Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Novice Member

Can Rottys live outside?

I always feel cruel about dogs being kept outside so I just want to make sure the breed is okay coat wise to be outdoors for a Canadian winter which can get very cold. They will have shelter... do we need to get a form of heating? Their water buckets will have heaters built in so water doesn't freeze over night. They will be able to roam the fenced property and have access to the barn and lots of hay/blankets etc.

What age are they okay to go outside? Should I look for a litter that has been born and raised outdoors and already used to the elements?

Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM

Re: Can Rottys live outside?

No, Rottweilers do not have the coat or temperament needed to be an outdoor dog, whether they have shelter or not.

If you must have an outdoor dog, consider an Inuit Dog. They were bred for thousands of years to live in harsh, often deadly climates and would not mind being outdoors 24/7 with their pack, only seeing their owner for feeding.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Valued Member

I have to agree with Angel girl.

First although rotties love the winter they are by no means an outside dog as their coat is not meant to withstand harsh weather.

But far more important is rotties are a breed that need to be by their owners. They are not happy away from you.

I'm guessing you want a dog for protection as you say they will be able to roam the fence. Please remember that rotties unless highly trained are not a dog that instinctually know about protection. If a rottie is growling and acting as such at a fence line I would be more apt to assume it is a poorly socialized or fearful dog as opposed to a dog that is going to protect.

There are several breeds that would be better suited to your needs and the rottie is not one of them.

**We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant

Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ema-leigh
...Should I look for a litter that has been born and raised outdoors and already used to the elements?
If you want a dog that will do well outside in your harsh winters, you must look for another breed. Rottweilers don't have the coat to make them able to thrive in brutally cold temperatures.

Furthermore, no good breeder--the type of breeder whose dogs you'd want--have their bitches whelp outside and have the dam and puppies living outside.

If you are concerned about safety, it would be best for you to put in an alarm system.

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 11-08-2010, 09:10 PM

I agree with all previous posters. I would never have my Rotties live outside. They are people dogs and do so much better living with their family.

If you want an outside dog a Rottie is not for you. Mine would be heartbroken if I left them outside. They're velcro dogs who follow me and are with me wherever I am in the house.

Please consider a different breed who is more suited to outdoor living.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:15 PM

I don't understand the point of having a dog that is outside where you can't interact with it, unless you are wanting something to guard your stock. There are many other breeds, bred especially for that job, like a Great Pyr. You are looking at the wrong breed!

Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 PM

Hi there, I have owned 2 boy rotties who lived outside, in a huge kennel the size of a shed for all their lifes. They were great guys and snuggled together in the cold weather. Their home was packed with straw and they made nests. When going out to get them up for morning walkies they looked at me like oh no we are so warm. They were in the house when we were home but it was too hot for them in winter. I live in Scotland so not such harsh cold as Canada. My new boy was born in a garage and loves to be outside. I think the coats adapt.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:19 PM

There are many good breeds of dogs in addition to Rottweilers.

I was really, really impressed by a Great Pyr. young puppy in dog school years ago on how well learned so quickly and was so mature for its age. But I'd imagine even a Great Pyr. would need some attention.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenacrockett View Post
I was really, really impressed by a Great Pyr. young puppy in dog school years ago on how well learned so quickly and was so mature for its age. But I'd imagine even a Great Pyr. would need some attention.
Yes they do. Amazing breed. My ex bil has two of them and they love being outside. They live for it. But at night they are brought in the house and are wonderful with my ex bil, his fiance and her kids. Extremely affectionate. But when outside...watch out. No one is coming on that property.

Our neighbors just got a great pyr puppy a couple months ago and he is just a little doll baby. They do seem older than their years.

Scott and Beth ( neighbors) and Timmy ( ex-bil) both say the same thing. While they love their people and will give affection they can really take it or leave it. They are fine being alone.

They do need training though or they can be real stinkers. Gus the neighbors pup as I said is an absolute sweetie to us. He is not getting the training he needs and already at about 6 months old I think they are in for some potential issues. Let's just say at 6 months old if he didn't know me I would not want to meet him. I think he is going to be a bite waiting to happen.

**We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant

Old 11-10-2010, 12:16 PM

It would greatly shorten their life spans and cold weather is bad for arthritis. I'd go with another breed.

I live in Georgia and Sasha the first Rottweiler I knew, lived outside briefly, first snowfall ( I'm talking an inch), she was moved inside despite having a wonderful dog house that was lined. This breed really want to be with their owners.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriajones1 View Post
Hi there, I have owned 2 boy rotties who lived outside, in a huge kennel the size of a shed for all their lifes. They were great guys and snuggled together in the cold weather. Their home was packed with straw and they made nests. When going out to get them up for morning walkies they looked at me like oh no we are so warm. They were in the house when we were home but it was too hot for them in winter. I live in Scotland so not such harsh cold as Canada. My new boy was born in a garage and loves to be outside. I think the coats adapt.
IMO, just because your dogs didn't become bitter doesn't make it right for 2 rotties to live outside in a shed, and that doesn't mean all rotties will react as well as yours did. Nor do I think in a house is too warm... What was the thermostat at? Our home is at 72 and Texas is a big lad and never gets too warm. I believe rotties need a lot of attention and love to be around their owners.

I'm not sure how cold it is in Scotland for winter but I know when I take Texas out for a walk in the winter sometimes his feet get cold and I will take the snow out of his paws :) I live in Ontario, Canada so it may be totally different..

Just my opinion :)

OP : What do you need the dog for? Obviously it's not just going to be a pet..

Old 11-10-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotweillertexas View Post
OP : What do you need the dog for? Obviously it's not just going to be a pet..
This woulde be my question too...I don't understand the concept or point in having dogs that only live outside, unless they're flock guardians or something. Not that I think it's ipse facto cruel to have outside dogs IF they have at least a canine companion, lots of room, attention, stimulation, work, etc.

But Rottweilers aren't LGDs, they are cold-weather dogs but not bitterly cold-weather dogs, and when they get older they'll be really uncomfortable in a Canadian winter outside.

So I ditto the question above, why seek out a puppy to buy, then exclude it from the family by making it live outside all the time? What purpose will the dog serve?

Royce von der Alten Welt 6.7.2010

Cooper, CGC, CD, TDI, TT, UACH
Daphne the Destructo-Rott
Dutch-man
Bosco the clown
Ajax, my very first Rottweiler in 1985.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:11 AM

Angry Re: Can Rottys live outside?

Uh oh, someone I know has her two dogs outside, but they do have a heatlamp in the winter. A bitch and 9 month old pup, that dodgy breeder whom my bf's mum got ours from. And the bitch just happens to be pregnant - again. I'm calling the police when the litter arrives because shes also on every type of benefit going over here.

What a loser!!!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 AM

I live in Perth, Australia, which is quite warm in winter compared to some parts of the world. My Rottie girl feels the cold here even so I can't imagine how cold they would get somewhere like Canada. I don't understand why you would leave a dog outside in the cold anyway?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:45 PM

i live in cyprus ,mediterranian climate!
i bred my Apollo outside and he lives outside in a big cage 2mx3m,as a puppy i had him in the cage -wintertemp=12~10 celcium and he was perfect!i used to go late out in midnight to check him a lot of times (my wife is crazy about the house,she wants it clean and no germs,proffesional issues,shes a dentist)so i had to raise him outside!now his 13 months old ,and i builded for him a stone house in the cage that will use as a shelter!!!!!
my interaction with him is about an hour/daily and its nice for both of us!
soo if the climate is until+10 celcius i think its ok!