Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2002, 10:29 AM

marrow bones--is that what I got?

OK, I finally caught the head butcher at my grocery store to ask about marrow bones. I told him they were for my dog, I described them as you guys described how they should be.

Femur
2 inches (mine are actually about 3 1/2 total)

I don't think that he gave me what you guys are describing as a marrow bone because the marrow is not accessible. Secondly it was like 3 bones connected by cartlidge or something. I dont like this because when she makes her way through the cartlidge, I'm afraid that the smaller, individual pieces of bone might cause her to choke. Daisy was in dog heaven with this bone and I'm not unhappy but I do have a few questions.

Is the marrow an important part of the reason for giving the bone from a human standpoint? Part of the reason why I don't think I got the right thing is that there was not marrow to scoop out (I read that might upset their stomach at first and spent 10 minutes looking for it to no avail).

The cartlidge like stuff that is holding the bone together, is it safe to have that unrefrigerated like all day? It seems like it would have tons of bacteria (especially after Daisy wrestled it to the ground and rolled it around on the grass) that might make her sick.

That bone kept her busy ALL Day and I mean all day. The cat ran in a circle around her trying to get her to play (Daisy looked at her for maybe 2 seconds...then back to the bone). Even snacks were met with casual interest. OK, awaiting your feedback.

Daisy--rottie mix
Toby--terrier mix

Old 01-16-2002, 11:01 AM

photo

http://www.thepetcenter.com/xra/boneraw1.jpg

here is a photo of the kind of marrow bones I give my dogs.

Old 01-16-2002, 11:05 AM

Worth a thousand words!

Thank you. I have the wrong thing. Any info on the is the marrow good for them and thats why you feed it?

Daisy--rottie mix
Toby--terrier mix

Old 01-16-2002, 11:13 AM

If you do a search on the net using "marrow bones for dogs" you'll get a bunch of links with a tremendous amount of detail,
here's one - but this guy is pretty negative.
http://www.thepetcenter.com/xra/bonecomp.html

my understanding is that marrow is mainly fat, but has some minerals. the biggest benefit to giving marrow bones is that it really helps scrape tartar off dog's teeth. and dogs just love them, keeps them busy for hours.

ladawn, i don't know for certain that what you gave your dog is wrong, i just sent the photo as an example of what i think marrow bones are...maybe what you got is okay <?> just not a marrow bone.

Old 01-16-2002, 11:33 AM
Valued Member

If it is keeping her occupied, I don't think I see a problem. The Marrow in a marrow bone is sort of a treat more than anything else.:)

Old 01-16-2002, 12:03 PM

lol, don't be paranoid about the marrow bone, just about any beef bone will be fine with her (think she is letting you know that lol). Knuckle and other bones are just fine.

Old 01-16-2002, 06:14 PM

Sounds like you got the knucke attached to the marrow bone. I give these to the dogs also, but take them away before they finish them. Too much of a good thing sends them both running for the great outdoors. I prefer the marrow bones, but I usually get a mix from the butcher.

Old 01-21-2002, 05:10 PM

Soup Bones

The pictures that Soapie&Buddy'sMom posted look to me like soup bones... in fact my butcher even has them in the display case labeled as such.

I don't know if this is the "formal" butcher term for them, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to ask for them by this name instead...

A word of advice though... probably best to keep these bones outside or on a hard floor, since they are MESSY... Diesel chews little bits off of it and they end up stuck to the carpet everywhere.

-Sam

Old 01-21-2002, 11:28 PM
Valued Member

I have the butcher cut them like the bone in the left of Soapie's picture. At first I carried a sterilized bone around with me to show them until it dawned on me to ask the butcher what I should call it when I come back ......he said it's a center cut femur. :)

Old 01-23-2002, 08:48 PM

If think you were serving knuckle bones. These are the ONLY type of bones my rotti is allowed. When he was a puppy, he figured out that the if he dropped the marrow bone numerous times on the patio, the marrow would fall out in almost a whole piece:D Great for him, dangerous as the bones would splinter. Mondo knows there is no such luck with the knuckle bones, so that is all he is allowed now.:D

Old 01-31-2002, 03:55 PM

RE: Marrow bones--is that what I got?

EVERYTHING YOU'LL EVER WANT TO KNOW ABOUT MARROW BONES! (Been using them for years!)

The picture that Soapy's link goes to is definitely what we here in New York call a marrow bone. Others call them soup bones, and who knows what else, depending upon where you live in this great country of ours.

In the supermarkets and butcher shops around me, they sometimes cut them in 1 1/2 to 3 inch lengths, which is perfect for dogs because they can get at all the marrow. (Also look at the things before you buy and try to get ones with a large opening where the marrow is. Some have such a small opening that the dog's tongue can't get in there.)

Other butchers will cut them in lengths as long as 6 or 7 inches. These are pretty useless unless you want to torture your dog for hours! When I can only find these long cuts, I take the package and go to the meat counter and ask the butcher to cut them into shorter pieces, and they always oblige.

Some marrow bones will be almost bare on the outside (just white bone), while others may have a fair amount of meat hanging on them. I always try to grab the ones with a little meat left on them.

