Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Nutrition and Grooming Cleaning teeth, clipping nails got you stumped? Should you feed natural or commercial? Here's the place to post your comments and get your answers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2001, 10:11 PM

what to feed a dog to gain weight

Hi,
We have a 4 yr. German Rott. that only weighs about 85lbs. She eats like a pig. We feed her some table scrapes but not a lot. She also eats her dog biscuits that she helps herself to.What can we feed her to gain some more weight?
Thanks
P.S. After reading some of the other threads can some please tell me why do you feed a Rott. turkey and chicken necks, wings and legs?I have never heard of feeding them that.

Old 11-22-2001, 10:26 PM
Valued Member

At 4 years old I don't know if making her gain weight is a good idea. Is she skinny or malnurished? If not I would leave her be. I don't have the breed standard in front of me but 85 lbs for a female may fall within the standard. Feed he a good brand of food and let nature take its course. From the time I was 18 up until my middle 30's I never fluctuated more than 10 lbs 120 to 130. Then something happened and now I'm 145+ with a beer belly.:D

Old 11-22-2001, 10:29 PM
Valued Member

85 pounds is not underweight for a medium sized and boned bitch. Can you see her hip bones or ribs sticking through and is that why you want her to gain weight, or is it because you believe she should weigh more than she does? It is not the actual weight of a dog or bitch that is the quality, but the structure and condition. If she is healthy and fit and unless she is underweight to the eye, I would leave her be. As I said, that is not underweight for a med. bitch.

Old 11-23-2001, 10:07 PM
Valued Member

tooshbud:

She sounds a good weight to me--why do you want her to gain weight? Are you familiar w/ the standard? "The Rottweiler is a medium to large size, stalwart dog, neither heavy nor light and neither leggy nor weedy." (http://www.USRCWEB.org/fcistand.html)

You can judege for yourself if her weight is correct. You should be able to feel her ribs and spine thru a thin layer of fat, and when you stand over her and look down, you should clearly see she has a waist.

"She also eats her dog biscuits that she helps herself to."

What does this mean? That she can go help herself from wherever you keep her biscuits whenever she wants--that she free-feeds on dog biscuits?

"turkey and chicken necks, wings and legs" are fed as part of a feeding program called BARF (bones & raw food aka biologically appropriate raw food). It's the best diet to feed your dog. To learn about BARF, do a search or just start reading thru the postings in this, the Nutrition and Grooming forum.

Old 11-24-2001, 03:15 PM

my bitch is also 4.. she is fit and healthy and weighs about 80lbs. in no way is she underweight or small. big is not better.
as the others say if she looks good and not skin and bones leave her be and enjoy...:)

Old 11-25-2001, 12:23 PM

Hi Tooshbud,

My female rott weighs 75lbs and our male rott/shepard mix (we think) weighs anywhere from 80-90. Like the other folks here mentioned, it is more how they look so much as a certain number they should be. For example, if our female got much heavier, she would be over weight.

Best of luck

Old 11-28-2001, 12:15 PM
Novice Member

We have two Rotties, a male & a female. Our female is about 85lbs and our male is about 130lbs. Our female is actually a little chunky and we monitor what and how much she eats. Like everyone else said, 85lbs is not necessarily "skinny". You just have to be very careful with their weight, especially big dogs, because of hip displaysia. My female has it, and luckily, it is a VERY mild case. But still, I hate having her have something, that she will now have for the rest of her life. It didn't have anything to do with her weight, she isn't that overweight, but I still want her to trim off about 10lbs.
As for my male at 130lbs, the vet says he looks fine. You can see and feel ribs and spine..he's just a big boy!
What do you feed her? I feed Nutro for large breeds. Well, hope I shed some light....good luck!:-)

Old 11-28-2001, 01:23 PM

Question??

What is hip displaysia?

