Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 01:12 AM

Another Diamond dog food recall

Posted today Diamond Naturals Dog Food Recall
Bronco Andy's Gretchen
T-Rex
Shrek
rescue Dylan
Always remembered MeMo and Chase
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1051364 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:24 AM

Diamond Naturals Recall

I just read this on one of my local news sites:

"Diamond Pet Foods says it is voluntarily recalling its Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice dry dog food because the product may be contaminated with salmonella.
A news release from the company Friday says no illnesses have been reported and no other Diamond products are affected.
People who handle the pet food could become infected with salmonella. Healthy people infected with salmonella should monitor themselves for the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
Pets with salmonella may have decreased appetite fever and abdominal pain.
The product was distributed to customers in 12 states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia.
It is possible those customers may have distributed it to other states."

Old 04-07-2012, 05:46 PM

Re: Another Diamond dog food recall

Diamond foods are manufactured in the same three plants as Kirkland, Dick Van Patten, and Taste of the Wild. I hope this is an isolated incident and not a sign of a breakdown in plant sanitation.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:24 PM

My biggest worry when feeding TOTW! I've never trusted Diamond, but my notweiler needs a grain free food and TOTW is available locally. Going back to raw & homemade food might be in order. I have been trying to get a local dogfood company to introduce a grain free product, so I won't have to worry about Diamond (don't trust Evo anymore)

Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCLorenz View Post
My biggest worry when feeding TOTW! I've never trusted Diamond, but my notweiler needs a grain free food and TOTW is available locally. Going back to raw & homemade food might be in order. I have been trying to get a local dogfood company to introduce a grain free product, so I won't have to worry about Diamond (don't trust Evo anymore)

At least it is a voluntary recall as a precaution because the food MIGHT be contaminated. I like that they are at least being proactive with these situations. Oddly enough, today I just bought some Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul and I feed Taste of the Wild and Earthborn Holistics too. Let's face it, stuff like this happens in human consumption food plants as well. I would rather they err on the side of caution and recall FIRST as questions later.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 PM

I just found out the local dog food company DOES make a grain free food! They just introduced it, last month. Don't know the price yet, but I've got half a bag of TOTW left and it hasn't caused any problems yet, so I'll finish feeding.
Diamond seems to have more recalls than some of the other companies, or maybe they are just more honest. Scary thought- the other companies could be just hiding the problems!

Old 04-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Novice Member

TexasCLorenz - just out of curiousity, may I ask why you do not trust Evo anymore?

Old 04-14-2012, 12:23 PM

Today 4/14/12 someone posted a link on facebook saying that Diamond is suspending delivery of ALL food made in South Carolina plant. Some of the foods that MAY be involved are

Taste of the wild
Canidae
Costco brand
4 Health
Solid Gold
Chicken Soup
and others

I tried calling for info but Diamond is closed on Saturday. If anyone wants the link it is posted on my facebook page for those who know who I am. I would like to pass the link on but I am scared to death to post anything on this site
Bronco Andy's Gretchen
T-Rex
Shrek
rescue Dylan
Always remembered MeMo and Chase

Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 AM

The store I purchase TOTW from is still selling it. Bella is just finishing up her last bag which I purchased from this same store. She likes TOTW and I like how she looks on it, but now I'm worred to buy it. There wasn't a recall for it particularly, but what would you do? Would you change to another food for now?

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:44 PM

I do trust Diamond...always have, always will. That said, no matter what food I feed my Rotties, I buy the bag a month in advance. It takes my three about four and a half weeks to go through a 40 lb bag of Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice. If I'm holding a bag a month in advance, I'll know of any problems before my pooches get to it.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 AM

IMO, the problem with tainted food is that most of us don't know about it until it's too late. Rarely does the recall happen when the food has just been put on the market shelves, it's usually made after many animals become sick and/or die and then the link is made. Some dogs will eat bad food because it is disguised with tasty chemicals.
If Diamond, Champion, B&G or whomever have had numerous recalls, voluntary or not, I would be changing immediately as it would show that they are refusing to change their sources. One recall, perhaps not, however, any company that uses products from China would be off my list first.