say what kind of paint it was, I'll have to ask tomorrow.

He's a four month old, short haired mix breed and being a pup he is always trying to get into something so she is busy crate training him.LOL

Old 04-08-2002, 10:45 PM
Valued Member

Before you use paint thinner try peanut butter or butter. Just a suggestion;)

Old 04-08-2002, 10:48 PM

Paint thinner seems very drastic...
When I stupidly painted Buddy's leg with bright red fingernail polish (thinking that would kill a tick) I just let it go....he had a big patch of bright red for a while, but it soon was brushed away. I agree with the others who suggest brush it away. If he's not a show dog, what's the hurry?

Old 04-09-2002, 11:21 AM

I have heard that Pert shampoo will take paint out of human hair. I've never tried it so I don't know if it works or not, but it would be worth a try.

Old 04-09-2002, 11:30 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone.:)

I'll let her know about the peanut butter and pert shampoo and if that doesn't work I'll tell her to just let it grow out.:)

Old 04-09-2002, 11:35 AM

Try some of that hand cleaner that removes grease and paint. I think it's called Goop. I believe there are several different brands and it will remove a lot of different stuff. You can find it at an automotive supply or walmart.

Morgen Vom Haus Norton (7-21-09)
Gesta Vom Blaurasen (12-10-05)
~~~
Gheita(Dobe) 83-95
Bear 86-97
Abbey 91-95
Sara 95-03
Jackson 95-99
Kai 94-03
Marshall 00-10
Lambie Pie ?? to 11

Old 04-10-2002, 11:02 PM
Valued Member

Alaskan:

Why doesn't your sister just take a pair of scissors and cut off the painted fur? I'd just cut away or shave all the fur with paint and have done with it. The fur will grow back.