Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Novice Member

how to get a dog on antibiotics to eat

I have a 2 year old female that just had pups 6 days ago.

She is on antibiotics, 5 pills a day and I have a week still to go and she will not take them.

I have tried hiding them in food, mixing with food, shoving them down her throat, and just now crushing and mixing with warm water and using a syringe to squeeze in the back of her throat. I may have gotten 1 in her with that ordeal.

The pills stink to my nose, so can imagine to a doggies nose they must be horrific smelling.

The pills have also affected her appetite. Due to her nursing, I am having to hand feed her. I have tried various mixtures which she may only take a bite of or eat it all, about 1/2 cup. She is drinking enough.

Suggestions on foods to eat with lack of appetite and suggestions on ways to get her pills in her would be appreciated.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:51 AM

Re: how to get a dog on antibiotics to eat

Maybe your vet can prescribe an antibiotic that doesn't smell as bad? Talk to him/her.
The antibiotic may be upsetting her stomach and she knows this.

What food does she normally eat?

Sometimes dogs will go for that crappy grocery store canned dog food since plenty of flavorants have been added to it to make it tasty to them. Not the greatest stuff but it may help keep her from loosing weight.

As far as flavors, my dogs love sauteed chicken liver, Vienna sausage, dog food in the sausage loaf form, peanut butter, sardines, stews, gravy, scrambled eggs with cheese etc.

Try some baby food. Try some honey.

An easy way to feed pills is punch a slit in a portion of wiener, stuff the pill in and toss to the dog. Prime them for this by tossing a piece of wiener to them before and AFTER the loaded piece to keep them from spitting it out if they taste something.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:08 AM

Peanut butter--put pill in a glob and stick in to the roof of her mouth.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 PM

Peanut Butter works for me as well - it also has a strong smell so it may mask the antibiotic smell

Old 07-31-2012, 02:19 PM

Gaea was on antibiotics for Lymes Disease earlier this year an we had a tough time getting her to take them too. She also wasn't eating well either. I think the meds were upsetting her tummy. The Vet advised we give her Pepcid every day. That seemed to help her tummy and she ate a bit better.

It didn't matter what I put the pill in, she spit it out every time. I ended up shoving them down her throat and she then got a cookie to wash it down.

We went through tons of food trying to get her to eat. I was hand feeding her too. What ended up working was Merrick's canned food. It comes in a ton of flavors so she got something different every day. I mixed it with some of her dry food so she was getting enough calories.

Terra
Gaea

^Thor^
^Maia^
^Loki^

Old 07-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Novice Member

she normally has a great appetite and loves weiners, cheese, peanut butter, you name it...but first day I put the pill in a weiner, next day she caught on and spit the pill out of the weiner. then I put it in a small cube of cheese, same - she took it first day, second day spit out the pill. I mixed it in with ground beef and cottage cheese, and wont eat it at all.
Last night I crushed it, put it in warm water, into a syringe and forced it into her - she did not swallow it and huffed and it all came out.
I will try the BP.
When I sit on the floor in front of her to feed her something, she will get up - completely moving away from me. She has always been very food driven, and trained well with treats, but these pills must really be upsetting her.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Novice Member

Did the PB glob and it worked ! got 2 pills in her with no fuss. thanks for the suggestion !

Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Valued Member

Make sure she has food in her stomach BEFORE you give the pills. Giving antibiotics on an empty stomach is a sure fire way to make a dog feel extremely sick.

Try meat baby food to get her to eat.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:46 AM
Novice Member

I always gave the pill a short time after her eating so she had food in her tummy, however after the first day, I am again at a loss. About an hour after she gets the pill, she vomits absolutely everything up that she has eaten. So for the past 2 days she had eaten well all day, then shortly after she gets the pill up it ALL comes. I will be calling the vet tomorrow - she had a hard delivery and lost several pups due to placentia separation and apparently she was quite a mess inside and the vet really wants her to take all the pills. there comments was they would prefer she had the pills over eating, but my concern is if she is not eating or drinking how is she to product milk to feed the pups and sustain herself. PB was a good idea if she could now keep it all down !

Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 PM

Open her mouth, put pill in back of throat, hold mouth closed and rub throat until she has to swallow. This always works for me

Old 08-10-2012, 07:15 PM

Glad the peanut butter is working. I also will use honey for my adult girl. I am not sure if honey would be an issue for a girlie with puppies.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Novice Member

I would suggest the vet first for something different to get them in her. These Rotties sometimes are too smart for their own good! I have also used cheese. The one thing to definitely try is using one hand to put the pill in something and another hand to mush it together. Their sense of smell can pick up on the pill smell when you just use one hand for all of it. But, if she has decided on no pills, like some of mine have in the past, I would agree with Anita!

Old 08-16-2012, 06:03 PM

I find that either baby food or homemade chopped liver (obviously no onions) helps get all medicine down.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Valued Member

Glad the peanut butter is working. There is an off the shelf product called pill pockets that I use if nothing else is working. The dogs seem to love the smell and they are soft enough that once you put the pill in the pocket, you can squeeze the top closed to the dog doesn't know it's in there. They take it down in one gulp without chewing so less chance of biting into the pill.

Another option. Antibiotics shred my old guy's stomach. He stopped eating, had no energy and just felt bad on the pills. I pulled him off the oral antibiotics and my vet gave him a slow release shot that gives him a 2 week dose. This didn't bother his stomach at all and his appetite came right back.