Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 03:33 PM

Re: Cats and rottweiliers

I have 3 cats. Two are older kitties (5 and 6) and one is a young adult (1). My rottweiler is great with all of them!

My older cats don't like her, because they are set in their ways and get annoyed easily. They hiss at her sometimes, and she can't understand why they don't want to play! They aren't actually afraid of her anymore though, because they know she won't hurt them.

My younger cat is my dog's best buddy! They lounge together, play together, etc. Sometimes the dog will put the cat's entire head in her mouth (very gently--they are just playing, though why they play that way is beyond me,) then the cat will grab her by the face and bite her ears!

The worst problem we have is that my rottie is clumsy, and she will accidentally step on a kitty once in awhile!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 PM

I have nine dogs and seven cats. I have to say for the most part all of my dogs (six rotties) get along w/cats except one who knows that my house cat is off limits, but she will chase the cats outside if given the opportunity, or any new cat that she doesn't know. I have one that is actually afraid of cats, two that don't care at all and two puppies that aren't sure what to think of them yet. But for my one that will chase a cat that is outside, I don't think the out come would be in the cats favor if she ever caught one. Now I am very cautious of her ever getting outside of her fenced in yard, but I have to say that one of my hand fed kittens jumped in the fence w/the dogs (yes my dog that isn't totally trust worthly of cats) and I am not sure how he got out unharmed, but he did and he learned his lesson not to jump in w/the dogs.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Novice Member

I have 4 cats and i just adopted my Rottie hes 14 months old and an absoulte sweetheart,he wants to play with my cats he bows down low and wiggles his butt and kinda chuffs at him..my cats so far are NOT loving him.For the most part he ignores the cats except for when my cats race thu the house and he believes its playtime ..Im sure they will all learn thier place just hoping its soon i have 4 unhappy kitties at the moment.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Im sure they will all learn thier place just hoping its soon i have 4 unhappy kitties at the moment.
As long as your dog isn't aggressive (it doesn't sound like he is,) I believe they will all eventually learn to get along. I adopted Suki when she was 9 months (that was in March) and my cats are already used to her! The older two took the longest, but within I'd say a month they weren't actually afraid anymore. They are cranky with her, but they are old and want to sleep, while she wants to play and step on kitties!

I have a picture of Suki and one of my kitties in my gallery if anyone is interested in looking.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerlove View Post
My 4month old rotti pup hasn't met a cat yet. He's met two ferrets at a friend's house and we also have two pet rats. He's good with the rats so far, curious but not focused. I let them out of their cage and run around when he's tired. He mostly ignores him. The only thing I'm worried about are cats with claws? When he first meets a cat should he meet one without claws? He's not the pushy want to play type, he's pretty respectful.

Don't worry about cats claws. The chances are higher that your pup will damage the cat, then the cat will damage the pup...If the cat swipes then maybe the pup will learn it's place...

Besides - Declawing cats is cruel - you wouldn't declaw your dog would you?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Don't worry about cats claws. The chances are higher that your pup will damage the cat, then the cat will damage the pup...If the cat swipes then maybe the pup will learn it's place...
While I don't disagree, I'd say with a young pup, it could go either way. I have seen some pretty nasty eye infections--and dogs will sometimes even lose an eye--due to a cat scratch.

I think the cat's temperment is more important to consider than whether or not the cat is declawed. You want a calm cat that's not going to freak out and run away, or freak out and attack. Perhaps you could find a friend with a cat that is used to dogs?

Introduce them gradually. You should probably put the dog in a cage when first introducing the cat. Then let him out, but use a leash (a harness would be better--if you're really afraid, use a muzzle.) Progression is the key.

