Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Nutrition and Grooming > Natural Diets Raw and Cooked
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Natural Diets Raw and Cooked "Please post your questions about both raw and cooked fresh food diets for your Rottweiler in this subforum. Learn about nutrient requirements, how to introduce a diet change, tips on finding fresh food sources, etc."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 05:21 AM

Chicken mince or ground chicken?

Hi there
Just started my big boy on raw food diet. Going slow and just starting out with chicken until his body gets used to it. Been feeding him quarter chicken frames - one for brekky, one for dinner - but I am not sure if they have enough meat on them as they are only frames (bought from butchers) and not whole chickens which I have cut up myself. Little confused here ... is there a difference?

Also is there a difference between ground chicken and chicken mince? I asked about ground chicken at my butchers and they kinda looked blank
So I bought some chicken mince which I mixed with raw vegies (bit of baby spinach and some broccoli, cos I read the darker green the better - and we were having it for dinner too ).

If someone could fill me in here is would be greatly appreciated.

Ness

BTW Inca - 55kg 7yo - loves his new diet. Dinner time has always been a joy to him, now it is like Christmas twice a day!!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:05 AM

Re: Chicken mince or ground chicken?

Natural Diets Raw and Cooked is new here at RDN. As such, it doesn't yet have hundreds of threads and a multitude of discussions.

My suggestion is that you read thru the postings here. A couple of URLs on raw feeding have been posted. Reading them will give alot of insight and guide you as as Inca enjoys is his new diet.

One of which is that there's no need to buy ground or minced meat for him. His teeth will take care of whatever needs to be chewed.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:27 PM

Unfortunately, your dog is not getting enough meat from just eating the chicken frames. And eating so much bone in comparison to meat could cause constipation. However, if you are feeding the frames with the appropriate amount of ground meat, that will be fine. (It may be less expensive to buy whole chic or chic pieces, though, than buying frames and ground chicken.) For a fully grown dog, feed 2 - 3% of total weight per day. If you have an extremely active dog, you can feed more. Just do a visual check of your dog and make sure you can feel the ribs and see a waistline. This % should average - over a period of several days/weeks, to about 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ meats. Raw eggs are often given as a protein source too.

There are debates in the raw feeding community regarding the necessity of fruits and vegetables, suppliments, and other protein sources like plain yogurt and cottage cheese. If you want to add vegs and fruits, make sure they are chopped very, very fine. I think they are difficult for a dog's stomach to digest otherwise.

Chicken seems to be a good meat to start with. At the end of the 2nd week, you can incorporate some organ meat, like chicken liver. Just a little, as organ meat is very rich and can cause diarrhea if fed too much. After two weeks or so on chicken, you can start introducing another meat source, muscle meat first, one meal a day, continue with chic the other meal until you know the dog is accepting the new meat. Then feed it both meals, and by the end of the 2nd week start introducing the organ meats.

Sometimes it is hard to get the right quantities of organ meats. If you can't, don't worry about it. Use the organ meats you can get. Remember that heart is considered a muscle meat, and for a chicken, you can feed the gizzards as muscle meat as well. Other protein sources to include are fish, canned or raw. DO NOT FEED Pacific raw Salmon - it contains a bacteria that our dogs can't tolerate. But canned salmon is fine, as it has been cooked. All canned fish has been cooked, so it is your call if you want to include it in a 'raw' diet. Canned fish is the only meat where you don't have to worry about the bones. HTH.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:08 PM

Thanks for that Weltterr.
This might sound like a silly question. But if I buy a whole chicken and cut it into quarters - how hard is that to do? I imagine it's pretty messy, but just the actual chopping sounds pretty hard to me. Would I quarter it so it would make 4 meals?

Old 07-29-2008, 10:54 AM

It's not hard to cut chicken because chicken bones are soft and it's not a particularly messy job.

Get a meat cleaver, a sturdy cutting board, and give the chicken a hard whack.

A quarter of a chicken isn't enough for one meal for a dog. Raw feeders suggest feeding 2-3% of the dog's weight/day.