Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 12:57 PM

Invisible/Underground Fencing

Anyone here have it ?

My backyard is fenced in but the front isn't and I 'thought' about adding Invisible Fencing since I already have a collar and control box.

My house is 3 stories in the back with the main living area on the 2nd floor so I mostly let the dogs out in the front. My Shiba is trained and diciplined enough not to leave our yard but the Rottie pup is obviously a different story and I'd never trust her enough not to cross the boundries nor would I take the chance anyways.

Thoughts ?
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1018708 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Valued Member

Re: Invisible/Underground Fencing

I wouldn't use it. If there's a high enough stimulus on the other side, a dog (especially a dog like a Rottweiler) will take the hit and blow right through it to get out, but there won't be a high enough motivation to take the hit to get back IN. Also, it doesn't prevent other animals from entering your yard, which leaves your dog vulnerable. Uh Uh for me!

Chili von der Frolikind UDX4 OM5 RE NJP CGC
SilverHeart's StoryBook "Pippi" CGC
BamBoo! of Rascaltown BOH^
^Sweet Angel Luna^ 1995-2004

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I wouldn't use it. If there's a high enough stimulus on the other side, a dog (especially a dog like a Rottweiler) will take the hit and blow right through it to get out, but there won't be a high enough motivation to take the hit to get back IN. Also, it doesn't prevent other animals from entering your yard, which leaves your dog vulnerable. Uh Uh for me!
Yep I wondered about the pain tolerance of the Rottweiler. As far as other animals I'm not concerned because I don't and would not ever let them run around out front unless I'm at the door watching or in the yard with them. I just hate to have to leash her everytime we go out front. When I stated that my Shiba was trained/diciplined enough not to leave the front as it is...I mean with me keeping a watchful eye as well.

I should have said that I don't mean let a Rottie out unsupervised...that won't even be happening in the back which is fenced in.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 PM

I have used the invisible fence for close to 14 years now! I must admit when I first put it in I didn't train Sasha properly on it and yes, she would blow through it if she really wanted to. Sasha would lay on the front lawn with the warning beep going and didn't think anything of it Missy is a softer dog and will not go anywhere near the boundry. I accidently tossed her ball just outside and she went for it and got the zap and was afraid to go near her ball when it was sent the opposite direction. I waited until Remi was approx 6 months old to train him on it and he too respects the boundries. I did upgrade the collars to what they call a stubborn dog collar which uses a regular 9 volt battery. I am considering fencing in the back yard because yes, other animals, children etc can get in the yard, power outages the fence doesn't work etc. My dogs are not unsupervised when they are out and if I cannot watch them they each have individual 10X10 outdoor kennels.
12/98 Sasha 10/09 waiting at the Bridge

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Valued Member

Even if you're standing right there supervising, unless and until you have a very high level of obedience on your dog (and don't underestimate the level you actually have), things can happen so fast that all you'll have time to do is watch it happen.......

My dog does not go out the front door without a leash already clipped on. She is off leash in the back and during training classes and has a high level of obedience, but even if I'm working with her at the park I have a 75' long line on her. She's pretty darn reliable at this point, but I have ZERO control over the animals of others, so I play it safe.

Have her drag a long line.....that'll give her a measure of "freedom" and you'll be able to work on, and enforce, what Mick Trainer refers to as a "Lifestyle Recall" - meaning your dog learns to recall in an informal setting when her attention is on something else rather than you (great smells, lizards in the bushes, or the loose dog across the street type of stuff).

Chili von der Frolikind UDX4 OM5 RE NJP CGC
SilverHeart's StoryBook "Pippi" CGC
BamBoo! of Rascaltown BOH^
^Sweet Angel Luna^ 1995-2004

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Had one, would never do another one. Dogs will go through it. As well, a mouse apparently chewed through ours "somewhere" along the 1ac perimeter, and who wants to dig up that much line looking for a tiny break??? rendered the fence useless (this was at a previous house). Don't recommend them to anyone.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:29 PM

So if I'm standing right there with my BB gun or Pellet rifle and she starts to.... I keed...I keed !!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Valued Member

In addition to the problems caused by invisible fences plain old not working well, they can also cause significant behavior problems, especially if they're out front where the dog can see people ("HI person" *zap*, next time the person doesn't seem so good), bicycles ("HI bicycle" *zap*), children, cars, mailmen, etc. This should be a serious consideration, they can cause aggression and fearful behavior, in precisely the same way e-collars can.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:50 PM

