Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 PM

veal shank bones?

Are these bones okay to give the dogs? Male is 2 years old and the female is 8 months?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Valued Member

Re: veal shank bones?

I do tend to steer clear of weight bearing bones since they are a lot harder than any others. It might be different with veal, because it's such a young animal. For me it would depend on how voracious a chewer my dog was. I know one of mine would happily break her teeth to get into a bone, so, for her, I wouldn't risk it. But my others have more brains ....
So for the 'brainy' dogs, if the bone is too hard they'd be more of a recreational bone than a raw meaty bone part of the diet.
I did used to feed a lot more of the skeleton of sheep etc, and they did appear to wear the teeth down, although I personally never had a dog crack or break a tooth, but I know other who have.
I've just learnt to be more cautious as I grow older

Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 PM

just make yourself osso bucco, i'm all for feeding your dogs well but veal shanks have much tastier uses :P

Old 03-19-2012, 10:15 PM

We do beef femur bones. The butcher will cut them down one bone down into 3-4 smaller pieces. I give them to Al frozen in his kennel (since he can't contain himself) and he will suck the marrow out as it thaws. After that, he will chew on it from time to time and he can have it out of his kennel.

Interesting tidbit... I got what I think was a cow hip bone from a family member that raises cattle and Al got it in his kennel... after staring at it for 45 minutes, he started in on it and now he'll carry it around the house and settle in for a chew session. It hasn't splintered at all and he absolutely loves it. I think I'll try to find another one from a local processor as it would just be "junk" that they toss anyway.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:55 AM

better use the beef knee cap