Old 11-28-2001, 01:47 PM
Novice Member

Hip Displaysia

Hip displaysia is when the dogs hips are "off". This can range from slight, which is what my girl has, to very bad, where they need surgery, etc. This is sometimes caused by too much weight. Sorry, if this isn't clear. Maybe someone else can explain it more in depth

Old 11-28-2001, 02:31 PM

my dog

my girl has problems that just started. She used to jump on us to grab a biscuit from our mouth but now she can't jump to get it.May this be that or something else. only time that she jumps like that is when she plays.

Old 11-28-2001, 04:59 PM

Please get her hips and elbows checked right away. If she is hesitant about jumping it can certianly mean that there is a medical problem. Maybe not (hopefully not), but it is better to be safe then sorry. When she is playing she really isn't thinking about it when she jumps. Taking food on command using a jump, she is given time to reconsider. If hesitation is there it would alarm me for sure. Why did you want her to gain weight? That is a good weight for a female. How tall is she?

Old 11-28-2001, 06:06 PM

gain weight

from seeing all the rottwielers that i have seen they have always been big. i don't know how tall she is the vet never checks that. all he checks is her weight. if this helps im 5'8" and when she stands she can just about touch my shoulders with her paws. another thing is it good to feed them chicken and turkey, necks and wings. wouldn't the little bones hurt them if they ate them? i never heard of feeding them that.

Old 11-28-2001, 10:20 PM
Valued Member

tooshbud:

You're asking questions about BARF. Please do a search on BARF and read what's been discussed about this diet.

No, feeing RAW bones to your dog won't cause problems.

Old 11-29-2001, 12:28 AM

tooshbud, as long as the bones are uncooked, they are extremely beneficial (cooked bones will splinter and can cause terrible internal problems). Besides, a Rottweiler's jaws can make quick work of an entire chicken back. Those teeth are made for crushing the bones which, when raw, are easily demolished. I've been feeding raw foods and bones for two years now and my dogs have never had a problem.

Even if you choose to feed kibble, I think it's a good idea to devote one or two days a week to raw foods, i.e., three or four good sized chicken backs and a bowl full of ground meat (beef or chicken) mixed with veggies. There are many posts on BARF on this forum that will give you quantities and types of foods.

Welcome to the forum!
Barbara

Old 11-29-2001, 04:12 PM
Novice Member

my male rott wt is usually 100-105lbs. he's 10yrs, very active, and in great shape except for a little arthritis in his back.

with his previous dog foods he would just stop eating it. and as soon as his wt went below 90lbs, i stepped in. once the vet had me temp give him puppy food to get his wt back on. i think he's basically a picky eater. he won't even eat certain dog bones.

now, i give him a food with 30% protein. this food is typically for dogs that are a lot more active than mine. but since my rott doesn't eat very much, i have to give him this food so that he can sustain his wt.

it's not a good idea to give a growing large breed dog a hi-protein diet (including puppy food) b/c it can promote or worsen hip dysplasia (HD). at the very least, it can cause the dog to have a lot of growing pains. i didn't give my rott a hi-protein diet until he well past the growing stage. my newf has severe left HD and she's never rec'd a hi-protein food. HD is usually past on genetically. i give my growing large breed dogs a low protein diet (21%) and add clovite (mineral supplement) and pure wheat germ oil to it.

and as a rule, i only give certain table scraps. when i'm cooking, i give them the raw chicken skin or the fat from beef. it helps their coats and skin. they come running when they hear me using the cutting board.

my vet told me that i should NEVER give my rott any bones, except ones made for dogs. since rotts are so big and have such strong jaws, even steak bones will splinter b/c they don't gnaw on them. they take one or two chomps and swallow it before it's broken up into small safe pieces. my rott would get a bloody stool b/c he didn't chew the bone up enough.

if your dog just chews on the bones, it's ok to let her have them. but, it isn't safe for my dog to have them. but on the other hand, my dog used to rip the bricks out of the foundation of the house and chew them into little round balls too.

and b/c of my rotts size, i never have him jump for things. it's hard on his body. rotts are not made for that.