Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 11:42 AM

How to keep water out of the ears

I have finally gotten a hole dug in my smaller pasture for a pond. It is about 20x30x4 feet. I am getting water delievered tomorrow mid morning. The purpose of the pond is to swim the dogs and to water the pasture.
Any suggestions on how to keep water out of the dogs' ears when they swim? This will be untreated irrigation water.
Thanks,
Sam CD RE
CH Louie CD RA
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1011391 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:27 PM

Re: How to keep water out of the ears

I don't...

Is there a medical reason that you need to?

Most dogs are pretty darned good about shaking their heads and getting the water out if any gets in.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:59 PM

It just seems like after I give the dogs a bath that a few days later they start shaking their heads a lot. I clean the ears, but what is causing the shake is deep in the ear. One boy is almost done with two weeks of drops due to yeast growth by his ear drum. According to the vet, this boy has small, deep ear canals. I am assuming that water gets trapped and causes problems.
I am just trying to prevent any ear infections. I grew up with constant ear infections and I know how horrible they are to deal with. Even now as a middle aged adult, if I get water in my ears, I get an infection. I don't swim at all because of it.
Sam CD RE
CH Louie CD RA
RB

Old 07-14-2011, 01:25 PM

Yuck, for all of you...

To be honest, I don't know of any way of keeping it out. I hate puting anything in the ears, and can't think of what would work anyway. Does your vet have any recomendations for when you give baths?

Last edited by Noelle; 07-14-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Hey Frances

When my old guy would go swimming he would end up with a lot of ear infections......his ears just stayed too moist all the time.....he loved to swim I picked up some stuff at the vet clinic......basically was just called Ear solution. It has a fair amt of some type of alcohol content in it which helps dry the ears thoroughly after swimming so that ear infections don't get their foot in the door. You just have to squirt a little in and then rub it around....it is liquid and clear just like water.

Heather

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:52 PM

My boy had chronic ear infections from allergies, and thus has some damage to his ear canal. After swimming I use Oti-Cleanse to clean them out, but have also used a 1:4 Apple Cider Vinegar:Water solution that works really well. The acidity of the vinegar kills the yeast and dries out the ear. I would use an oral dosage syringe and put about a tsp. in each ear.
'Maverick' NAC NJC TN-N PCD RA CRNMCL CRNT CGN TT HIC
CH 'Tali' NJC TN-N CGN HIC

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:37 PM

You can get an ear wash from the vet (which is inexpensive) or you can make your own. Equal parts white vinegar and rubbing alcohol.

I take a cotton ball, soak it with the solution and drip it in my dog's ear. Rub the ear to get the solution down to the canel. While I'm dripping in ear, I also wipe it out with the cotton ball. Then let the dog shake its head. You could use a syringe but just make sure you don't put it too deep in the ear canel.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Old 07-14-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
You could use a syringe but just make sure you don't put it too deep in the ear canel.
Yeah, sorry, I don't put the syringe in the ear, slowly put it in just as you would drip from a cotton ball. Make sure not to just shove the plunger down, that hurts! (or so I imagine). For me it was just a cleaner way to get it in and was able to control it easier than the Oti-Cleanse from the bottle.
'Maverick' NAC NJC TN-N PCD RA CRNMCL CRNT CGN TT HIC
CH 'Tali' NJC TN-N CGN HIC

Old 07-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Lola swims almost every day. After she shakes, I take a baby wash cloth,wrap it securely around my finger and place it in her ear. I tilt her head and gently shake it. The wash cloth gets damp and the water comes out of each ear . I repeat this a little while later and so far no infections. Sounds like this will be an awesome summer for the dogs.
I also had a boxer years ago with cropped ears. I used softened blobs of silly putty in his ears. It was easy to get in and easy to pull out. It kind of molded to the ear and is water proof. The problem was it drove him crazy because I think it impaired his hearing. He kept trying to shake it out. He did get to swim a lot but the excessive head shaking just didn't seem fair to him so I dried his ears with the dry wash cloth.
Oh and did I mention that the vet thought I was an idiot.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:55 PM

After my dogs go swimming, I clean their ears out with Epi-Otic.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:22 AM

After swimming I air my girls ears out by flipping them over.. so she looks earless and completely ridiculous. But her ear infections have helped ALOT by doing this a couple of times a week.

My friend also has a cocker spaniel who gets ear infections alot and hasn't had one yet since she started putting his ears up to dry them out. She uses one of those cotton things with elastic that they use on long eared dogs so they can eat without getting their ears in their food.

And when bathing I also have a bag of cotton wool balls to dry out any water that gets in her ear now.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 AM

Lakes and ponds usually have bacteria that willl cause an ear infection rather than just water getting in the ear. You can try using the vinegar/water mix before they go swimming, just a few drops in each ear. My girls went to a day camp years ago that had a lake and they used the vinegar mixture before swimming for all the campers.
I'm confused about this pond? As Florida is really a big swamp,they dig water retention ponds all over the place for the ground water to collect. If this is an irrigation pond where you need to truck in water, once used does it have to be refilled? Just curious.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly3136 View Post
I'm confused about this pond? As Florida is really a big swamp,they dig water retention ponds all over the place for the ground water to collect. If this is an irrigation pond where you need to truck in water, once used does it have to be refilled? Just curious.
The pond is a 20x30x3.5'ish hole in the ground. Dug by backhoe. The water wasn't trucked in. I live in desert farm country of Idaho. There are irrigation canals and ditches everywhere. I pay $230/yr to keep irrigation water rights. What I do is fill out a card telling the "ditch rider" that I want so much water on what day. The ditch rider opens gates to get the water from the big canal to the little ditch that flows to my property.
Since the pond is not lined, it will soak into the ground in a few days. I can also pump it out and use it to water my pasture that the pond is dug in. I am being a little weird in that I want the water to stay for a while before using it to irrigate. I want the pond to do double duty. I have about 3 acres of pasture for my sheep and turkeys. Most people around me grow crops.
I currently irrigate my most of my pastures with my neigbor's waste water that collects in another pond that is dug on the other side of my 5 acres. My irrigation system is setup to use the waste water pond. That pond is really scummy- full of who knows what chemicals and algea. I have one small pasture that isn't part of the current irrigation system so I will use the new pond to do that one.
Meanwhile my dogs need to swim. My old guy, Fizbin, needs low impact exercise. He had a spinal injury several years ago so keeping him fit is very important. Swimming is the best way to keep him moving.
I took some pictures of the dogs in the pond. I will try posting some to my gallery later today.
Sam CD RE
CH Louie CD RA
RB

Old 07-17-2011, 10:04 AM

Thank you for explaining, for some reason, irrigation and water treatment has always interested me. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:51 AM

I use ear drops after baths and if their head gets wet swimming that dry water out of the ear. Haven't had an ear infection in any of my dogs for 10 years now, since I started using it.