Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > General Info
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

General Info What size crate? Where to find insurance? If it doesn't quite fit in the other main forums, it goes here. We will add forums as needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 09:17 AM

Dog Kennel Surfacing

I am setting up an outside Dog Kennel. What is a good material to use for the flooring/surfacing? is the grass an option? or should I be using some type of surfacing? I saw one link that said pea gravel is recommended

Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 AM

Re: Dog Kennel Surfacing

If you can keep grass growing in there then go for it. I use straw (not hay). I change it out every couple of months. I wouldn't mind a concrete slab at some point. I'd give them a bed to lay on if they choose to. Usually they prefer the concrete.

I don't like the gravel or rock idea because I am afraid of my dogs (especially the stupid beagle) eating the it. I tried mulch one time and they ate it up like kibble.
Jemar's V. Anything Goes Little Loki RA, CGC 10-07
Corabella von der Aunkst 09-10

Old 06-09-2010, 11:57 AM

I have a Mason Kennel, that I don't use now for my weimaraners back in the 70s. Pouring concrete made clean up so much easier.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:50 PM

We are working on our dog run and it will have artificial grass like the main yard. We currently have a 10' x 10' kennel on pavers and it is not easy to clean because stuff gets caught in the cracks. We had the kennel on concrete at our rental house and clean-up was a breeze. I like the artificial grass because it is easy to clean and it's also easier on the dogs' joints. We use a vacuum to clean up the hair and hose it down when it needs it.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Valued Member

How big is your run? Cement is often the substrate of choice for appearance and sanitation reasons. When it gets dirty, you can just hose it off! An alternative is patio pavers. They are fairly cheap, and come in so many styles that you can nearly always find a nice look. They can still be hosed off fairly easily, but odors can sneak into the cracks and be tough to remove.

If you have diggers then the grass is not a great idea. Besides, the chances that you will keep grass growing is slim unless it is only occupied rarely. You will likely end up with bare dirt or mud in all walking paths and where ever they urinate.

Here is how I had my set up before we moved :( The runs were two side by side 10 X 20 foot runs with a cement slab that was 20 feet wide (to cover both runs) and 6 feet deep, into the runs. That leaves an area that is 10 X 14feet for the back area.

In a larger run my preference is a combination of cement, Dry Stall , and wood decking.

The cement for the reasons stated above. The Dry Stall is an EXCELENT product that is used in outdoor horse pens, so it can drain a LOT of urine and has a light, fluffy texture that is very easy to clean solid wastes from and then raked smooth. Usually when raking it I am able to collect all of the dog hair out of the stuff as an extra bonus! The WHOE area can be sprayed down as needed with any standard kennel cleaner or bleach.

To install, we dug down 10 inches and put down a 2 inch base of hard packed, crushed rock that slopes gently into a french drain at the back of the runs. Over that, another 2 - 3 inches of pea gravel for extra drainage and then 5-6 inches of the Dry Stall. The whole area, along the outside, has a plexiglass sheeting running 18 inches above ground (6 inches below and with holes drilled for attachment to the fencing every 12 inches along the top) to keep the stuff inside the run and to keep the dog hair and urine inside as well! We tried railroad ties, but they would get soaked in urine and smell horrible! Plastic can be hosed and bleached and easily replaced if needed.

The cement area is raised an inch or so above the rest of the run 'cause it keeps things looking neat and most of the Dry Stall stays where it belongs. On opposite sides we put in a cedar, prefab dog house. We have very mild weather and my dogs do not live in the runs, so those do just fine. I also like to put a small cedar deck in, on both the cement area and one over the Dry Stall for a nice spot to lay on up off the ground. They are 2 1/2 X 4 feet and about three inches up off the ground for circulation and cleaning. The can be moved to where ever they need to go...

Anyway, after using MANY different types of surfaces and substrates, this is what I found to be the easiest, cleanest and best looking combination. If you use any type of rock/gravel/Dry Stall surface, be sure to give the dogs something to get up off of it. All should be very comfortable, but some dogs like the texture to potty on, but not to lay on. Heck, even laying on cement is uncomfortable for some dogs. Give them an alternative surface, even if it is just a wood plank...

Old 06-09-2010, 02:17 PM

I have pea gravel for my dog area, and someday I want to replace it with concrete. But for now it is easy to clean and since they rarely use it I am okay with the texture. It also allows gus to dig when he is penned up which he loves to do for some reason.