Keep in mind that, even if your pup ignores a cat that ignores him, he may chase a cat that runs. Introduce each and every cat very gradually. Don't give him any reason to fail.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2010, 02:21 AM

oddly both rotties i have owned could care less about cats, squirrels, rabbits, birds, or any other living thing except for other dogs and flip flops.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Novice Member

I have 2 Burmese house cats (8yrs & 3 yrs) who let Ava know who was boss around here from day 1......most of the time they just plain ignore her, but will hiss & have a swipe at her if she comes too close for their liking!!!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Vintage Valued Member

We have 2 situations at our house. Raven and Sable were raised with the soonto be 21 year old calico, who's still as beatiful and active of a cat only 6. I tell people she's 20, now and they are all astonishment. Sweetie-Pie, or Pie as she is most often called, loves to play with and tease the dogs. She will lie in wait for them to pass and swat a wiggle giggle ball at them. They LIKE it! She beagan doing it with our Cocker Spaniel, many years ago. Of course the fun was he'd jump 6' in the air!

Stetson was not expoxed to any other animals in his young life before me. So, we're erring on the side of caution! They have limited exposure together, and ONLY when heavily supervised or leashed. He seems interested, and is generally known to be a "kind" sort. On the positive side, he walked away from a flock of 20+ tame geese to come to me when he was a mere 10' away from them. On the negative side, he did pick up a baby Robin with his mouth this morning! (see Chit Chat)

Last edited by SABELLESMOM; 07-20-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:44 AM

We have 3 cats ,momma and 2 boys.One of the boys sleeps with the Rott,momma goes on morning and afternoon walks thru the woods together with the Rott and the third one is figuring out that the Rott is no theat.Never would have THUNK It!!!!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybrutus View Post
I am just wondering if any of you rottweilier owners are also owners of cats and how do they get along?
If you go to the gallery I just posted a picture of my 11 year old dog Sensi and his best friend Sasha. She follows him everywhere!! He was raised with cats. We adopted Sasha about 3 years ago from the shelter so we really don't have any background on her. I can say this much, she doesn't like "little" dogs. Hisses and is very uncomfortable around them. But has no fear of large dogs. Go figure!!

http://www.rottweiler.net/gallery/sh...hp?i=15564&c=3

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Old 07-23-2010, 07:27 PM

I have 2 Rottweilers and one Bullmastiff and 3 cats. My Ragdolls dont have a care in the world about the dogs. My 1 year old ragdoll lays on the floor and always gets stepped on. He loves playing with the dogs. We worry he will get sqwished because he doesnt ever get up! The dogs like to play chase with the cats, but overall they all do well together.My rotties have a very high drive.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:08 PM

I think I am the only person I know where it did not work out. I don't know if it was a prey drive thing, but I gave it a year - when I adopted Makita they thought she was ok with all other animals, but the minute I brought her home, was see the cats chase the cats. I tried everything I could to make it work but all they would do was hide under the bed - one was a calico and she already was nuts - she growled at my niece and was jealous and moody... i ended up having to give them to my best friend so they could be happy it was hard but i couldn't take a chance and keeping them separated was next to impossible.

But every one else I know it has worked.... but what is wierd is the cats were totally fine when I brought my first rottie home BUT he was a small puppy --- and they never bothered him and he never paid much attention to them, I cannot explain that one. As matter of fact they actually laid on the top of his wire crate and slept half the time... go figure

Old 07-24-2010, 12:43 AM

We have Joey the Rot , Chole the Rat Terrieor and they get along with Syd the Main Coon , C.C. the found in the foundry ( breed unknown ) and Niko the FAT A$$. They get along good . Except that Chole likes to "play with " Niko . My wife gets upset but when they are playing I always say whip him Chloe ! The are no problems with the 5 in the same house .

Old 07-25-2010, 04:54 PM

I have two cats that were members of my home before I rescured my current Rottie. Bella was 11 weeks old when we brought her home. We introduced the cats gradually and never let Bella pounce or chase. In addition, my cats have their claws :) They get along fine and in fact now sleep together. The key may have been that Bella was a puppy, the cats were use to dogs, and we were very careful not to leave anyone alone until we knew they all got along.