The marrow does has fat, but it also is rich in amino acids, minerals, and other nutrients. However, as some previous messages have pointed out, the real purpose of marrow bones, as far as dogs are concerned, is to give them a bone to chew that is filled with tempting stuff that is moderately difficult to get to. The effort to get the marrow, and the biting and scraping of the dog's teeth on the bone are a major aid in dental health, removing plaque and helping to clean the teeth.

101 THINGS TO DO WITH MARROW BONES:

1) Boil the bones in an uncovered pot on medium heat for several hours to reduce the water to a yummy marrow stock. Then use the cooled stock to make a special meal for your dog, such as pouring it over dry kibble overy now and then. You can get most dogs to eat any kibble, no matter how fussy they are, if you soak it in marrow juice! Yummy!

2) Do the marrow bone thing and let the dog chew on the bone and then discard it as "used."

3) Put the empty marrow bones through the dishwasher, or clean them thoroughly by hand to remove any remaining meat or marrow. You now have a perfect chew toy that is great for the teeth that is the equivalent of some plastic or rawhide piece of junk that you would pay $10.00 for in a pet store! Stuff the now empty marrow bone with the food of your choice (or of your dog's choice). Peanut butter, embedded with some kibble, is a favorite around here. Once your pet has again scraped his teeth clean, gotten his treat, and discarded the bone, repeat this step. We have four marrow bones that are just the right shape and size that we have been recycling for six months this way!

4) Same as 4, but prepare a couple bones in secret and hide them around the house for the dog to find when he least expects it.

5) Ever see the question on the Forum Board: How do I get my dog to swallow a pill? Fill that marrow bone hole up with creme cheese, peanut butter, canned dog food, whatever... and jam that pill right in there. Problem solved, teeth cleaned again, and back in the dishwasher.

6) Also, if you leave even empty unfilled marrow bones around here and there on the floor, most dogs will during a boring moment chew them, move them, bury them, dig them up, etc. I have four dogs who are constantly playing hide and seek, hiding marrow bones from each other!

7) Stick a clean and unfilled marrow bone right into your dog's kibble at supper time. Let some of the kibble get inside the bone. Brushing your teeth while eating, we call it.

8) Collect all the marrow bones you buy and keep them in a special box. Occasionally put this box full of dozens of bones on the floor or outside and let your dog discover it and pick out the best one, or paw through it to try out several! More teeth cleaning.

9) In all their uses, marrow bones have the advantage of being close to indestrucible. I have a hundred pound Rottweiler who will crunch a T-bone or Porterhouse bone into five pieces with a single bite and them swallow them whole, but he's never cracked a marrow bone. They are the safest bone you can give a dog.

10) Put a rope through a dozen or more marrow bones and tie it in a ring. Another $10.00 dog toy!

Well, I'll let you think up the remaining 91 uses, but I'll tell you, we buy marrow bones at least once a week, and the only thing I know how to use in more ways is duct tape!

Old 01-31-2002, 04:29 PM

impressive list barry...

you seem to be quite versed in the 'marrow bone' matters

Old 01-31-2002, 06:31 PM

Re: RE: Marrow bones--is that what I got?

Wow, I thought I was an expert on marrow bones, but I am far outmatched by Barry! This was a very good informative post, thanks for all the information! I especially like the idea of saving them in a big box and then bringing it out as a surprise.

One question for you -

Quote:
Originally posted by BarryMcD

9) In all their uses, marrow bones have the advantage of being close to indestrucible. I have a hundred pound Rottweiler who will crunch a T-bone or Porterhouse bone into five pieces with a single bite and them swallow them whole, but he's never cracked a marrow bone. They are the safest bone you can give a dog.

!
Are these cooked steak bones? I actually give my dogs cooked beef bones on occasion but I think it might be wrong. They have never had a problem but I have heard many horror stories here and elsewhere that the cooked beef bones will often splinter and can do serious damage to your dog's insides. But then I have also heard from a minority of people that cooked beef bones (never poultry) are okay.

Old 01-31-2002, 06:46 PM
Valued Member

The butcher told me that the beef femur bones are less likely to splinter or break if they're cooked, which appears to be in complete contrast to what I've seen posted. I haven't tried it yet, I've been giving them raw...but I think I'll cook the next one and see how it goes. Now, what to do with all that delicious marrow bone soup that Luna can't have...................

Old 02-01-2002, 12:37 AM

One warning about marrow bones (any bone actually), never let the dog have them unsupervised. I once gave Maggie a marrow bone outside in her pen to keep her occupied while I went out for a couple of hours. When I came back, she had her bottom teeth stuck in the hole in the bone and couldn't get them out. Luckily, I was able to unwedge the bone and remove it. Did I ever feel stupid and guilty. :o

Since that episode, I have heard of this happening to other dogs and the only way to get it off was to go to the vet, put the dog under and saw the bone off. Try and make sure the holes in the ends are too big or too small for the dog to wedge its teeth in them.

I have also found that the knuckle end of the femur, the part they actually can crunch up and eat is the best for cleaning teeth. The knuckle end doesn't splinter, it seems to break into small crumbly pieces (when it's raw). I do take it away when the bone is down to a size she could swallow whole. It's hard to find the knuckle end, but sometimes you'll see it in a package of soup bones.

I do know the type of bone you're referrring to, ladawn, with the three little bits and lots of cartilage. I'm not 100% sure, but I'd guess that this is the end of the femur bone that connects in the knee. I think the knuckle is the other end, that goes into the hip.