Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming > Natural Diets Raw and Cooked
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Natural Diets Raw and Cooked "Please post your questions about both raw and cooked fresh food diets for your Rottweiler in this subforum. Learn about nutrient requirements, how to introduce a diet change, tips on finding fresh food sources, etc."

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 11:50 AM

Deer carcass, bloody meat, freezer burnt, raw & kibble diet

I'm in a hurry right now so sorry if this post is a bit rambled. Gotta get to town to buy sharp knives to finish cutting a deer carcass before the outside temp gets warm.

I'm brand new to feeding raw. Don't want to go to an entire raw diet, but instead want to give it along with kibble. Currently feeding Canidae ALS grain free. Feeding 250 grams a day and doing well.
Saved the heart & lungs of the deer. Is there anything else I should have saved to feed? Just cut up the heart any ole' way or give the entire heart to dog? Only give a weighed portion out per meal?
I assume there is no particular way that I need to cut up the liver. How much liver to give per meal?
Saved the tenderloins and part of a hindquarter for us. Other hindquarter was hit by the car and meat is bloody in places so not fit for human consumption. Is bloody meat fine to give to dogs?
I intend to cut off the ribs and meat between them for dogs. What about the meat that is at the end of the ribs which was/is part of the body wall? That meat is thin and has fat on it. I did read the post about deer bones so I'll see how the dogs handle the long leg bones.

How much raw can I give before needing to add calcium or phosphorus? Is there a guideline say like give 2 ounces of meat and 2 ounces of bones to balance this out? Found a 5lb pkg of ribs on sale yesterday and bought them.

We cleaned out our deep freeze yesterday to make room for part of a cow that relatives had butchered. Three whole chickens were freezer burnt. Okay to thaw this out and give to dogs? Again, how much can be given per meal? Found 5 packages of meat from 2007, okay for dogs?

Was very glad to receive the call from the sheriff's department early this morning about this deer. Also very glad that we were able to process it ourselves. About 3 1/2 hours after receiving the call, we had the meat we wanted for ourselves sitting in the refrigerator to age. I called the sheriff's department back and thanked them. Dispatcher said she put a red star next to our name and would be glad to call us again if another gets hit in our area. I also thanked the officer at the scene profusely. We have been on the list for several years and had never been called.

I will appreciate anyone's advice and help

Old 11-01-2010, 01:49 PM

Re: Deer carcass, bloody meat, freezer burnt, raw & kibble diet

Oops! Should have said saved heart and LIVER, not lungs! Thought about safi g the lungs, but didn't.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Ancient Valued Member

remember all wild game meat/organs should be frozen 30 days before feeding to kill parasites
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 11-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Valued Member

I feed the raw prey model. When Iím lucky enuff to get deer, I freeze everything for at least a month before feeding. There is nothing of a deer I wouldn't feed to my dogs. I donít worry about balance over the short term with the dogs Iím feeding because Iím feeding adult dogs 100% raw (Mox, the dog in my sig is about 65 lbs and DHís Not-weiler, Jib, JRT/Corgi 27 lbs). Balance is achieved over time. I weigh everything w/ an electronic scale.

Yes, you can feed freezer burned meat to your dogs. Friends give us freezer burned meats from time to time. 2007 meat is fine to feed. I've fed meat older than that to my dogs. I generally don't make an entire meal out of liver.

I can't see why you couldn't give "bloody" meat to your dogs--isn't all meat bloody??

That deer was a nice acquisition!

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 11-01-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierrots View Post
remember all wild game meat/organs should be frozen 30 days before feeding to kill parasites
Oops- I haven't ever done that! (neither does anyone else I know) I thought that the wormer in their hw pills (Interceptor plus) with the additional Panacur I give them a few times a year, would take care of anything. My dogs eat a lot of rabbits- without me having to give it to them (they catch them) I fed a deer last year, after my husband hit it (he says it hit him) I've been offered feral hog meat, as we are running over with the creatures. What kind of parasites should I be worried about?

Old 11-01-2010, 02:42 PM

Thank you both!!! We let the dogs work on the hide once we had her skinned. Next time I know not to do that.

A better term would have probably have been bruised instead of bloody. Yep, all meat is bloody, especially from ananimal that was killed versus stunned. I don't know how else to describe it. Upon impact, the blood vessels rupture in the meat. Depending upon how hard the hit, usually the muscle fibers are still intact.

Angelbunny,

The dispatcher probably thinks we are nuts, LOL! I was really excited to get that call. I hate to see that meat just rotting away on the side of the road.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:47 PM

No one would think you were nuts in this county! If you hit a deer on the road, there are numerous people stopping to get it, and if you happened to be anywhere near houses, there will be people running down the road, calling "get the truck". They will stop for a few minutes to quickly ask if you are Ok, but then they are off, after the free meat! Nothing goes to waste here!

Old 11-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla
...A better term would have probably have been bruised instead of bloody. Yep, all meat is bloody, especially from ananimal that was killed versus stunned. I don't know how else to describe it. Upon impact, the blood vessels rupture in the meat. Depending upon how hard the hit, usually the muscle fibers are still intact...
Can't see why this would be a bad thing to feed your dog.

