Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Novice Member

overwhelmed with kibble options!

Hi there!

I've been reading threads upon threads about what type of dog food to feed your rottie, and I am *so* overwhelmed! From what I read, it seems like a few names keep showing up repeatedly - ones such as canidae, TOTW, wellness, innova, orijen, and chicken soup. I am not happy with Blue Buffalo (Wilderness variety) and wanted to ask for some advice on what kind I could switch to.

I live in Connecticut and from what I understand, I don't think pet food stores (PetCo, Petsmart) really carry any of the brands mentioned above. So I guess I had two questions:

- Where are some places where I can buy these foods, besides online? My brief search online showed pretty hefty shipping costs. I know some people say "feed stores" or "tractor supply stores" - are there any popular names I can look up? I have absolutely no experience in trying to find these stores, and I don't think I've ever seen them!

- What are the cheaper end GOOD brands of dog food? Blue Buffalo was already pushing the budget, and brands like Orijen are VERY expensive! I hope to be able to find some quality dog food without going broke I don't want to have to resort to buying something like Iams or Purina..

I apologize, as I know there have been many MANY threads about what brand is the best, etc... but please advise if you can!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:05 AM

Re: overwhelmed with kibble options!

Petsmart carries Innova and Wellness. Canidae has a store locator on their website, so you can key in your zip code and they will show you the locations closest to you. I get the Innova from Petsmart, Canidae from a local animal supply house, and I order Orijen via Amazon, since they have super saver shipping.

Those are the only foods in our rotation, some of the other members are way more knowledgeable than I am about food, hope someone can answer your question!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:09 AM

[QUOTE=gizbo77;1052004]- What are the cheaper end GOOD brands of dog food? Blue Buffalo was already pushing the budget, and brands like Orijen are VERY expensive! I hope to be able to find some quality dog food without going broke I don't want to have to resort to buying something like Iams or Purina../QUOTE]

Almost forgot this part. You get what you pay for with dog food, just like human food. Yes, it costs a bit more, but the higher quality foods are much richer in nutrients and usable calories, so you feed much less of it. It can actually be cheaper.

There are plenty of dogs that do fine on Purina or Iams, but just as I wouldn't feed my kids ramen noodles everyday, I don't feed the dogs a sack of corn either. It's a matter of preference and ability, just takes a little research, which you're doing!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Valued Member

Raw is less expensive for me to feed than premium kibble.

I have hunter friends who give us fish and remains of deer. I post on places like CL and free cycle, asking for freezer burned meat. Friends give me their freezer burned meats. Iíve bought from local slaughterhouses. When pork and chicken are on sale at my local grocery store, I stock up. We do have a freezer that we use primarily for the dogsí food.

(Iíve been feeding raw since June 2007. One of our fosters, Sailor, failed to thrive on premium kibble. After running all sorts of tests and finding nothing, my vet threw up her hands and told me to put him on raw. I did and the change in him was so staggering I switched our girls to raw. Thereíre two pix of Sailor in my memberís gallery, one of which shows what he looked like after being fed premium kibble for 6 mo, the other what he looked like after one month on the raw prey model.)

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 04-21-2012, 11:15 AM

I understand Diamond now makes TOTW, so that eliminates that one and others made by Diamond due to health problems caused by that company in past.

Proctor & Gamble bought California Natural and Evo, so those are eliminated.

Nestle owns Purina, so I x'd that one along with Alpo, Beneful, and the rest.

Hills is owned by Colgate Palmolive, so that one is not choose able.

Just look up who owns the dog food line and that eliminates lots of them.
There is a dog food rating on the internet that also gives some idea of quality.

Right now mine are getting raw, and home made in addition to Wellness Core.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:15 PM

P & G did buy Innova, but I don't think they bought Evo. When I heard that Innova was sold to P&G, I switched, immediately. But you know a year later, I switched back. My one dog that I feed Innova to, thrives on it. And, at this point, they have not altered to formula at all. Hopefully they never do.
As for TOTW, it is my understanding that the only thing on recall from Diamond is the Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice. Now that comes directly from the distributor that my breeder buys his dog food from.
Again, what you feed your dog is your choice. But, do what you can to avoid dog foods with fillers and grains. I have also used Merrick dog foods and my dogs have done really well on that. I just know that my one girl was over joyed at getting the Innova back. She had that as a puppy, and when I opened the new bag a couple of months ago, after having her on other foods, she did a bit of a happy dance, if you will and dove right into her food dish. It was like she knew it was her food again.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:07 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: overwhelmed with kibble options!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vom Schattanberge View Post
P & G did buy Innova, but I don't think they bought Evo. When I heard that Innova was sold to P&G, I switched, immediately. But you know a year later, I switched back. My one dog that I feed Innova to, thrives on it. And, at this point, they have not altwas her food again.
P&G bought the whole Natura line...that includes Innova, EVO, California Natural and whatever other foods that Natura makes.
From what I understand...they have not changed the foods at all...the quality and the ingredients seemed to have stayed the same.

Hopefully it was just the ownership name changed? and not the food. Let's hope everything stays the same.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 04-22-2012, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBunny View Post
Raw is less expensive for me to feed than premium kibble.

I have hunter friends who give us fish and remains of deer. I post on places like CL and free cycle, asking for freezer burned meat. Friends give me their freezer burned meats. Iíve bought from local slaughterhouses. When pork and chicken are on sale at my local grocery store, I stock up. We do have a freezer that we use primarily for the dogsí food.

(Iíve been feeding raw since June 2007. One of our fosters, Sailor, failed to thrive on premium kibble. After running all sorts of tests and finding nothing, my vet threw up her hands and told me to put him on raw. I did and the change in him was so staggering I switched our girls to raw. Thereíre two pix of Sailor in my memberís gallery, one of which shows what he looked like after being fed premium kibble for 6 mo, the other what he looked like after one month on the raw prey model.)
I second this.

I feed my dogs raw, Yes it is a bit of work, but they get minimally processed food for .30 - .90 cents a pound.

Beautiful coats, white teeth and minimal health issues with all dogs I have raised raw in 20 years feeding. I switched to raw after being plagued with cancer and skin conditions.

Granted we did not have the quality kibble that is available now 15 or so years ago. But it does come at a premium price...