I love my Invisable Fence!!!!! I live in the country on a dead end road so there is not a lot of traffic. I love watching my dogs run and play in their acre of yard. I have had no problems with the rottie leaving the yard. The husky is the one I have to watch. When she begins to shed I have to remember to tighten the collar or she will walk right through it. Both of my dogs are very social, they are not aggressive, or fearful, actually the husky is a K-9 Good Citizen (yay, Sadie Mae) My invisible fence is one of the best investments I have made for my dogs.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
If there's a high enough stimulus on the other side, a dog (especially a dog like a Rottweiler) will take the hit and blow right through it to get out, but there won't be a high enough motivation to take the hit to get back IN.
Someone I know owns a female Rottweiler and has an invisible fence. On a sunny spring day she saw a skunk and ran right through it... once they get far enough from the "source" box they don't feel the shock anymore. She killed that poor skunk and never thought twice about the collar zapping her neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey View Post
In addition to the problems caused by invisible fences plain old not working well, they can also cause significant behavior problems, especially if they're out front where the dog can see people ("HI person" *zap*, next time the person doesn't seem so good), bicycles ("HI bicycle" *zap*), children, cars, mailmen, etc. This should be a serious consideration, they can cause aggression and fearful behavior, in precisely the same way e-collars can.
This is something that is even more important in my eyes. I would never use electric shocks on Blade - in any kind of situations - because of his weak temperament. It would do so much more damage than good.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM

Good opinions/info guys. Much appreciated.

I'm on the fence (pun intended) about whether or not to go this route.

I already have the unit and a collar but just have never installed it. It is a highend unit and not a cheap knockoff like you see at Petco or Petsmart. I may try it later on or I may just put it on Ebay and/or ???.

My setup is very unique and this fence would actually only be for a very small area where I don't have fencing...retaining walls...or thick shrubbery. Most of the area is protected by one or more of these...plus I'm in a culdesac so not much traffic BUT yes there is some traffic as well as walkers.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 AM

Plus, it is my understanding that an e-fence won't keep out kudzu. You never know WHEN that stuff will take off with your dog!!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letzroll View Post
...plus I'm in a culdesac so not much traffic BUT yes there is some traffic as well as walkers.
My parents live in a cul de sac (ha, I didn't know you could use the french words in English ) as well... but there are cats everywhere! I'm sure if it wasn't for the (real) fence their Yorkie would have run right through an invisible type fence! He's a Terrier - he can't quite control his instincts and he just chases after every moving thing he sees.

I still wouldn't use one. It doesn't matter whether you have a good unit or not - this thing has a limited working range since the collar is wireless. So if your dog runs through the fence and goes far enough to be out of range, the collar just won't work anymore. And even if your dog goes past the invisible fence but not far enough that his collar doesn't work anymore, how is he supposed to know that it's because he past an invisible line? How will he learn that he has to come back within a certain perimeter? I guess I just don't like the whole idea of an invisible fence system

Old 08-26-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vale View Post
My parents live in a cul de sac (ha, I didn't know you could use the french words in English ) as well... but there are cats everywhere! I'm sure if it wasn't for the (real) fence their Yorkie would have run right through an invisible type fence! He's a Terrier - he can't quite control his instincts and he just chases after every moving thing he sees.

I still wouldn't use one. It doesn't matter whether you have a good unit or not - this thing has a limited working range since the collar is wireless. So if your dog runs through the fence and goes far enough to be out of range, the collar just won't work anymore. And even if your dog goes past the invisible fence but not far enough that his collar doesn't work anymore, how is he supposed to know that it's because he past an invisible line? How will he learn that he has to come back within a certain perimeter? I guess I just don't like the whole idea of an invisible fence system
Right...I know what you are saying but like I mentioned...she would never be unsupervised so I would know the second this happened..still not perfect I know but I would not be depending solely on a wire and a collar...it would just be an aid.

There is also a training process to this...one doesn't just trench...install a wire...plug in the controller...put the collar on the dog and sit back and watch them get *corrected*.

My other dog stays in the yard without the invisible fence and has for 5 + years...(short periods of time and supervised)...that's why I never even installed it in the first place. No I don't expect my female Rottie to do the same and wouldn't want to chance it but if say my wife and I are in the front yard doing whatever...I don't want to have to keep her on a tether the entire time or make her stay in her crate in the house.

Right now when they go out for pee breaks...she's on a leash but my other dog isn't.

Everyone that has seen Kimo...my male Shiba in the yard want to know what type of underground fence system I have because they don't see one of those collars on him...they can't believe it when I tell them "I don't have one...he's trained not to go across the boundries that have been set and he doesn't".

She would be trained the same BUT with the invisible fence for backup and again...always supervised when outside.

I don't even let them out back where it is fenced without being supervised...dogs can jump fences and other animals can get in as well.

I am not 100% on going this route but am seriously considering it so I am taking into consideration all that I read here and do appreciate the input.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Valued Member

I understand how you don't want to always leash her while you're working outside. I hate leashing Blade during winter when we shovel snow off the parking area. He loves playing in the snow so much and tying him up restricts him.

You seem to be willing to do things the right and responsible way. Good for you. I'm glad you wrote that last post explaining everything, especially if a new member or a guest stumbles upon this thread.

For the Shiba not leaving the yard - that's great! I don't think I could accomplish that with Blade - not in the front yard, and it wouldn't be wise considering his temperament. But one of my parents' neighbor owns 9 Huskies and they are all very well trained and respect the boundaries of his property. In fact during winter he often lets them out in the front yard while he shovels and there's a school bus stop right in front of his house, and the dogs wag their tails and watch the kids walk by but they never leave the yard. Always makes me smile He lives right next to a kids playground as well and everyone can go and get kisses through the backyard fence!