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 11-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Ancient Valued Member

Heartworm pills (either type) don't kill ALL types of parasites and many wild game species have parasites that encyst in the muscle tissue, break open in the stomach when eaten and then don't always travel to the intestines where they could be killed by the right type of wormer. Some parasites require very specific medication

feral hog meat is especially dangerous as Trichinosis is not killed normally by heartworm pills and bear and pigs are typically infected with this if they are wild or feral

Best plan is to always freeze wild game 30 days and that kills everything
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 11-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla View Post
A better term would have probably have been bruised instead of bloody.
My husband always cuts the worse bruising off, and throws it away. Actually the dogs (our dogs anyway) won't eat it, or certainly leave it till last.
We may be talking far worse bruising on our meat than yours though. Ours is 'dog chewed' by the hunting dogs - hit by car would I imagine be less bloody.
Alison

Old 11-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCLorenz View Post
...I fed a deer last year, after my husband hit it (he says it hit him)
In your husband's defense, I can say as a fact that I got broadsided by a deer a few years ago - I didn't hit him, he dove headfirst into the side of my car in broad daylight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCLorenz View Post
...No one would think you were nuts in this county! If you hit a deer on the road, there are numerous people stopping to get it
Even though I am in the "big" city here, I drive a canyon road to work and that's exactly what happened - except they didn't slow down long enough to ask if I was okay ) - they screeched to a halt, threw the deer in the back, and took off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierrots View Post
...Best plan is to always freeze wild game 30 days and that kills everything
How cold does the freezer have to be to kill everything?

Old 11-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Ancient Valued Member

just frozen solid.

IF you have one of those cool sub zero freezers that are NOT self defrosting then you can often get away with just 2 weeks

IF you have a regular freezer and/or one that self defrosts then 30 days min.
Itsy

Old 11-01-2010, 09:04 PM

I have fed veison since starting raw and I have fed fresh venison many, many times. Neither of my dogs have ever tested positive for a parasite or gotten sick from fresh venison. If the meat is a fresh roadkill I probably would follow the 30 day freeze otherwise I feed it fresh or after freezing. I always freeze fish prior to feeding and unfortunately I have never gotten a wild hog so haven't had to worry about that!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:11 AM

I've also fed fresh venison many times although I agree its advisable to freeze it first. Fresh venison sometimes produces eye watering gas with my dogs, no diarrhea no harm that I can see but I suspect parasites or flukes of some sort.

Also with feral hogs, pseudorabies...I am not sure I'd be comfortable feeding any wild hog meat raw.

Royce von der Alten Welt 6.7.2010

Cooper, CGC, CD, TDI, TT, UACH
Daphne the Destructo-Rott
Dutch-man
Bosco the clown
Ajax, my very first Rottweiler in 1985.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 AM

I truly appreciate everyone's help. Thank you for helping to keep my dogs safe. And make them happier. No picky eaters here so kibble is gone in a flash, but you should have seen them eating their pork last night.

I have a few unanswered questions.
1. How much do I need to worry about the fat? Big chunks or thick fat I trimmed away. The fat was nearly impossible to separate from the body wall muscle. Since deer meat is incredibly lean(picture almost no marbling), I am wondering if I need to worry about it at all.
2. So the liver isn't too rich that I need to fed less of it than I would meat per meal? I intend to give kibble in the morning and raw in the evening.
3. Just cut up the heart any ole' way or give the entire heart to dog? Only give a weighed portion out per meal?
4. How much raw meat can I give before needing to add calcium or phosphorus? Is there a guideline say like give 2 ounces of meat and 2 ounces of bones or 0000mg of calcium to balance this out? How do the bones figure into the equation?
I know I may be worrying too much, but this is new to me. I appreciate patience and understanding.

Legally here, a person must have a roadkill permit issued either by a police officer or a conservation officer to take possession of the deer. Otherwise, you can be charged with unlawful possession. The dispatcher said that people that they call would show up at the scene and then not want the deer! Then the officer either has to wait there at the accident scene for someone else or simply leave and tend to important business. I hit a deer a few years ago and the officer was shocked that I wanted the deer!!!! I knew most of the meat would be good (slow speed: low impact: little damage to deer) and I DEFINITELY wanted that meat. I have stopped at a couple of accidents to just get the deer, but waited for an officer to arrive and get the permit. We just started doing our own processing a few years ago. I probably wouldn't have been so excited to get this deer, but I recently decided to feed some raw and I knew that we'd have no money in processing so essentially this meat was free!

In case anyone is interested, here is the amount we have so far for the dogs:10lbs of meat, 1lb of heart, 3lbs of liver, and 7lbs of bones. Weights aren't exact because I used bathroom scale instead of our digital scale. Bones included ribs with meat, sternum and 2 femurs. I ran out of energy so I didn't scrape all the meat off or get all of the bones. Crows made fast work of the entrails pile and only left the intestines, which the vultures will eat today. After our meat ages for a few days in the fridge, we will process it and the trimmings and the front leg bones will be for the dogs.